Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know why Dunkley returned to the field?

Has anyone received an explanation as to why JD returned to the fray last Friday night?

Clearly a shoulder sublux. Went off. It was back in (by itself or medical intervention, who knows or cares??).

5 goals up with 10 minutes to go.

Returns to the bench and runs back on.

Re-injures shoulder with ANOTHER sublux.

Why did this happen? I kind of get it in a situation where it is a preliminary final with 90 minutes remaining - you may as well give it a go...you're having surgery anyway. But in the final quarter of an 'under control' game in April?

No. I'm not a doctor. But I am 100% in the "I don't get it" camp and it did not look good...and it did not seem to be putting the welfare of the player first. And sometimes players want to go back on when they are injured and they need to be protected from themselves!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone know why Dunkley returned to the field?

Has the ‘Clay Smith’ feel about it. What was rationale with Clay; let’s see if it’s bad and he can’t do anymore damage?

I would love the clubs medical update to explain it. It doesn’t make much sense.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Has the ‘Clay Smith’ feel about it. What was rationale with Clay; let’s see if it’s bad and he can’t do anymore damage?
    Clay chose to go back on as it was already buggered and knowing it might be the last time he played he wanted another run.

Agree on the OP... Surely given it came out relatively easily the first time we would've at least taped it up if we were contemplating sending him back out??

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Because a yelling, adrenaline charged 190cm 92kg competitive beast Dunkley who feels no pain is hard to reason with?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My guess is that the cartilage was already loosened or whatever and the reco was already going to have to happen, so might as well have him play an extra 10 minutes for the last time in 3 months?

Its a bad look either way and surely didn’t help anything.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't agree more, you can see from the images at the time it was a decent dislocation. Beggars belief that you would risk further damage just on an individuals welfare point of view, bugger the team, by bringing him back on.

And if you are, give it some support! I've had better care in the WRFL. At least tape the shoulder.

Post Thanks / Like

I mean it wasn't hard to miss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Couldn't agree more, you can see from the images at the time it was a decent dislocation. Beggars belief that you would risk further damage just on an individuals welfare point of view, bugger the team, by bringing him back on.

And if you are, give it some support! I've had better care in the WRFL. At least tape the shoulder.
    And take your time doing it. It could have taken at least however long was left in the game. "There you go, all taped up Josh, you're ready to go back on. Oh bugger the siren just went."
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

11. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Air Naughton Guest

Lots of players play out the season with a dud shoulder, see Gary Ablett Jr

13. Likes Vred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I asked a physio buddy and he said its a really strange look but the damage was likely done on the first incident.

He did however also say that if we messed this up that the medical staff will never tell anyone about it, and that it was really peculiar to send an injured player who has already stated a desire to leave back out onto the field, which I thought was an excellent point.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

By how easily it seemed to come out the second time I'd doubt the damage wasn't already done.

I guess it's a question of whether it's a bad look for the club/ game and I don't think it's great. Dunkley would have wanted to get back out there once told his shoulder/ immediate season was cooked but there was no need for him to be sent back out.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the same shoulder that was operated on last time?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Is this the same shoulder that was operated on last time?
    Nope. He's had no problems with his reconstructed shoulder though which is a positive
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a physio (although I work with kids, not sports) and I thought that it was very unusual that he went back out.

The fact that the first incident looked fairly painless and was an easy relocation would have told the medical staff that there was significant damage and surgery was going to be likely (especially in context of his history).

The most likely explanation is, as others have said, that the doctors decided he was having the surgery regardless and so he might as well go out for a bit longer - if we were only 2 points up I could understand it a bit more, but given the state of the game it was strange.

Re: taping, there is a lot of questions about the efficacy of it for actually preventing dislocations, especially with long term use (similar to ankle taping - if you tape it every time, your body becomes reliant on it and your natural proprioception decreases). But (again, I don't work in sports) I would imagine in this acute stage it could have provided some helpful support.

Post Thanks / Like

We did the same to Crozier in the pre-season.

A pre-season game.

Thought it mighty odd at the time - was sitting near the bench, you could clearly see the bump in Hayden’s shoulder as he ran off the second time.

Why do it?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs