Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shorter Games

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shorter Games

But wasn't the AFL that wants to increase fatigue in players to open up the play to increase the scoring hence why they dropped the rotations.
    If they cut the length of the quarters then the AFL is back where they started and the merry-go round starts again.
    If they just left the game as it was twenty years ago I wonder how it would be now.
    If we go back through our posts hare on WOOF I'm sure one of our learned posters would have mentioned that there could be an increase for soft tissue injury with less rotations and player fatigue.
    When will they ever learn..........NEVER
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    But wasn't the AFL that wants to increase fatigue in players to open up the play to increase the scoring hence why they dropped the rotations.
    If they cut the length of the quarters then the AFL is back where they started and the merry-go round starts again.
    If they just left the game as it was twenty years ago I wonder how it would be now.
    If we go back through our posts hare on WOOF I'm sure one of our learned posters would have mentioned that there could be an increase for soft tissue injury with less rotations and player fatigue.
    When will they ever learn..........NEVER
    Not one change has enhanced our game in the past 20 years
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This just requires some minor tweaks. 34 minute quarters are too long but I given I'm watching more footy now than for 15 years or more so I think many of the games are worth watching.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Given that scoring hasn't actually increased what exactly is causing it?

Qtr 3 in the lions game went for 35 minutes i believe yet only had 8 goals kicked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

Qtr 3 in the lions game went for 35 minutes i believe yet only had 8 goals kicked.
    Yep, this article on AFL website confirms that scoring hasn't really increased at all so Fagan is way off base, suggesting it's the cause of longer games and more injuries.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets start with score reviews and re-bouncing the ball. They may as well throw the ball up given they can't control the bounce and we don't need score reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of limiting how long you have to review the score. After a certain point of time it's obviously inconclusive so just go with umpire's call if it can't clearly be overturned.

AFL won't decrease the time between scores, you need to pump those ads out and have time for a replay and inane commentary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yep, this article on AFL website confirms that scoring hasn't really increased at all so Fagan is way off base, suggesting it's the cause of longer games and more injuries.
    No way!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    No way!
    It’s almost like no matter what footy was served up this year, it was going to look like the greatest thing ever after the 2020 season long death march.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes jeemak, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott joins Fagan. Could it have something to do with Dads Army?

Chris Scott’s plea to AFL after latest Geelong Cats win

Geelong coach Chris Scott has advocated for shorter games, with management of players set to be a continuing trend for the Cats through a busy schedule on the road to the finals.

Geelong will head to Perth for a clash with Fremantle on Thursday night, giving the club a five-day break after its win over Carlton on Saturday evening at the MCG.

“Two years ago, it would’ve been the main story, five-day break and getting on a plane to Perth. What we’ve been through the last 18 months, it’s play on,” Scott said.

Scott flagged the return of Joel Selwood for the game, with the skipper managed on Saturday along with pressure forward Luke Dahlhaus.

“The plan is for them to come back in but as always we’ve got a lot we want to play and only 22 spots, so we need to work through that a little bit. Joel’s not perfect, but we thought the most honest description for him this week was to say he was managed rather than be specific about a few little issues that might keep him out of a game later in the year, we’d prefer to be a bit more proactive,” he said.

Scott praised the AFL for the decision to shorten game times in a compressed 2020, before admitting the management of players will continue as the league tinkers with Thursday and Monday night football.

“As a spectator when I watch footy on Thursday, Friday night, the game’s way too long,” he said.

“I don’t really get a say in that, but the shorter games do allow you to play on shorter breaks. Five-day breaks, with the game time and longer season, at least for us it would be unsustainable to play the same 22 every week.

“If that’s what we have to do then so be it, but I don’t think it’s best for the game. I think you want the best players out there as much as possible. I certainly like it when there is heat on the game rather than being drawn out. There’s nothing the rule makers can do to stop the coaches controlling the tempo of the game, we’ll win that one every time
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Coach of the oldest side in history wants shorter games, stop the press.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes Sedat, bornadog, Bulldog Joe, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On a side note, games only seem too long when the two teams put on a sh*t standard of game. Maybe if Chris Scott wasn't a complete coward and didn't play 2 extra men back in defence at every opportunity, the game would be more exciting and no one would complain about the length.

17. Likes Sedat, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    On a side note, games only seem too long when the two teams put on a sh*t standard of game. Maybe if Chris Scott wasn't a complete coward and didn't play 2 extra men back in defence at every opportunity, the game would be more exciting and no one would complain about the length.
    This x1000. Chris Scott is the modern day Paul Roos with his unwatchable game plan of stilted, slow, uncontested ball movement. And he does this with one of the most experienced and talented squads in the competition.

As a general rule, anything Chris Scott is in favour of is a bad idea designed solely to assist Geelong.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

19. Likes bornadog, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shorter games might have been an OK concept in a condensed season but the standard of footy has been very good this year and there is no reason to shorten the quarters. Captain Mainwairing will need to work how to use some of the players like Constable, Narkle and Clark so they can add some fresher legs to his Dads Army.
    To think his brother is a candidate to replace Steve Hocking is a scary option.

21. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did none of these guys watch the product in 2020? It was HORRIBLE and any efforts to replicate it should be met with deregistration.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

23. Likes EasternWest liked this post