Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  67
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 10 Vs St Kilda 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Jam Donuts View Post
    Praise him for what? He is the weakest link, you cant keep piggybacking off your teammates who are putting in and getting results, and making you look good overall, he has had a good run he just doesn't look like he belongs out there.
    What do you think his role in the team is? He's assessed against his role, not the stats sheet.

Weightman had a wonderful VFL game a week earlier... the stats sheet said 9 disposals.

McNeill sacrifices his entire game to block, harrass, chase, run to block the easy 45 into the corridor (you don't really see it on TV), he's stayign int he team too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    What do you think his role in the team is? He's assessed against his role, not the stats sheet.

Weightman had a wonderful VFL game a week earlier... the stats sheet said 9 disposals.

McNeill sacrifices his entire game to block, harrass, chase, run to block the easy 45 into the corridor (you don't really see it on TV), he's stayign int he team too.
    Wasn't the same logic being applied to Bruce last year? I think sometimes this is an easy excuse for a coach to explain an under-performing player. In this instance if Hannan gets dropped it opens up the Ugle-Hagan debut discussion and I don't think Bevo wants to have that conversation yet.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Wasn't the same logic being applied to Bruce last year? I think sometimes this is an easy excuse for a coach to explain an under-performing player.
    Look it was but that was clearly BS as the big problem for Bruce was that he was dropping everything and not making a contest.

Hannan is playing pretty poorly in my opinion but his pressure stats are good. He is nearly there, had a few opportunities where in the VFL he gets a shot off but in the AFL he gets tackled before the kick. Happy to persist with him for another week or 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't the same logic being applied to Bruce last year? I think sometimes this is an easy excuse for a coach to explain an under-performing player
    Who would you have replaced Bruce with last year? English was playing ruck and Schache was injured.

Post Thanks / Like

Who would you have replaced Bruce with last year? English was playing ruck and Schache was injured.
    I would’ve debuted Sweet at some point
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

The horse has bolted but I've said before it didn't need to be a like for like replacement. Perhaps JT could have been given a chance or anyone who was showing more form than Bruce was. Cordy or Young up forward might have been worth a try.
    I just never think it serves a club to play someone so out of form and I suspect we didn't want to manage the media pressure of dropping a high priced player.

Coaches are constantly defending players and at times the "He's doing what we ask of him" response maybe correct but I doubt that it's always correct. I know Hannan can play but he's looked a step or two off the pace of the game.
    The likes McNeil and Scott might not get a lot of stats but they don't look to be off the pace of the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Coaches are constantly defending players and at times the "He's doing what we ask of him" response maybe correct but I doubt that it's always correct. I know Hannan can play but he's looked a step or two off the pace of the game.
    The likes McNeil and Scott might not get a lot of stats but they don't look to be off the pace of the game.
    IF (and I'm making an assumption) Hannan's role was to be the get out option, apply pressure and ensure our forwards weren't double or triple teamed then he did whats was asked of him. Naughton doesn't kick four goals in a vacuum.

However, if his role is predominantly that third floating tall marking option to split the defenders... English takes his spot regardless of Hannan performance because Chilli is more dangerous in the air and takes the second ruck rotation.

I want to see Sweet and English play together as that is a viable long term partnership for us.

8. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IF (and I'm making an assumption) Hannan's role was to be the get out option, apply pressure and ensure our forwards weren't double or triple teamed then he did whats was asked of him. Naughton doesn't kick four goals in a vacuum.

However, if his role is predominantly that third floating tall marking option to split the defenders... English takes his spot regardless of Hannan performance because Chilli is more dangerous in the air and takes the second ruck rotation.

I want to see Sweet and English play together as that is a viable long term partnership for us.
    Interesting discussion, it's probably one of those scenarios where there is truth to both opinions. Of course the coaches use a different set of metrics to determine a players contribution, but I've got no doubt they'd also want more contribution in other areas.

I'm kind of torn, I definitely want English back in the side but I love the defensive net we can deploy in the forward line with the balance we have with the two talls and McNeil, Scott, Hannan, JJ or whoever is doing those jobs. I thought it was as good as I've seen our forward pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I noticed with Hannan, he was also going up for the pack marks with Bruce and Naughton. I would prfer him to stay down and play a small forward role, even though he is 190cm
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    One thing I noticed with Hannan, he was also going up for the pack marks with Bruce and Naughton. I would prfer him to stay down and play a small forward role, even though he is 190cm
    I think having him and Weightman go up for the marks are what we want them to do (as in Bevo and MC). Weightman seemed to have these instructions when playing for Footscray.

Waiting for the crumb vs stopping opposition from taking intercept marks (which Port are great at).

Post Thanks / Like

Hunter and English expected ins against the Saints.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/616166/b...r-saints-clash

13. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Hunter and English expected ins against the Saints.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/616166/b...r-saints-clash
    Gardner looks a likely Wood replacement too reading that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Potentially 3 ins from a side that won nicely against a good side.
    We can't deny we have depth

16. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    With Marshall out do we need 3 tall defenders? We don't usually like to go with 3 and hard to drop Cordy after his game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    With Marshall out do we need 3 tall defenders? We don't usually like to go with 3 and hard to drop Cordy after his game.
    Bevo has said the same thing about talls of Blues and Port in last two weeks. That said, Wood out makes a difference.

I coming around (-ish) to Gardner but do not think he is at bring straight in level when Keath is going really well, Zaine improving and Young killed it last time in VFL.