Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  154
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 8 Vs Carlton 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Ed? He’s a little short right?
    I think defender was a typo. He meant forward. Referring to Naughton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I think defender was a typo. He meant forward. Referring to Naughton.
    I was cheekily disregarding his Naughton to defence mantra

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it's not a blind spot, I think we don't want poor quality or to have to over pay for medium quality.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think it comes down to reach as well, and this is where Wood suffers. He's only 186-187cm, it's just too much to give away against the bigger forwards of today.

With the way umpires pay free kicks to forwards nowadays Wood would be a liability.
    Also he has lost some of his spring since the ankle reconstruction after the GF
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The defence in general isn't sustainable for a flag tilt as it currently stands because it relies so much on ruck/mid dominance - we're dependant on a 34 year in the ruck and our mids haven't proven capable of handling intense pressure from good opposition, will be our achilles heel come finals. We're just not the finished product yet.
    Agree. When the pressure tap is turned on, our mids go missing, hence our defence comes under immense pressure like a dam wall breaking, ready for the flood. Blind Freddy can see it will be a major problem against the really good sides. We can’t rely on our interceptor in Keath to play a lock down FB role. It’s not his thing. I have absolutely no faith in Cordy/Young/Gardner to hold Lynch, Dixon, King, McKay, Hawkins types.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Agree. When the pressure tap is turned on, our mids go missing, hence our defence comes under immense pressure like a dam wall breaking, ready for the flood. Blind Freddy can see it will be a major problem against the really good sides. We can’t rely on our interceptor in Keath to play a lock down FB role. It’s not his thing. I have absolutely no faith in Cordy/Young/Gardner to hold Lynch, Dixon, King, McKay, Hawkins types.
    Until JUH kicks on and Naughton goes back, I don’t think we’re going to win it all.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can only beat what’s in front of you obviously but the two teams I really rate we have played so far, the Eagles and the Tigers it was pretty much a repeat of last year. Lions at Ballarat hard to gauge that game.

Next month will give us a fair indication of where things really sit.

Post Thanks / Like

You can only beat what’s in front of you obviously but the two teams I really rate we have played so far, the Eagles and the Tigers it was pretty much a repeat of last year. Lions at Ballarat hard to gauge that game.

Next month will give us a fair indication of where things really sit.
    Yep the next 4 weeks will be telling. Imagine if we sit 6-5 at the end of it. It's not far fetched considering we struggle against top sides and always have a hard time against Carlton and Saints. I think tomorrow is so important to our season. We really can't be dropping it (same with the saints in 2 weeks).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Until JUH kicks on and Naughton goes back, I don’t think we’re going to win it all.
    I am fully in your corner about Naughton back Comrade.

Post Thanks / Like

I am fully in your corner about Naughton back Comrade.
    Just can't agree with this. Naughton is going to be huge as a FF, combined with JUH in the future we will have a lethal forward line.

There is not much to being a backman - just look at Gardner.

The toughest role for a big man in footy is playing forward, and Naughton is going to be elite, so why would you move him?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure it's fair to say our midfield goes missing against the best teams, more so that they just don't have it all their own way against other good midfields. This places more pressure on our defenders, who then struggle to clear cleanly which then again means our midfield can't be as dominant as they might.

It's a bit of a cycle and shows how the two parts of the ground depend on each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Just can't agree with this. Naughton is going to be huge as a FF, combined with JUH in the future we will have a lethal forward line.

There is not much to being a backman - just look at Gardner.

The toughest role for a big man in footy is playing forward, and Naughton is going to be elite, so why would you move him?
    I’m going to be honest. Naughton’s kicking for goal is very very poor. I wouldn’t put my house on him from 20 directly in front. Yes, he’s shown he can take a contested mark, and is good at ground level, but if he playing as an elite fwd, he needs to be able to kick more than a 50/50 chance. Missing those easy set shots just saps the juice right out of the team.

You might be happy having a Gardner type down back (as I’m sure the big fwds and opposition coaches are as well), but it is a glaring hole, and we are not going to be THE team we want/hope to be, until this hole is filled.

If JUH is going to be as great as they say, then I’d rather have an elite fwd and an elite back in the team, than 2 elite fwds and nothing down back. It’s just my opinion. We need a backman who can take a multiple contested pack marks. We certainly have nothing like that atm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Not sure it's fair to say our midfield goes missing against the best teams, more so that they just don't have it all their own way against other good midfields. This places more pressure on our defenders, who then struggle to clear cleanly which then again means our midfield can't be as dominant as they might.

It's a bit of a cycle and shows how the two parts of the ground depend on each other.
    It's a good question to ask that if we break even in the midfield considering our shaky defence is that a loss?

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to be honest. Naughton’s kicking for goal is very very poor. I wouldn’t put my house on him from 20 directly in front. Yes, he’s shown he can take a contested mark, and is good at ground level, but if he playing as an elite fwd, he needs to be able to kick more than a 50/50 chance. Missing those easy set shots just saps the juice right out of the team.

You might be happy having a Gardner type down back (as I’m sure the big fwds and opposition coaches are as well), but it is a glaring hole, and we are not going to be THE team we want/hope to be, until this hole is filled.

If JUH is going to be as great as they say, then I’d rather have an elite fwd and an elite back in the team, than 2 elite fwds and nothing down back. It’s just my opinion. We need a backman who can take a multiple contested pack marks. We certainly have nothing like that atm.
    I am not saying Gardner is the answer, I am just demonstrating you don't need to be elite to be good down back.

Darcy Moore was moved forward, and it didn't work, because he isn't good enough to be a forward, but he is a good backman, because it is an easier role to play.

Agree we need a tall backman to play the monster forwards, but it is not easy to find anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good question to ask that if we break even in the midfield considering our shaky defence is that a loss?
    Probably from the team's perspective it is, but you're not going to win the midfield battle every week and not every team will expose our defence equally.

I mean I'd have loved Lynch to have been wearing the concrete mittens like he was last night when we played them last week, but he wasn't and we were exposed. Some clubs just won't do that to us though and we'll get away with it.