Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  154
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 8 Vs Carlton 2021

Aside from Chill ins and outs for this week feel a bit like shuffling deck chairs. Thought Wally would come in before Hannan but I suppose we need to justify that acquisition. If we brought him in we're keen on him so can't see him being changed out for Wally.

Outs: Schache, Cordy
    Ins: Chilli, Lewy
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    The discussion on this forum following our first loss have been really interesting. Beveridge needs matchday tactical support, our depth sucks, Beveridge gives certain players way more leeway than others etc. 2020 vibes everywhere minus the ruck problem.

Our 6-0 start was great, but our 2nd half on Friday did have me thinking of 2020. As usual, the reality is somewhere in the middle. Like the ruck problem, the issues currently being discussed on here have been around for some time.
    When we lose, it’s usually in the same way every time. Midfield rolls over and we get beaten in the air in defence. It’s the blueprint.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Aside from Chill ins and outs for this week feel a bit like shuffling deck chairs. Thought Wally would come in before Hannan but I suppose we need to justify that acquisition. If we brought him in we're keen on him so can't see him being changed out for Wally.

Outs: Schache, Cordy
    Ins: Chilli, Lewy
    Agree with this. Give the likes of West, Hannan etc some continuity.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    When we lose, it’s usually in the same way every time. Midfield rolls over and we get beaten in the air in defence. It’s the blueprint.
    The Eagles game was similar earlier this season, thought they had us most of that game.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with this. Give the likes of West, Hannan etc some continuity.
    I'd like to see Khamis in for Crozier. I think Crozier was lucky to come in after missing a big chunk of the pre-season and I don't think he's offering us much at present.

Would also like to see McNeil in for Scott.

7. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'd like to see Khamis in for Crozier. I think Crozier was lucky to come in after missing a big chunk of the pre-season and I don't think he's offering us much at present.

Would also like to see McNeil in for Scott.
    I didn’t mind Scott’s game, but agree McNeil should come back in. I’d be replacing JJ though.

Can definitely make a case for Khamis over Crozier, though I reckon Croz is a bonafide Bevo favourite and won’t be dropped.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t mind Scott’s game, but agree McNeil should come back in. I’d be replacing JJ though.

Can definitely make a case for Khamis over Crozier, though I reckon Croz is a bonafide Bevo favourite and won’t be dropped.
    Forgot about JJ, he goes first, but think Scott might need a spell too, but a 9 day break might be enough to re-fresh him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I don’t know if I’m quite ready to go that far but I agree with you he’s gone backwards a fair way, especially with his ball use. He’s gone from a pretty good kick to a panic merchant.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I don’t know if I’m quite ready to go that far but I agree with you he’s gone backwards a fair way, especially with his ball use. He’s gone from a pretty good kick to a panic merchant.
    Seems to me that this happens to many players who join our club. Has it got something to do with Bevo's philosophy of quick ball movement?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    There's a couple of ways to look at it, but for our final last year against St.Kilda last year Crozier was playing on a HFF which to me suggests he wasn't seen as being an important member of our defensive structure. With the addition of Dale I think he's slipped back further so was surprised he came straight back in when he was available this year after a lay-off through an important part of the pre-season.

Agree on his kicking.. he's very much a long kick down the line now which doesn't really suit our style of play. He's also having less effect in the air which was a great strength previously.

13. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Not really a key defender though I didn't think. Certainly wouldn't have debuted him to play specifically on Riewoldt and a pissed off Richmond. Would like to see him though, but I suspect he is more gunning for one of Crozier, Wood or Duryeas spots.
    I think body size is not an accurate reflection on how he plays.

Buku like to read the play and intercept, he's very athletic and has good playmaking skills like a Crozier, Has a huge leap and is a really good pack spoiler.

I think where Cordy was out of position against his opponent, or he just wasn't athletic enough to spoil, Buku is better equipped to do so.

15. Likes Grantysghost, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    The discussion on this forum following our first loss have been really interesting. Beveridge needs matchday tactical support, our depth sucks, Beveridge gives certain players way more leeway than others etc. 2020 vibes everywhere minus the ruck problem.

Our 6-0 start was great, but our 2nd half on Friday did have me thinking of 2020. As usual, the reality is somewhere in the middle. Like the ruck problem, the issues currently being discussed on here have been around for some time.
    Isn't this actually better though? I'd be more concerned if we were losing in different ways all the time.

Our personnel are our personnel, unfortunately, and I guess after we've tried to remedy the ruck situation we are now left with the vulnerability in defence which we have tried to remedy and will hopefully be a focus at the trade table this year.

Every team knows how to beat every other team pretty much, and it was to the Tiger's credit that their personnel could execute their plans and play to their strengths at the time (which is the difference between knowing what to do and actually doing it whilst not losing your own brand/ identity in the process). We didn't cope, reverted to panicked kicking and eased up in the midfield at critical times. Not sure how many moves a coach would/ could make in this day and age to fix that and this is the thing with systems based footy.

Bevo himself has said he wants quarters to go for longer because it enables more time to adjust and get changes he has in mind executed on the field. I think the reality is that in-quarter adjustments that make a material difference are much harder to make than they used to be, which is probably why many of us are concerned with our on-field leadership lacking at times.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Isn't this actually better though? I'd be more concerned if we were losing in different ways all the time.

Our personnel are our personnel, unfortunately, and I guess after we've tried to remedy the ruck situation we are now left with the vulnerability in defence which we have tried to remedy and will hopefully be a focus at the trade table this year.

Every team knows how to beat every other team pretty much, and it was to the Tiger's credit that their personnel could execute their plans and play to their strengths at the time (which is the difference between knowing what to do and actually doing it whilst not losing your own brand/ identity in the process). We didn't cope, reverted to panicked kicking and eased up in the midfield at critical times. Not sure how many moves a coach would/ could make in this day and age to fix that and this is the thing with systems based footy.

Bevo himself has said he wants quarters to go for longer because it enables more time to adjust and get changes he has in mind executed on the field. I think the reality is that in-quarter adjustments that make a material difference are much harder to make than they used to be, which is probably why many of us are concerned with our on-field leadership lacking at times.
    Yeah, I’m not knocking Bevo when I say there is a clear blueprint. We may have gotten closer or stayed in the game more if we’d made some changes like Schache on Balta or Zaine on Lynch, but the collective effort across the ground and in particular the mid group was what sunk us. I am concerned that at this point our only plan seems to be dominate the midfield and effectively play keepings off the opposition forward line. Not sure how that stacks up against the good sides and is very dependent on our mids being totally on.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL cut down the time runners are on the field to so if you don't have guidance from senior players it would be hard to stop the train once it gets rolling.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I’m not knocking Bevo when I say there is a clear blueprint. We may have gotten closer or stayed in the game more if we’d made some changes like Schache on Balta or Zaine on Lynch, but the collective effort across the ground and in particular the mid group was what sunk us. I am concerned that at this point our only plan seems to be dominate the midfield and effectively play keepings off the opposition forward line. Not sure how that stacks up against the good sides and is very dependent on our mids being totally on.
    I didn't think you were having a crack at Bevo and I think he can probably be a little bit too faithful to his players and a little bit stubborn at times as well.

Agree with you on the defencive side of things, but as for the offencive side it's probably a balance between playing to our forward structure versus trying to exploit more favourable match ups.

As for the game plan I think what you've identified is our one wood, and it's incredibly frustrating when we double down on it when the game conditions call for a moderation of it which is what we see sometimes. Again I guess that has to come down to on-field leadership but it's something that's concerned me over time and did again on Friday.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.