Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Moment: Rnd 5, 2021 vs Gold Coast Suns

The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in today's game against Gold Coast. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moment: Rnd 5, 2021 vs Gold Coast Suns

There was a passage of play in the second, a bouncing ball in the middle, with players racing to it, Hunter picked it up and dished it off in one motion, and I think it ended with Treloar bombing a long goal. Hunter's hands were sublime.

Post Thanks / Like

When Bevo came down to coach at the bench in the third.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

That Treloar goal was the moment for me. Scintillating stuff.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes josie, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say a moment especially when you thrash a team.

Although we were plenty of goals in front, in the last The Bont dodged and weaved pass 4 players and slammed it threw. It sort of ended GC having any hope that they may have thought in their head.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This isn't quite in the spirit of things, but I'm going to cheat a bit because it's sometimes fun to do so.

Bevo mentioned it in an interview during the week, but the moment when our recruiting team realised that we were the only realistic place for Adam Treloar to get to as Collingwood were trying to offload him.

That translated to us being able to see what we saw today with his run and dash, and that magnificent goal he kicked in the second. Who'da thought that adding more talent to your list in an already well regarded area was a good thing, even when you didn't think you needed it!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This isn't quite in the spirit of things, but I'm going to cheat a bit because it's sometimes fun to do so.

Bevo mentioned it in an interview during the week, but the moment when our recruiting team realised that we were the only realistic place for Adam Treloar to get to as Collingwood were trying to offload him.

That translated to us being able to see what we saw today with his run and dash, and that magnificent goal he kicked in the second. Who'da thought that adding more talent to your list in an already well regarded area was a good thing, even when you didn't think you needed it!
    Completely out of scope with regard to the intent of the thread.
    Normally a red card.
    But, as a broader extension of The Moment, it passes muster.

I'd also add, and you've alluded to it elsewhere, that Martin's acquisition has contributed to this as well.
    Both Treloar and Martin have seemingly unlocked a greater potential.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Completely out of scope with regard to the intent of the thread.
    Normally a red card.
    But, as a broader extension of The Moment, it passes muster.

I'd also add, and you've alluded to it elsewhere, that Martin's acquisition has contributed to this as well.
    Both Treloar and Martin have seemingly unlocked a greater potential.
    This is why you'll never reach full moderator status, as much as you might ever want to.

I can't believe how well the Treloar acquisition has gone to date. We pigeon hole players as not being able to hold a wing, or not being able to play an outside role but players get type cast because of where they have played and commentary across the board rarely has insight into the full capability of what players can bring to the table.

Matthew Boyd to half back is another great example of this. Every element of his delivered skill set prior to 2015 told us it was whacky to put him anywhere other than inside grinding it forward.......he's an All Australian half back and a premiership player in that role.

12. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah probably the 2nd or 3rd goal in the 2nd quarter, one of which I think was Treloar's, in the 1st we were cleaner but they were in the contest, in the 2nd is when we blew them off the park

Special mention to Bont's goal in the 3rd that arrested their comeback
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

14. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This is why you'll never reach full moderator status, as much as you might ever want to.

I can't believe how well the Treloar acquisition has gone to date. We pigeon hole players as not being able to hold a wing, or not being able to play an outside role but players get type cast because of where they have played and commentary across the board rarely has insight into the full capability of what players can bring to the table.

Matthew Boyd to half back is another great example of this. Every element of his delivered skill set prior to 2015 told us it was whacky to put him anywhere other than inside grinding it forward.......he's an All Australian half back and a premiership player in that role.
    Your additional editing should also be red carded, but it is nonetheless both a good point you make, whilst also highlighting my unsuitability as a as a moderator.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Your additional editing should also be red carded, but it is nonetheless both a good point you make, whilst also highlighting my unsuitability as a as a moderator.
    It's not an easy job. The fact GVGjnr doesn't drink befuddles me.......moderating if not driving you to drink must drive you to something, and I'm not sure I want to know what that is.

Post Thanks / Like

Bont’s last goal for the game was a ripper and snuffed out the little embers of hope that GC were trying to fan thorough effort and us through turnovers. Snapped everyone out of the fantasy that this was a competitive match and affirmed the idea that we were applying a belting.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the slick hands from Hunter and Dunkley and Treloar's warp-speed running through the middle to bomb the goal.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Bont’s last goal for the game was a ripper and snuffed out the little embers of hope that GC were trying to fan thorough effort and us through turnovers. Snapped everyone out of the fantasy that this was a competitive match and affirmed the idea that we were applying a belting.
    Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I loved the slick hands from Hunter and Dunkley and Treloar's warp-speed running through the middle to bomb the goal.
    It just dawned on me that we suddenly have 2 goalkicking midfielders... 3 if you count Dunkley! I mean we've always had 2 of them but Bont was just so unreliable so he kicked less than he should have and Dunkley was mainly kicking goals when played forward rather than when getting the midfield time we see now.

Bont has 7, Adz 5 and Dunkley 4. For context Dusty has 5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It just dawned on me that we suddenly have 2 goalkicking midfielders... 3 if you count Dunkley! I mean we've always had 2 of them but Bont was just so unreliable so he kicked less than he should have and Dunkley was mainly kicking goals when played forward rather than when getting the midfield time we see now.

Bont has 7, Adz 5 and Dunkley 4. For context Dusty has 5
    It's a great result but lets see if they can continue the form up against contenders. This is where Dusty comes into his own. He just turns games off his own boot and typically does it when it matters most. Bont has the capability. Just needs more consistency with accuracy. Dunkley it remains to be seen if he can really consistently kick goals. Treloar I don't know enough about his time at collingwood to know how consistently he kicked goals.