Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shorter Games

Post Thanks / Like

Shorter Games

Why are quite a few coaches pushing for shorter quarters?

I just watched Chris Fagan on AFL360 complaining about injuries building up because the 'games are too long' and therefore players are more fatigued. He believes the length of games has increased due to 'higher scoring'...when scores have barely gone up compared to 2019.

If injuries are the concern, wouldn't increasing rotations be the lever to pull rather than shortening quarters?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shorter Games

From a viewership I think the games are too long.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Why are quite a few coaches pushing for shorter quarters?

I just watched Chris Fagan on AFL360 complaining about injuries building up because the 'games are too long' and therefore players are more fatigued. He believes the length of games has increased due to 'higher scoring'...when scores have barely gone up compared to 2019.

If injuries are the concern, wouldn't increasing rotations be the lever to pull rather than shortening quarters?
    I hope Fagan is asked that if quarters are reduced by 10-15%, does his wage or player wages get reduced?

Rotations or even interchange sizes seem like the place to start in a discussion about player welfare. Its a fair conversation to have, but let’s start at the start. Or is his call about trying to increase rotations or interchange really?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I hope Fagan is asked that if quarters are reduced by 10-15%, does his wage or player wages get reduced?

Rotations or even interchange sizes seem like the place to start in a discussion about player welfare. Its a fair conversation to have, but let’s start at the start. Or is his call about trying to increase rotations or interchange really?
    More scoring leading to longer games leading to more injuries doesn't make sense anyway. The breaks after scores give players a chance to rest while the TV networks milk every second of advertising they can.

Less rotations is the issue.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

More scoring leading to longer games leading to more injuries doesn't make sense anyway. The breaks after scores give players a chance to rest while the TV networks milk every second of advertising they can.

Less rotations is the issue.
    Rotations is fairer to all clubs. With the depth we currently have I’d take the bench out to 6 and a sub. That does little to North this year, or probably 5 years.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Rotations is fairer to all clubs. With the depth we currently have I’d take the bench out to 6 and a sub. That does little to North this year, or probably 5 years.
    On The Couch is also pushing for it.

Post Thanks / Like

On The Couch is also pushing for it.
    I didn’t see 360 but the Couch gave valid reasons why the game goes too long and what should be changed to reduce game time organically.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what happens when the Dogs are on top of the ladder. The footy shows can’t spend 25 minutes an episode sucking off the Pies/Dons/Blues/Tigers so they have to make stories up to keep their moron fans engaged.

Wasn’t new footy with no moving on the mark and key forwards and blah blah blah the greatest thing of all time two weeks ago?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes SonofScray, soupman, jeemak, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I didn’t see 360 but the Couch gave valid reasons why the game goes too long and what should be changed to reduce game time organically.
    What were the reasons?

I'd be interested in seeing the actual injury data, to see if and what type of injuries have escalated since things reverted back to twenty minutes a quarter.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What were the reasons?

I'd be interested in seeing the actual injury data, to see if and what type of injuries have escalated since things reverted back to twenty minutes a quarter.
    They mentioned score reviews and time after goals being too long. Browny also asked why the clock stops at stoppages.

12. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They mentioned score reviews and time after goals being too long. Browny also asked why the clock stops at stoppages.
    Seriously?

Post Thanks / Like

Delete

Post Thanks / Like

Get rid of:

* score reviews - umpire's call
    * ruck nominations
    * don't stop clock at stoppages
    * Forget 6.6.6 - they allow 30 seconds to get into position plus the umpires are looking around counting and wasting more time
    * Stand on mark - wasting time to get player to stand
    * Boundary throw in, stop waiting for rucks to set up - just throw the bloody thing in.
    * shot at goal - reduce to 20 seconds - stop mucking around.

Easy plenty time saved.

I can't see the need to keep reducing rotations. make it open slather again.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Jesus can they just not?

It's been a pretty entertaining season, and the long quarters are so incredibly better than the short ones last year. They love pulling out this argument, yet literally no one i know who is not in the media has ever raised it.

There are things that take too long, particularly the breaks after goals and score reviews. Shorten them (score reviews should be capped after 20 seconds, if it isn't conclusive after that bad luck), but the overall product is fine.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

17. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So the bits that give the players a rest without having to go to the bench are causing injuries?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.