Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It wasn't me !
    Never doubted him

2. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 8 Vs Carlton 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I agree with this.

Weightman was very active against the Bullants and I would forgive the goalkicking misses as it seemed very windy.

The only flaw was late in the game when he competed for a mark with JUH, although he was in position first and Jamarra should probably have just protected him.
    I was at the game it was a decent northerly. Most of those goals to the Northern (scoreboard) end seemed to need some local knowledge.
    Agree he does fly for every mark!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think it's a crucial week to get our structure in better order and look forward to what our team might look like at the back end of the year.

We have really struggled to find someone to play on the wing given Hunter's shift forward so I'd like to see Butler who is being groomed in that role given the opportunity to develop.

Lots on the bench who deserve one more go, but hard to drop a number of these after just one game against the competition's benchmark team.... as I drop Schache after one game, but realistically he was poor and only filling in for Tim.

In: English, Young, Khamis, Butler, McNeil

Out: Schache, Cordy, Crozier, JJ, Scott

---------------------

B: Wood, Keath, Khamis
    HB: Dale, Young, Daniel
    C: Butler, Macrae, Smith
    HF: Hunter, Naughton, Treloar
    F: English, Bruce, McNeil
    R: Martin, Bontempelli, Liberatore
    Int: Duryea, Lipinski, West, Hannan

Emerg: VDM (Sub), Wallis, Garcia, JUH
    I also like the look of that team Mantis.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with this.

Weightman was very active against the Bullants and I would forgive the goalkicking misses as it seemed very windy.

The only flaw was late in the game when he competed for a mark with JUH, although he was in position first and Jamarra should probably have just protected him.
    That was Marra’s mark. When you’re 5 foot 8, you don’t jump for everything in sight, especially when your gun key forward has the open lane.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    He plays one more match and then is dropped! 0 leeway given to that guy.
    I don't think it's zero leeway.

I DO think it's zero leeway with regards whatever caused him to get dropped last year - people keep telling me it's competitiveness and defensive decision making so let's go with that...

I suspect skill errors etc don't phase the coaches too much but that he's on a short leash with regards 'other stuff'.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't think it's zero leeway.

I DO think it's zero leeway with regards whatever caused him to get dropped last year - people keep telling me it's competitiveness and defensive decision making so let's go with that...

I suspect skill errors etc don't phase the coaches too much but that he's on a short leash with regards 'other stuff'.
    Considering he and Schache have similar temperaments and short leashes it may well be some non-negotiable stuff like competitiveness and not being lazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Considering he and Schache have similar temperaments and short leashes it may well be some non-negotiable stuff like competitiveness and not being lazy.
    I agree, body language tells a lot to me. I don't know about the training stuff and what the coach expects, but when I look at for example, Bruce, he may not have all the skills, but he is always giving more than 100% in effort, and attack on the ball and looks dangerous.

I don't think you can teach this, it is just in your nature.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Mofra, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree, body language tells a lot to me. I don't know about the training stuff and what the coach expects, but when I look at for example, Bruce, he may not have all the skills, but he is always giving more than 100% in effort, and attack on the ball and looks dangerous.

Young's effort to compete seems conditional. And I reckon that's one thing any coach hates...I'd say that could equally be applied to Schache as well, and goes along way probably to explaining why they've increasingly found it hard to get into the main team.

It's one thing to stuff up in execution, but another if you don't bring the required effort and desire to compete.

12. Likes Threedogs, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Young's effort to compete seems conditional. And I reckon that's one thing any coach hates...I'd say that could equally be applied to Schache as well, and goes along way probably to explaining why they've increasingly found it hard to get into the main team.

It's one thing to stuff up in execution, but another if you don't bring the required effort and desire to compete.
    There's nothing that frustrates me more in a football player than one whose efforts are conditional.

Unfortunately you usually can't change this. Although one curious case would be Liam Jones. As a forward for us he would choose when and when not to chase. I don't watch enough Carlton games to know if he still is like this as a defender.

14. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Spot on.
    There are mistakes that fade with time (e.g. Garnder's composure, Smith getting caught with the ball in his first few games) and there are non-negotiables.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

He looked really dangerous running under the balls on Friday night didn't he... almost like he was expecting body contact and was getting out of the way of it.

Bruce had the most suitable match-up of any of our forwards on Friday night and pretty much stunk... as the senior member of our tall forward group he needs to carry the load against the good teams and not just beat up on the shit teams.

Post Thanks / Like

McGovern out
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    McGovern out
    That's a pity.

They may replace him with someone competent.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Did he get stuck in a doorway or something?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

20. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a pity.

They may replace him with someone competent.
    de Koning, who worries me more than McGovern
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers