Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Three things you've learned. Round five 2021 v Gold Coast

Tell us three things you know now that you didn't know before the game.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned. Round five 2021 v Gold Coast

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

1. We are 6-0 and 178.6%
    2. Our mid-late trading is sublime: Duryea, Crozier, Keath, Bruce, (technically) Treloar, Martin, plus Schache and more
    3. Libba is still the best one step goal kicker in the entire comp
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    1. We are 6-0 and 178.6%
    2. Our mid-late trading is sublime: Duryea, Crozier, Keath, Bruce, (technically) Treloar, Martin, plus Schache and more
    3. Libba is still the best one step goal kicker in the entire comp
    5-0 but give it a week.

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    5-0 but give it a week.
    Or 5 weeks and then we’re 10-0
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Bailey Dale has really gone to another level since moving to the back half.
    2. Macrae's footskills have also gone to another level. Some of his passes tonight were surgical precision.
    3. Sweet has some very good tap work skills. I can't wait to see how he goes later in the year against genuine ruck opposition, when he next gets a chance.

10. Likes GVGjr, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Or 5 weeks and then we’re 10-0
    Or 5 months and we will be 25-0 with a cup to wave around

12. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. We do have the best midfield in the comp
    2. We have options in the forward line to kick goals
    3. our defense is miserly.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

1. We seem to know what it is to be "on" and not behind the eight ball against both good and bad teams in the first 45 minutes of a game

2. A poor and undermanned side can jolt us back into gear and it's important to us to restore the dominance we claimed. Let's face it GCS were terrible in the first half and allowed us to do what we wanted, so it was good that we took the hit and re-balanced the half time ledger by the time the final siren blew

3. Haven't quite learned it or understood it yet because it's so foreign and discombobulating, but having three very very capable talls in our forward line is something that is achievable and reachable for us, albeit strange since aspiring to having one for so long seemed a luxury we couldn't afford

To the last point, we are five wins and no losses, and having our best start to the season since a very long time ago having eclipsed a start in a year we were a bit stiff to miss out on a grand final birth (2009).......when we didn't have a big tall forward to kick to. A lot of water needs to go under the bridge, but at least if we keep winning games the old "Bulldogs can't win without a key forward" line won't be trotted out.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Was a very frustrating win, never got out of second gear, but still nice to put a team w classy players to the sword by coasting through

2. I’ll need to watch the replay to understand how on earth Jack Macrae got that suns player high in the 3rd quarter

3. 5-0 feels good. Never happened in my lifetime. I want more.

17. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Dew summed it up in his presser when referring to our midfield group. "They are going to be hard to stop. They are going to be hard to stop." The contribution is shared across so many talented players. We don't need any one player to completely dominate ... but inevitably one of them get off the chain and have a big day. Treloar is just some nice cream on top of the cake and is getting better every week too.

2. Naughton is a scary proposition. His ferocity at the contest in both the air and ground is something that I have rarely seen. Combine ferocity and his athleticism and he is going to be hard to stop. I don't think we have seen the best of him yet. He is a freak and worth going to the footy each week alone to watch. Love him.

3. If we are not 100% on our game defensively we can still be picked off easily with short fast kicks that penetrate our zone. Gold Coast made us look silly three times in that third quarter with goals launched from their defensive end which cut through us like a hot knife through butter. Hopefully that was a good reminder.

19. Likes Mantis, DOG GOD, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Wood's lack of foot skills really slowed us down at times. He had a few tricky options that a better kick would have bitten off but he couldn't pull the trigger and had to go down the line instead. Must get the ball in Dale's hands as many times as possible, his leg is a weapon.

2. Kicking 16 points is effectively turning the ball over 16 times with the new kick out rules. GC didn't score a single goal from a stoppage, it was all from turn overs or kick outs. We all know our goal kicking conversion has been woeful for years but it's not going to magically improve overnight, so we really need to tweak our defensive set up for kick outs. Especially in that 3rd quarter, GC carved us up at times.

3. Keath is probably the most underrated key defender going around right now.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

21. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    3. Keath is probably the most underrated key defender going around right now.
    I thought Keath was fantastic yesterday, 20 disposals, 9 marks
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

23. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1/ Those who questioned Bont’s ability to cover the ground after a couple of quiet games were way off the mark. He’s moving as well as ever and he has confidence to take opposing players on with his running ability. Whilst Leigh Matthews has some warped opinions when he says of Bont, ‘it’s like a grade 6er playing against grade 4’s’ it’s some praise. Almost 800m gained and 3 goals, massive game.

2/ Bailey Dale is becoming a really important player within the team. His defensive work was very solid... but his kicking is off the charts good.

3/ Jack Macrae needs to put a patent on the little 20m kick on the 45deg angle when going I50... it’s becoming an important part of his ability to influence the scoreboard which was a knock I had on him.

Post Thanks / Like

1. This team did what it had to do, but I saw a few lapses I didn’t like.
    2. On paper, the team can only get better. I really wanna see what West and Jong (fully fit) can bring to the table. 2 guys who also bring another element to the mid rotations.
    3. Williams is a massive cog to this defence. Prayers he’s not out for long.
    I will never see #16 the same!!