Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs expecting Essendon to renew Dunkley interest

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    To question a player's character on the basis of them seeking a promotion with another organisation on loads more cash is pretty crazy. I mean sign me up to that thanks.

I can honestly see him signing a new two year contract at the end of 2022, he'll be 27 at the end of that and at the height of his powers. Hopefully he'll have another flag under his belt and can sign a 3 year deal elsewhere on huge coin.

He seems content, is playing really well and has his BFF at the club reckon he's a good chance to sign on.
    I'm actually with you.

BUT if Essendon offer him 250k more (125 after tax) I wouldn't begrudge him taking it.

That's 6-7 years worth of mortgage repayments in a year, on top of whatever he'd be getting anyway.

Still think he stays, I'm just a pragmatist generally.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'm actually with you.

BUT if Essendon offer him 250k more (125 after tax) I wouldn't begrudge him taking it.

That's 6-7 years worth of mortgage repayments in a year, on top of whatever he'd be getting anyway.

On which house though?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes EasternWest, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    On which house though?
    That's six or seven years of mortgage payments to those of us on regular incomes.

You'd all be lying it you said you wouldn't do it.

Post Thanks / Like

That's six or seven years of mortgage payments to those of us on regular incomes.

Hard to knock back
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't. There's so many more important things in life than money. I'm 57 and I finished paying off my first house when I was 31 but a few years later I found myself in a situation where I had a couple of minutes to decide whether I kept it or did something else.

I did the other thing. The decision ended up costing me $1m+ conservatively but I don't regret it at all. If I'd stood my ground, kept the house and negatively geared a few more properties (which was the plan) I'd have regretted doing it.The cost in relationships forms and experiences I've had would have been massive. Looking back m so happy with how things turned out.

Sometimes stuff just holds you back.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Completely agree. I think we will even look at our midfield and make some decisions about where we see some players progressing to. If Dunks goes, Lipinski stays, but if Dunks stays I can see Lip looking for opportunities.
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    I don't blame Lipinski if he looks elsewhere for better opportunity. Our midfield has depth this year and maybe more to come so I don't see how he can fit into it in the short term (2-3 years). I don't see Lipinski dominating midfield clearances, bursting through packs with break away speed or clearing zones with long kicking. Hope to be proven wrong, but he does not have anything outstanding or point of difference that jumps out atm.

An analogy would be Heath Scotland , could not fit into Piesmidfield in 2003 ( they had a pretty good year) and ended up at Carlton playing lots of games. Maybe Carlton could be a good trade target, they need depth and some mature bodies in their midfield. AFL is a business and we need to get best currency for him whilst we can.
    I don't think that you can ever have enough good players on your list and there are always injuries to be covered. I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to be clearing Lipinski to another club. The kid can play and will only get better. He's a good shot at goal and I can see a spot in the forward line for him.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually with you.

Based on current performance we should increase our offer to compete. He's a beast just entering his prime.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Based on current performance we should increase our offer to compete. He's a beast just entering his prime.
    And years. From memory Dodoro offered 5 years (Dunks has two still with us), but it’s a 3 year extension in reality.

Dunks has another one with us. Another 5-6 years on top on a good wage like you say should help.

Hunter, JJ and Naughton got 5 extra years. Bonts should get at least 6 years more. At worst, it drives up the contract to pry him out and drives up the trade value. At best he stays.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that this discussion leads to another point.

At this stage of the season we seem to have an inform group, working well together, and enjoying success. The next task will be to hold the group together, in the light of free agency and big money being thrown around by rival clubs. Some clubs have proved to have an amazing record in this area. Others have shown exceptionally poor management, eg. GWS (and old Footscray I might add) when it comes to this.

The renewal of Marcus Bontempelli's contract looms on the horizon, and hopefully we have learned a lesson from Collingwood, regarding poor management of player payments. We cannot afford to go down that track, but loosing The Bont is unthinkable.

Sadly I have no solution, but over the years successful clubs have found ways to keep great playing groups together, and that is every bit as important as draft strategies whenit comes to maintaining success.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I think that this discussion leads to another point.

At this stage of the season we seem to have an inform group, working well together, and enjoying success. The next task will be to hold the group together, in the light of free agency and big money being thrown around by rival clubs. Some clubs have proved to have an amazing record in this area. Others have shown exceptionally poor management, eg. GWS (and old Footscray I might add) when it comes to this.

The renewal of Marcus Bontempelli's contract looms on the horizon, and hopefully we have learned a lesson from Collingwood, regarding poor management of player payments. We cannot afford to go down that track, but loosing The Bont is unthinkable.

Sadly I have no solution, but over the years successful clubs have found ways to keep great playing groups together, and that is every bit as important as draft strategies whenit comes to maintaining success.
    Keeping this list together will probably hinge on the outcome of this season. If we win the flag, it make it a lot easier I suppose to united the group to commit to trying to make dynasty together. If we dwindle out by seasons end well that's a different story.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Hard to argue with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Why Darcy Parish is the Josh Dunkley-type Essendon has been searching for all along

Essendon spent the entire trade period attempting to land a goalkicking high-possession inside midfielder then decided the price was too high.

Josh Dunkley came with a reasonable price tag and the draft demand of a pair of first-round picks that would cost Essendon two of Archie Parkins, Nik Cox or Zac Reid.

By the end of Round 2, Essendon was winless and Darcy Parish was still a frustrated half forward trapped in an inside midfielder’s body.

For all of Ben Rutten’s excellent moves this year, finally throwing Parish into the midfield came through crisis and not clear-headed coaching.

When Jy Caldwell and Dylan Shiel went down with long-term injuries in that loss to Port Adelaide, Parish finally had his chance.

In the past four weeks of the season, it has become apparent Parish is the inside midfielder Essendon needed all along.

And while Dunkley has been on fire before his ill-timed shoulder injury, it’s time for Essendon to call off the dogs.

With the kid-led resurgence well on track and the contracted Dunkley likely to stay at the Western Bulldogs anyway, why waste any energy on a trade bid that will again run aground?

Dunkley, who many at the Dogs believe was swayed by those close to him and never really wanted to move, seems certain to become this year’s Tom Papley.

A star who considered a trade then for various circumstances decided he was more than happy at his club all along.

Before the injury against GWS, Dunkley had attended 60 centre square bounces for the year and was the 12th-ranked player in the competition.

The two-man man-crush between him and Adam Treloar is a delightful storyline, so kudos to the Dogs for holding their nerve and almost certainly keeping their player.

17. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like clockwork; they can’t just have a good thing, it has to be the best possible thing. Essendon in trade week, undefeated and undisputed.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

19. Likes jeemak, bulldogtragic, ratsmac liked this post