Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  154
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 8 Vs Carlton 2021

As for the game plan I think what you've identified is our one wood, and it's incredibly frustrating when we double down on it when the game conditions call for a moderation of it
    Perfect scenario for me, and maybe I'm dreaming but when you're copping a hammering like 15-0 inside 50s, a leader, let's say Marcus takes himself into the defence, calls for a pass, takes the mark and gestures for the team to go into a tempo game phase for a period.

It disrupts the opposition and gets the game back into a phase which you control.

I totally get it's not as easy as it sounds but that's the perfect world scenario I'm thinking of.

I've seen it time again with a very good Swans side. The likes of Parker, Kennedy are great at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Perfect scenario for me, and maybe I'm dreaming but when you're copping a hammering like 15-0 inside 50s, a leader, let's say Marcus takes himself into the defence, calls for a pass, takes the mark and gestures for the team to go into a tempo game phase for a period.

It disrupts the opposition and gets the game back into a phase which you control.

I totally get it's not as easy as it sounds but that's the perfect world scenario I'm thinking of.

I've seen it time again with a very good Swans side. The likes of Parker, Kennedy are great at it.
    We can only hope we take a heap out of that loss that holds us in good stead for future games.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It seemed we were stuck in a perpetual loop of kicking the ball to them, being forced deeper and deeper, and finally cracking under pressure.

What you're suggesting makes sense, providing we can get hands on the ball with the odd intercept mark and spread the field by creating a contest and spilling the ball over the line on the outlet kick which in each instance was something we rarely did.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It seemed we were stuck in a perpetual loop of kicking the ball to them, being forced deeper and deeper, and finally cracking under pressure.

What you're suggesting makes sense, providing we can get hands on the ball with the odd intercept mark and spread the field by creating a contest and spilling the ball over the line on the outlet kick which in each instance was something we rarely did.
    Our lack of height in defence was completely exposed in that type of game. Gardiner can’t get back quick enough, and I’m hoping Khamis gets a go very soon.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    There's a couple of ways to look at it, but for our final last year against St.Kilda last year Crozier was playing on a HFF which to me suggests he wasn't seen as being an important member of our defensive structure. With the addition of Dale I think he's slipped back further so was surprised he came straight back in when he was available this year after a lay-off through an important part of the pre-season.

Agree on his kicking.. he's very much a long kick down the line now which doesn't really suit our style of play. He's also having less effect in the air which was a great strength previously.
    Agree with this. I haven't 'seen it' with Crozier for a while.

Williams has been a big out. Start of the year we had Williams/Dale/Caleb as creative ball users coming out of the back half. Gardiner played within his limitations and would typically give the ball up to one of these 3.

The last couple of weeks our movement out of the back half has been slow and predictable, but why? Well Cordy/Keath/Crozier all hold up the ball far too long, retreat and rarely take the risky kick (or when they do, cough it up). Though Caleb and Dale played well v Richmond, too often our poor ball users were the ones trying to get the ball out in the second half.

We really need Williams back (takes space, creates space, takes the dangerous kick and shares this with Dale / Daniel) and Gardiner to a lesser degree (quicker than Crozier and Cordy to release the ball, doesn't do things he shouldn't/can't).
    W00F!

8. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The injury list time-periods look a lot better this week.

Injury list

Tim English (concussion) test
    Laitham Vandermeer (back) test
    Bailey Williams (collarbone) 1 week
    Ryan Gardner (shoulder) 1-2 weeks

Toby McLean (knee) 3-4 weeks
    Ed Richards (ankle) 3-5 weeks
    Lin Jong (hamstring) 10-12 weeks
    Josh Dunkley (shoulder) 12-16 weeks

With both Bailey Williams and Gardner (hopefully) in the mix for the game against Port Adelaide
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy won't get dropped - based on Bevo's presser - and certainly not for Lewis Young.

Outs: Schache, Crozier, Scott, JJ
    Ins: English, Khamis, Vandemeer, McNeil

Willing to give West one more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Cordy won't get dropped - based on Bevo's presser - and certainly not for Lewis Young.
    In Bevo's eyes what do we get from Cordy that we don't get from Young?

Post Thanks / Like

In Bevo's eyes what do we get from Cordy that we don't get from Young?
    Competitiveness.

13. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Competitiveness.
    Cordy doesn't have the tools to compete as he's being asked to... he tries, but he just can't.

And then there's the rest of his game which isn't adequate to play at this level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Our lack of height in defence was completely exposed in that type of game. Gardiner can’t get back quick enough, and I’m hoping Khamis gets a go very soon.
    I don't. From what I have seen of Khamis in the VFL I am concerned at how exposed he will be at AFL level. For all Khamis' athletic ability (and he has a lot), he cannot read the play. Hence he is always starting out of position and relying on his physical abilities to make the contest. That isn't going to work or work as often at AFL level. The other point is that Khamis to me is a tall HBF not a key position back. Lynch would have monstered him on the weekend.

I'm not saying he can't get there, but he is a litle way off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I don't. From what I have seen of Khamis in the VFL I am concerned at how exposed he will be at AFL level. For all Khamis' athletic ability (and he has a lot), he cannot read the play. Hence he is always starting out of position and relying on his physical abilities to make the contest. That isn't going to work or work as often at AFL level. The other point is that Khamis to me is a tall HBF not a key position back. Lynch would have monstered him on the weekend.

I'm not saying he can't get there, but he is a litle way off.
    His reading of the play is fine, hence taking intercept marks for fun. And I don't want him playing key defence, I see him replacing the likes of Crozier or Wood.

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy doesn't have the tools to compete as he's being asked to... he tries, but he just can't.

And then there's the rest of his game which isn't adequate to play at this level.
    He wasn't exactly competitive when Lynch was taking about 5 marks in the first 10 minutes. And that was when the Tigers weren't all over us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    His reading of the play is fine, hence taking intercept marks for fun. And I don't want him playing key defence, I see him replacing the likes of Crozier or Wood.
    Agree. That is his spot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Agree. That is his spot
    He plays taller than those 2 which I feel we need. All the good sides have at least 2-3 guys that can play tall in defence, we had 1 on Friday (2 if you count Cordy, which I don't). Even with Gardner back, I still feel we need an extra marking option. Might be crazy, but I'd even consider Keath, Gardner and Young all playing together if it meant getting more height and intercept marking in the back half. We're just way too short.

20. Likes Mantis liked this post