Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  67
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 10 Vs St Kilda 2021

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think it's fine for some but others actually want to feel like they know what's going on and it is in some way a bit disrespectful.
    I get where you are coming from but the whole thing is outdated anyway, they really should just be naming a squad of 22 in alphabetical order. None of the 22's are any more accurate than if you got a random fan of that club to arrange the names so that it kind of made sense.

Not to get ahead of myself or anything but imagine if we won the Premiership and all those merch guernseys with the side printed on the back had stuff like Caleb Daniel at CHB and Tom Liberatore at full forward.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Not a big fan of not bringing Young in as relief ruck, really screws our structure when we have to put Bruce in the middle.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

3. Likes Ghost Dog, Dry Rot, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    Why do they treat us with such contempt. You may as well not post the teams if your not serious about we’re they play. As if the other football clubs don’t know we’re players are playing and to the fact the supporters of the club. Really guys come on
    It is contemptuous of supporters, media and the AFL in general. It is smug and makes a mockery of the intention of naming teams. I don't care who is countenancing it they are just being smartarses and dickheads.

Post Thanks / Like

Every man in our forwardline is taller than every man in our backline
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I get where you are coming from but the whole thing is outdated anyway, they really should just be naming a squad of 22 in alphabetical order. None of the 22's are any more accurate than if you got a random fan of that club to arrange the names so that it kind of made sense.

Not to get ahead of myself or anything but imagine if we won the Premiership and all those merch guernseys with the side printed on the back had stuff like Caleb Daniel at CHB and Tom Liberatore at full forward.
    Well that would be completely hilarious to me.

And yes you're right, it's all outdated thus I don't really care. But others do and sometimes the right thing to do means you......so on and so forth.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    It is contemptuous of supporters, media and the AFL in general. It is smug and makes a mockery of the intention of naming teams. I don't care who is countenancing it they are just being smartarses and dickheads.
    I get the anger, sort of, but we'll eventually be asked about it and will have a response for you to accept or otherwise.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely we only need to see the 22 named? Who cares where they are listed? If there was going to be a major positional change on any given week they wouldn’t list it anyway. Absolute non issue, the only point of interest every week is ins/outs.

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly we are all a little older. If you have young kids and want to get them or have them engage in the sport or the brand/club. It doesn’t help. Some may thing it’s cleaver but really it’s just childish. We don’t have may traditions but we all probably use to look forward to seeing the sides named and reading the paper.

I think in. professional and high performance environment this shouldn’t happen. It makes it hard to keep young ones engaged as well.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Naming the team in positions is irrelevant. Teams don’t have forward pockets or even centre half back for that matter, so why name them that way?

If anything, you’d have to name who starts in each goal square, which five are then in each fifty arc, which midfielders start in the square etc. It’s probably just the wings that are still an historic position and probably the ruckman, but after the first bounce there is so much rotation and transition, it makes no difference. Even the player starting goal square at what we used to call full forward changes at most centre bounces.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think it matters. But also don’t see why we’d do it. I mean, we gain nothing by doing it, lose nothing if we name them sensibly...

Unless they get/got sick of Qs about where players were lined up on paper a while back and decided they’d do this to stop any questions?

Seems unnecessary though and seems a bit silly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I don’t think it matters. But also don’t see why we’d do it. I mean, we gain nothing by doing it, lose nothing if we name them sensibly...

Unless they get/got sick of Qs about where players were lined up on paper a while back and decided they’d do this to stop any questions?

Seems unnecessary though and seems a bit silly.
    It's a protest of sorts. For years all clubs have named teams, perhaps not perfectly and no one expects that, but for some reason we have decided to make a mockery of it. Naming teams has traditionally been done to inform and engage the members but we've somehow came to the conclusion informing the fans isn't relevant any more and perhaps because we have 8 wins in 9 games the fans seem to be accepting it.
    I get why some don't care but as you point out there is nothing gained for the club by making a mockery of selections.

If we keep distancing the club and players from the fans then I can see why attendances might start to dwindle.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Likes Grantysghost, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's a protest of sorts.
    I'm hearing the same. The club are protesting about the return to releasing teams on Thursday regardless of game time.

I actually LOVE the move back to Thursday teams. I quit AFL Fantasy this year because the random team releases last year (and proposal to do the same again this year) just made it too hard...of course, real footy is more important than Fantasy footy but without fan engagement, it all slowly dies...

I have heard that Geelong are equally annoyed and had planned to do a similar protest but thought better of it.

Do I care? No. But given the rule is being applied across the board it does feel 'petty'.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm hearing the same. The club are protesting about the return to releasing teams on Thursday regardless of game time.

I actually LOVE the move back to Thursday teams. I quit AFL Fantasy this year because the random team releases last year (and proposal to do the same again this year) just made it too hard...of course, real footy is more important than Fantasy footy but without fan engagement, it all slowly dies...

I have heard that Geelong are equally annoyed and had planned to do a similar protest but thought better of it.

Do I care? No. But given the rule is being applied across the board it does feel 'petty'.
    We've done it for years and because of one Covid-19 season where some latitude was provided to the clubs we now don't want to go back to it and are petulantly decided to make a stand.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It is outdated, however the 666 has at least made it slightly relevant again.

To intentionally make a mockery of it reveals an interesting mindset.

It's really quite callow and unnecessary.

I can't imagine it's worth wasting time on, it sends the opposite message to what they desire (the we don't care, well clearly you do) and leaves me scratching my head as to what triggered it.

I reckon we are better than that and personally I hope we've made our point and can move on.

17. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only ever reliable part of the teams was seeing who made the starting 18 in the Sunday game confirming them as an inclusion. Aside from that I couldn't care less where they're named because it's not binding and was not reliable

19. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post