Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Shorter Games

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    E.J. Whitten Stand
    Posts
    14,460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Shorter Games

    Why are quite a few coaches pushing for shorter quarters?

    I just watched Chris Fagan on AFL360 complaining about injuries building up because the 'games are too long' and therefore players are more fatigued. He believes the length of games has increased due to 'higher scoring'...when scores have barely gone up compared to 2019.

    If injuries are the concern, wouldn't increasing rotations be the lever to pull rather than shortening quarters?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shorter Games

    From a viewership I think the games are too long.
    #BeMoreBulldog

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shorter Games

    Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Why are quite a few coaches pushing for shorter quarters?

    I just watched Chris Fagan on AFL360 complaining about injuries building up because the 'games are too long' and therefore players are more fatigued. He believes the length of games has increased due to 'higher scoring'...when scores have barely gone up compared to 2019.

    If injuries are the concern, wouldn't increasing rotations be the lever to pull rather than shortening quarters?
    I hope Fagan is asked that if quarters are reduced by 10-15%, does his wage or player wages get reduced?

    Rotations or even interchange sizes seem like the place to start in a discussion about player welfare. Its a fair conversation to have, but let’s start at the start. Or is his call about trying to increase rotations or interchange really?
    Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    E.J. Whitten Stand
    Posts
    14,460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shorter Games

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I hope Fagan is asked that if quarters are reduced by 10-15%, does his wage or player wages get reduced?

    Rotations or even interchange sizes seem like the place to start in a discussion about player welfare. Its a fair conversation to have, but let’s start at the start. Or is his call about trying to increase rotations or interchange really?
    More scoring leading to longer games leading to more injuries doesn't make sense anyway. The breaks after scores give players a chance to rest while the TV networks milk every second of advertising they can.

    Less rotations is the issue.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shorter Games

    Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    More scoring leading to longer games leading to more injuries doesn't make sense anyway. The breaks after scores give players a chance to rest while the TV networks milk every second of advertising they can.

    Less rotations is the issue.
    Rotations is fairer to all clubs. With the depth we currently have I’d take the bench out to 6 and a sub. That does little to North this year, or probably 5 years.
    Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    E.J. Whitten Stand
    Posts
    14,460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shorter Games

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Rotations is fairer to all clubs. With the depth we currently have I’d take the bench out to 6 and a sub. That does little to North this year, or probably 5 years.
    On The Couch is also pushing for it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shorter Games

    Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    On The Couch is also pushing for it.
    I didn’t see 360 but the Couch gave valid reasons why the game goes too long and what should be changed to reduce game time organically.
    #BeMoreBulldog

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shorter Games

    This is what happens when the Dogs are on top of the ladder. The footy shows canít spend 25 minutes an episode sucking off the Pies/Dons/Blues/Tigers so they have to make stories up to keep their moron fans engaged.

    Wasnít new footy with no moving on the mark and key forwards and blah blah blah the greatest thing of all time two weeks ago?
    - RIP Goldstein for 2021 First - 2020-2020 -

  9. Likes SonofScray, soupaman, jeemak, 1eyedog liked this post
  10. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    12,418
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shorter Games

    Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I didn’t see 360 but the Couch gave valid reasons why the game goes too long and what should be changed to reduce game time organically.
    What were the reasons?

    I'd be interested in seeing the actual injury data, to see if and what type of injuries have escalated since things reverted back to twenty minutes a quarter.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    E.J. Whitten Stand
    Posts
    14,460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shorter Games

    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What were the reasons?

    I'd be interested in seeing the actual injury data, to see if and what type of injuries have escalated since things reverted back to twenty minutes a quarter.
    They mentioned score reviews and time after goals being too long. Browny also asked why the clock stops at stoppages.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

  12. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shorter Games

    Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    They mentioned score reviews and time after goals being too long. Browny also asked why the clock stops at stoppages.
    Seriously?
    Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shorter Games

    Delete
    #BeMoreBulldog

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    47,410
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shorter Games

    Get rid of:

    * score reviews - umpire's call
    * ruck nominations
    * don't stop clock at stoppages
    * Forget 6.6.6 - they allow 30 seconds to get into position plus the umpires are looking around counting and wasting more time
    * Stand on mark - wasting time to get player to stand
    * Boundary throw in, stop waiting for rucks to set up - just throw the bloody thing in.
    * shot at goal - reduce to 20 seconds - stop mucking around.

    Easy plenty time saved.

    I can't see the need to keep reducing rotations. make it open slather again.
    FFC: Established 1877

    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,904
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shorter Games

    Jesus can they just not?

    It's been a pretty entertaining season, and the long quarters are so incredibly better than the short ones last year. They love pulling out this argument, yet literally no one i know who is not in the media has ever raised it.

    There are things that take too long, particularly the breaks after goals and score reviews. Shorten them (score reviews should be capped after 20 seconds, if it isn't conclusive after that bad luck), but the overall product is fine.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

  17. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
  18. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    12,418
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shorter Games

    Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    They mentioned score reviews and time after goals being too long. Browny also asked why the clock stops at stoppages.
    So the bits that give the players a rest without having to go to the bench are causing injuries?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •