Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  154
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 8 Vs Carlton 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    As mentioned (and you did too) I have them in different roles. Khamis is coming in for Crozier to assist in defence and to provide a bit more height & athleticism and Butler to come in to play as a wingman in place of Scott or JJ as we aren't getting much from this position at present.
    Could Crozier become the wingman?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    As mentioned (and you did too) I have them in different roles. Khamis is coming in for Crozier to assist in defence and to provide a bit more height & athleticism and Butler to come in to play as a wingman in place of Scott or JJ as we aren't getting much from this position at present.
    Cheers Mantis ... Does Butler have the wheels/stamina to play wing all day?
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Could Crozier become the wingman?
    Let's find out... at VFL level first.

Given the development of Williams, Dale & Daniel we have plenty of depth on the back flanks and the squeeze is on for spots. We can't keep trying to cram them all in and need more balance in the team.

Bevo mentioned the development of Butler on the wing in a recent post match press conference (I think after the GWS game) so his name must be firmly in his mind... time to give him a crack as we aren't using this position well at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Cheers Mantis ... Does Butler have the wheels/stamina to play wing all day?
    Only one way to find out.

I'm not sure he does, but his form is solid and it's a role we're developing him for so lets see how he goes.

4. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What’s the intel on Williams? How far away is he?

I feel like he’s our missing link.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    What’s the intel on Williams? How far away is he?

I feel like he’s our missing link.
    You probably haven't had the opportunity to go back and check, but i posted earlier that he's a probable in for the Port game in Round 9.
    WOOF Member 422

7. Thanks ReLoad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We discussed Cordy prior to last week, there was nothing surprising about the perfromace It is what you would expect from him. I still think we left the leading lanes far too open for Lynch, both Crozier and Duryea didn't help out enough and it's also the downside of having Caleb in an undersized defence.

I just can't see the match committee going back to Young so quickly after dropping him, I think it's Cordy until Gardiner is back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    We discussed Cordy prior to last week, there was nothing surprising about the perfromace It is what you would expect from him. I still think we left the leading lanes far too open for Lynch, both Crozier and Duryea didn't help out enough and it's also the downside of having Caleb in an undersized defence.

I just can't see the match committee going back to Young so quickly after dropping him, I think it's Cordy until Gardiner is back.
    Young will have to perform at VFL level first before getting a game.
    JJ could be in a spot of bother if VDM is available
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Young will have to perform at VFL level first before getting a game.
    JJ could be in a spot of bother if VDM is available
    He didn't inspire against a very poor Bullants side.

I'm not seeing where the love is coming from apart from the fact he's has the measurable physical attributes desirable for a position we are screaming out for.

On the weekend he tried to hit a 30 metre pass and nearly kicked it into Mary St! (to be fair it was windy).

He was ok early in that game in the air, but wasn't setting the world on fire.

Surely. Surely, everyone who has any emotional attachment to the dogs whether it be coaches, staff or supporters want like hell for the guy we recruited to be a full back to realise his potential.
    Must be incredibly frustrating for everyone concerned that so far he hasn't been able to consistently deliver off field, on field and in all phases of the game.

As for consistency and who gets a run of games, it is possible that we as fans don't see the full picture as to what ticks the boxes for the MC.

I really want him to be our guy to take the opposition behemoth but at this point I'd rather drag JT away from Barooga.

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan Gardner sitting back right now, smiling, thinking of all the s*** he copped while we desperately await his return.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Likes Mofra, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Ryan Gardner sitting back right now, smiling, thinking of all the s*** he copped while we desperately await his return.
    It wasn't me !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I don't think I said that we expect Young to do the risky kick. Nor Wood, nor Crozier. But we do expect them to follow certain patterns. Cordy frequently when he gets the ball hits the kick 25m inboard. Gardner similarly often looks to switch the ball quickly. Both are maybe slightly risky kicks at times but are clearly a directive to open up the ground and are both pretty achievable moves. Wood and Crozier similarly are not given the license to create like Daniel, Dale or Williams but i am confident they follow the patterns dictated by the gameplan. Young has at times tended to either hold onto the ball too long and back himself into one of those "retain possession backwards or kick the ball long down the line" corners, or alternatively he almost panic plays on and tends to just pop it long. I suspect he is instructed to look for certain passes from certain spots and he doesn't naturally do them.

Our gameplan is designed to hide the weaknesses of our defenders. We aren't great one on one, especially deep, so we aim to press up and prevent the ball getting in that situation as much as possible. By doing so we concede goals out the back or have our defenders exposed to situations where we are outnumbered or outmatched, but i suspect we think by playing the press we expose them to maybe 10 situations a game where we probably almost definitely concede instead of numerous more where we are slightly better setup defensively but sheer weight of numbers dictates we will concede more.

The biggest issue is that this relies on our midfield limiting supply when we can't set up, especially from centre bounces. Once we are on the back foot and stuck deep in defence thats when we are in trouble.

I don't disagree. I'm not advocating for Cordy over Young. I'm just trying to explain why I think the MC don't like him. They know our defenders are limited, so want to pick one who at least plays the team structures right and follows the gameplan well. I suspect they don't think Young does that very well, which mitigates the advantages his raw talent has over someone like Gardner. He only got two games but maybe in those games he demonstrated that it wasn't a confidence issue, but more an inability to do what is asked of him. I can absolutely see why he would be given nearly no chances if when he does he doesn't do what is asked.
    After the Lions game, Bevo mentioned in his presser that Young had “taken his chance with both hands” or something to that effect. So I doubt he went against instructions that day.

He plays one more match and then is dropped! 0 leeway given to that guy.

He’ll leave at season’s end and we’ll have egg on our face as he becomes a good player elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    In : English, Weightman, McNeil, Khamis
    Out : Schache, Scott (looked sore late), JJ, Cordy

If LVM is OK and passes a test I'd probably have him instead of Weightman. But I've liked Weightman's VFL form. Has a bit of similarity to Jamie Eilliot.
    Wouldn't be upset if Garcia got a crack either but can't see a spot for him.
    I think LVM has not being playing well the last few games. I would prefer Weightman
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    And so he should. The last 5 games last year he finished in the top 3 for club votes and had few goals kicked on him. Same with his 2 games this year. He has excellent closing speed which is what the Match Committee like and a good spoil. People need to remember he has only played 15 games and other parts to his game (skills) will come with time. At the moment we need him to play on the top forward and nullify them. Not get 15 marks. Keath is in the team to do that down back.

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think LVM has not being playing well the last few games. I would prefer Weightman
    I agree with this.

Weightman was very active against the Bullants and I would forgive the goalkicking misses as it seemed very windy.

The only flaw was late in the game when he competed for a mark with JUH, although he was in position first and Jamarra should probably have just protected him.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

21. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    And so he should. The last 5 games last year he finished in the top 3 for club votes and had few goals kicked on him. Same with his 2 games this year. He has excellent closing speed which is what the Match Committee like and a good spoil. People need to remember he has only played 15 games and other parts to his game (skills) will come with time. At the moment we need him to play on the top forward and nullify them. Not get 15 marks. Keath is in the team to do that down back.
    I love Ryan.

Pretty much think Keath should've copped an internal suspension for injuring him.