Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Johannisen regains belief in his game

Link

Western Bulldogs star Jason Johannisen says an early season stint in the VFL helped him regain confidence in his ability.

The 28-year-old has been a mainstay of the Bulldogs’ line-up for the past six years, but was left out of the team for this year’s season-opener against Collingwood.

He was the medical sub the following week and has returned to the starting 22 for the past fortnight, helping the Bulldogs continue their perfect start to 2021.

“It wasn’t really a surprise – obviously it was disappointing, but we’re at the stage at this footy club where you have to be playing good footy to be in the 23, as it is now,” Johannisen said of his early-season omission, on RSN.

“For me, I just lost belief in my game.

“I had a good chat with ‘Bevo’ and Rohan Smith, it was just about keeping my game simple. I went back to the VFL knowing what I needed to do as a teammate to impact the game and use my strengths.

“That’s going to be the way moving forward at this footy club because we’ve got such good depth – if you’re not performing at AFL level, there’s definitely guys in the VFL who will push you out.”

Johannisen has filled multiple roles over the past two weeks, spending time in his customary role across half-back, as well as pushing up to a wing and closer to goal.

He says the Bulldogs have made great improvements in their game since last year, but know they need to bring their best again to overcome the Gold Coast Suns on Saturday.

The Bulldogs have won four games in a row to start a season for the first time since 2008 – but haven’t won five games in a row to start a season since 1946.

“It’s been a great start from the boys and we’re looking to build momentum and keep it going,” Johannisen said.

“Definitely in pre-season, we thought this was possible.

“We knew there were a few key factors in our game that we wanted to work on, especially defensively…intercepting the ball, limiting opposition inside-50s and our tackling pressure has been unbelievable.

“That’s the stuff we really wanted to improve and we thought that would make us a great side and be hard to beat. So far, we’ve definitely lived up to the standards that we want and we’ll keep looking to improve.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Johannisen regains belief in his game

The last two quotes are especially pertinent on here. Lack of defensive work and pressure was noticeable in our losses last year, especially in that final against the saints. Glad to see it's a major focus. It's so far been evident and a reason for our great start to the season.
    Last edited by bulldogsthru&thru; 15-04-2021 at 03:26 PM.

3. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also don't really see him taking the game on. If he's not doing that then what does he actually bring to the team?

Needs to watch Saad play and get his mojo back, or maybe even watch himself in 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

Remains to be seen.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    The last two quotes are especially pertinent on here. Lack of defensive work and pressure was noticeable in our losses last year, especially in that final against the saints. Glad to see it's a major focus. It's so far been evident and a reason for our great start to the season.
    A lot of people during our lapses focused on personnel last year and prior which is kind of fair enough, but intent has been our biggest issue.

Just showing up and being consistent in the areas that should be seen as non-negotiable is the most important thing, and we seem to be more consistent in that area this year than we have in recent times.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Total puff piece, he has been underwhelming this year
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    So have a lot of players on face value but we are winning and the team is working well together. Perhaps there's something in that.......
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    I don't think he's been underwhelming, more understated and playing a team role, and like a few others, a lessening of their statistical output seems to be aligned with a team that is behaving more like a sum of its parts, as opposed to individuals playing for themselves.