Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What does the future hold for bulldogs leader?

Geez Lyon and Watson talk some bullshit. I understand that they have a couple of hours or whatever it is (suprisingly I don't listen to them) to fill but they must have to shovel the crap out of the studio when they've finished their shift.

Mitch Wallis would die for the club. He's not going anywhere.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m not so sure. If he played the rest of the season in the VFL, which is a strong possibility I reckon, Im sure he’d listen to offers and I’m sure the club would wish him well.

I rate him, but I can see why he’s being left out also.

4. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Suspect we will face some adversity at some point this year and he’ll find his way back in. The team just shuffled around underneath him and his role became less important, in favour of attributes he doesn’t really offer. Still a valuable member of the squad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Geez Lyon and Watson talk some bullshit. I understand that they have a couple of hours or whatever it is (suprisingly I don't listen to them) to fill but they must have to shovel the crap out of the studio when they've finished their shift.

Mitch Wallis would die for the club. He's not going anywhere.
    Believe he considered an offer to head North a few years ago. If he feels he can work his way back into the side good on him I'd give him every chance to do so, but I also won't begrudge a 28 year old Mitch Wallis who is absolutely good enough to play AFL an opportunity elsewhere. I will not be surprised in the slightest however if Mitch gets another opportunity with us and performs. What's his contract status? Is there a thread for that?

Ultimately though I think Mitch needs to have a think and probably a chat to Bevo. It would very weird for me to see our vice captain shipped off to another club midseason. I can't see it happening until at least the end of the season if at all. I get what Mitch brings but I also think it was a lack of foresight from the club to make Mitch VC. We knew what our forward line set up would look like this year and we knew Mitch would have less opportunity down there.

Having your VC sit out a large chunk of the season when fit and available isn't a great look imo. Maybe we should have given the nod to a definite starter. Mitch has had a history of being 22-25.

FWIW I love Mitch but the club must come first.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

7. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Believe he considered an offer to head North a few years ago.

Ideal for the Suns where he can help mentor some of the young players.

I wouldn't want to lose him at all, and as Twodogs says he will be back, but of course the club comes first.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Believe he considered an offer to head North a few years ago. If he feels he can work his way back into the side good on him I'd give him every chance to do so, but I also won't begrudge a 28 year old Mitch Wallis who is absolutely good enough to play AFL an opportunity elsewhere. I will not be surprised in the slightest however if Mitch gets another opportunity with us and performs. What's his contract status? Is there a thread for that?

Ultimately though I think Mitch needs to have a think and probably a chat to Bevo. It would very weird for me to see our vice captain shipped off to another club midseason. I can't see it happening until at least the end of the season if at all. I get what Mitch brings but I also think it was a lack of foresight from the club to make Mitch VC. We knew what our forward line set up would look like this year and we knew Mitch would have less opportunity down there.

Having your VC sit out a large chunk of the season when fit and available isn't a great look imo. Maybe we should have given the nod to a definite starter. Mitch has had a history of being 22-25.

I thought the players voted him VC and the club endorsed it. Good selection at the time and still could be.

Post Thanks / Like

Given half the list aren't playing each week I actually think there is quite a bit of value in having someone in the leadership group who is part of the 'fringe dwellers'. It might not be a good look in the media but clubs win premierships - not teams. If a player like Wally - fighting hard for his opportunities, training and playing with the right behaviours and developing an on-field bond with the VFL bound players that he can reflect upon with the other leaders...that can only be good for the club.

The good news for everyone not in the ones? This year, there are VFL games. You want an AFL game - bang the door down.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

11. Thanks Raw Toast thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What does a VC honestly do on game day anyway? It’s more about setting standards on and off the track and I can’t imagine a better person to be leading the way at VFL level.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    What does a VC honestly do on game day anyway? It’s more about setting standards on and off the track and I can’t imagine a better person to be leading the way at VFL level.
    Usually plays in the ones?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes bulldogtragic, Happy Days, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    One of my old cricket vice captains used to say that he was responsible for the team's vice!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

One of my old cricket vice captains used to say that he was responsible for the team's vice!
    If you had have said that when I was vice captain I used to say that I was responsible for the team's vice.....you could have told everyone that you were departing and they should try some milk fed cow that had been kept in the dark.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a comment from a number 11 who doesn't bowl i.e. a good clubman who is likely either the Secretary or President but does SFA else. Every club needs one.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    He was never really a great inside mid either was he? Like he can play the role but I don't think he has any real amazing attributes that would set him apart.
    He was surprisingly effective as a run-with player a few years ago.
    Libba and Dunks are well ahead of him and as far as slow players go, Lippi is ahead of him as a mid.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

There is no doubt it was the insertion of Wallis in the mid-field that sparked the third quarter revival against the GWS (VFL) last night. His bigger body and experience was invaluable in and under. However he is behind Bont, Treloar, Dunks, Macrae, Baz and Libba when it comes to that area. We are crying out for an effective small forward, so given he had been largely ineffective in the forward line, I am not sure it did him any personal good.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.