Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs, Saints, Premiership Clock, Were We Been & Going With Skill & Luck

I stopped reading after you called Patty Vesz a wasted acquisition. With the right support around him he could still make it!

In honesty, look forward to reading this a bit later once/ if I finish work for the evening!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I’m ok with this. We’ve got so much talent to retain.
    Agree 100%. Pick out targets, Crozier, Keith, Duyrea, Martin, Bruce etc.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I stopped reading after you called Patty Vesz a wasted acquisition. With the right support around him he could still make it!
    I'd rather get Suckling back.
    "It's over. It's all over."

5. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What’s amusing about this comparison is that the saints hold their heads high for their victories against us, whilst we aim for bigger things. Remember, they beat us the year we won the flag and Billings is better than Bont because of one game in 2015 where he was unstoppable.

What’s less amusing is that we nevertheless often lose to them and Billings does carve us up. But I’d still rather win premierships so long may we aim far and they aim short.

Post Thanks / Like

Just twisting fate a little, we have acquired because of St Kilda: Bains, Bevo, Bonts, Naughton, Bruce, Lewy Young, Keath & Crozier.

Actually that's twisting the knife a little! Great thread BT.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Funnily enough, that's what we said after 2016.

It appears Bains, Power and co M.O is not to over pay or over contract (length) which makes it tough to attract out and out talent looking to change clubs via trade or free agency.
    It's becoming reasonably clear that being a destination club isn't all it's cracked up to be. We're not doing too badly as a result of not overpaying big name recruits.

As an aside BT has forgotten Dad, who was drafted alongside Dunkley in the early parts of the 2015 draft.........

Post Thanks / Like

It's becoming reasonably clear that being a destination club isn't all it's cracked up to be. We're not doing too badly as a result of not overpaying big name recruits.

As an aside BT has forgotten Dad, who was drafted alongside Dunkley in the early parts of the 2015 draft.........
    And a couple of others. Roberts is named twice in 20111, Hamling was recruited in 2014 not 2012 and we also drafted Hamilton in 2014. ( I only remember because I looked them up yesterday or the day before)

Post Thanks / Like

No Mitch Honeychurch either. And who could forget Fuller!

I'm getting the feeling these dudes were left off for expediency, and not carelessness.

Carry on BT.

Post Thanks / Like

BT did mention 'select draftees'. No one needs reminding that we drafted Collins and Hamilton.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No Mitch Honeychurch either. And who could forget Fuller!
    Fergus Greene in 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    BT did mention 'select draftees'. No one needs reminding that we drafted Collins and Hamilton.
    Fair point. You're certainly right about not needing to be reminded.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes, selected draftees of any note, and not notoriety!

Post Thanks / Like

Just doing my bit to reduce list management PTSD.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Thanks strebla thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Having thought about it some more, how both clubs were in a similar spot a decade ago and where we are, I think it’s like playing Federer or Nadal. Both clubs are the hard working 20’s ranked players playing them in the quarters. Things go bad quickly if you don’t take your chances.

St Kilda look to have missed chances at the draft, trade and with key personnel notably Bevo & Bain’s at a minimum. Then two sets down they’re are trying to hit (trade week) winners non stop which only works for a while. You can’t smash your way out it.

We haven’t been perfect, but we’ve taken our chances brilliantly at the top end of the draft for the most part. Picked the right shots at the right time in trade weeks to strengthen our game, in a deliberate strategic way to beat the competition. Be it Bains, Bevo, Bonts, Naughton, Smith, Bruce, Keath, Treloar etc. . Of course there’s the role of luck, Jamarra for #1 too. We make really smart decisions from top to bottom. I think reflecting on it this arvo, it might be our clubs greatest strength
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Fergus Greene in 2016.
    Fergus was alright. Would have liked to see him get more opportunity.
    "It's over. It's all over."