Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 6, 2021 vs GWS Giants

This is the round 6, 2021 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against GWS is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 6, 2021 vs GWS Giants

B

Jong. Thanks for your service.
    The last quarter. +36 points.
    Treloar. Inside, outside, no matter

6-0
    175.3%

A

Injuries
    Missing easy shots
    GWS as an entity
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

- Naughtons hands in a contest
    - Jack Macrae. Just give him the AA captaincy now. He is a top 5 league player right now
    - Our last quarter

Anchors

- Injuries - poor Jongy. Not sure how well cover English. Dunks a huge out
    - Himmelbergs punchable smug face and little cheap shots
    - our boys covered scratches at the end of the game

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1 - That midfield is very special
    2 - Martin has given us a competitive edge
    3 - I didn't see us getting near 100 points at 3 quarter time. We've got some firepower

Anchors
    1 - Injuries are part of the game but I feel for our guys tonight. Still a crisis creates opportunities
    2 - Goal kicking is still our work in progress
    3 - Shame we didn't get it together a bit earlier and get a 50 point result
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Tom Liberatore, his clearance work is elite.
    Naughton, his aerial work and energy is remarkable for a 21yo.
    Easton Wood for shoving the thugs head into the turf.

Anchors
    Injuries, Dunkley maybe for the season, hope not.
    Vandermeer did 3/5 of 5/8.
    AFL for allowing the orange frauds into the comp in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Bonts goal that set the tome for a nine goal last quarter
    2. The stats showed for 4 quarters we were on top but just couldn't put goals on the board till the last
    Cont Poss plus 44, Clearances, Stoppages, we smashed them
    3. Great Midfield and special mention to Libba - the unglamorous one who had 16 CP, 10 tackles two goals

Anchors

1. Injuries of course
    2. Naughton's goal kicking
    3. Greene trying it on again while Bont on ground
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. Didn't think Macrae could get better; he' finishing his work, he's providing hurt factor with his disposals, and he's still doing what he's always done.
    2. Bailey Dale. another level. Defensive and then late Attacking
    3. Our system. We farted around, for the best of 3 Qtrs, but we prevailed, because all 22 believed and followed the system.

If there was a fourth allowed I'd give it to Cordy. He was awesome

Anchors

1. Lights fuse....about 90% of my WOOF compadres....all game the negativity, the sharpening of the knives for selection, the second guessing of the MC, the drilling for every mistake. I know we were poor finishing tonight, but gees....we're not gonna win by 10 goals every week.

2. Naught's finishing. got to nail the shots. nothing else.. Injury Gods....don't believe in you.. but Dunks and English???.. c'mon universe.. what kind of dice roll are you playing. I wish I was in the multiverse that had us win by 6 goals and had Dunks and English available for Richmond next Friday

8. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B:
    Macrae for keeping on keeping on
    Bont coz he is just so good to watch
    Keath a rock in defence

A:
    Orange plastics dirty tactics yet again
    Naughton’s goal kicking
    Will not go with injuries although it’s a big downer. Might be a bit harsh but I thought we had a few who struggled a bit tonight (JJ, English until last qtr as I recall when he took a few good grabs until he was injured), Cordy, Scott fumbled a few times, McNeill (I know he did a few good things too), Vandermeer and even Daniel who was quiet by his lofty standards. Must lift our game next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    B:
    Macrae for keeping on keeping on
    Bont coz he is just so good to watch
    Keath a rock in defence

A:
    Orange plastics dirty tactics yet again
    Naughton’s goal kicking
    Will not go with injuries although it’s a big downer. Might be a bit harsh but I thought we had a few who struggled a bit tonight (JJ, English until last qtr as I recall when he took a few good grabs until he was injured), Cordy, Scott fumbled a few times, McNeill (I know he did a few good things too), Vandermeer and even Daniel who was quiet by his lofty standards. Must lift our game next week.
    If we keep on as we are, we can probably expect that Keath will only start to get some external love very late in the season. That's okay, if it means he slips under the opposition radar! He's been a rock thus far!

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Macrae - just keeps getting it done. Great player and very underrated;
    Bruce - marked well, kicked well, presented well. Really felt that he was able to give a contest tonight and importantly hold key marks and kick straight
    Wood - Toby may have kicked 4 or 5, but he wasn't influential. Wood deserves credit for that. Loved the way he waded in when Toby tried to rough up the Bont.

Anchors

Naught's kicking - he marked everything; contested well; covered the ground and pressured the opposition.....his set shot kicking for goal though was pretty dire at times. Its the one flaw he has - fix it and he will be Careyeque
    Injuries - Jongy's is a tragedy, but Dunks and English will have a bigger impact on the team going forward. We have midfield depth, but Lippa and Westy are not at Dunk's level - they have an opportunity to step up now. For English its a 2 week holiday. A chance to clear his head and an opportunity for Sweet to continue his development and play a couple of games or for Schache to get an opportunity to share the ruck load and play in the forward line

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. 1% which we do: smothers, taps to the right areas, tackles, and flicks in packs and blocks. Caleb was in the thick of it today, these stats wont count but kept the ball in.
    2. Macrae: seriously is he in for brownlow running this year ? just phenomenal his work rate
    3. Naughton goes hard when he marks, and always seems to be able to grab it at the highest point. He was on a decent oppenent tonight and he just stood heads and shoulders above.
    4. Backline: crozier, wood, Dale, Cordy,Duryea and Keith , took some great marks today. Some crucial marks, and spoils were fantastic. Really stuck it into Greene.
    5. Liberatore: his a machine. Just knows how to extract. Kicked a good running goal.
    6. Our handballing is elite.

Anchors:
    1. Tired bodies: I think some of our players should have had a spell today. Bailey smith and English looked slow today, and they may have been carrying some fatigue.
    2. Having the fumbles early on. We just not clean enough with the ball, just missed marks, really turned ball over too often. Himmelburg never should have been allowed to take that mark.. Eventhough it looked like it crossed the line. Just cannot be switched off.
    3. Injuries, sucks. I really feel for Jong, if its a hammy could be 4 weeks. Hopeful English and Dunks won't be too long off.
    4. Our Goal kicking is terrible. we were 6.11 at one stage, and should have been 3-4 goals up, just missing set shots in front of goal. What are they doing for goal kicking training? Is it under fatigue ?

5. In the back rule for tackling. We were fortunate today it went our way, but I observed umpires left a fair bit to interpretation. The free kick count was at once stage 8-1 in dogs favour.
    Last edited by macca; 24-04-2021 at 03:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1/ Liberatore - his work inside was (is) amazing... finished off with a couple of nice goals too. Seems to be covering the ground extremely well too... long may it continue.

2/ Martin's last qtr - I didn't think he has much influence for the first 3 qtrs, but was very influential in our pile-on in the last.

3/ Naughton's hands - just ridiculous.

Anchors

1/ Too much left to too few - our best 6-8 players carried too much of the load for the first 3 qtrs.

2/ Goal-kicking - we need to nail our chances when opposing teams come to play. Naughts missed a coupe of easy ones which left the Giants in the contest for longer than we would've liked, but we also missed a few snaps by Bruce, Libba & Dunks too which needed to be kicked.

3/ Injuries - They were bound to come, but it was really noticeable the lack of drive we had from defence with Williams missing and losing Dunks for what looks like an extended period is going to be a big loss... horrible for Jongy too who just has never had a run at it.

14. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Banks. 1. Libba 2 Keath 3 Dale

Anks. 1. Goal kicking 2. A couple of players have really dropped away.
    3. Freezing cold weather. Players had to stand around for 8 minutes prior to the game starting - not good.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    3. Freezing cold weather. Players had to stand around for 8 minutes prior to the game starting - not good.
    Yeah, understand the need to acknowledge ANZAC Day but it was so excessively long.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.