Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  256
Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Port Adelaide R9 2021

I’m also one non believer of Weightman, but as good as he was last night, it’s one game. I’ll see what next week brings before I kneel at the alter and preach to the Weightman Gods.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cody stopped trying to be the NAB Mini Legend version of Aaron Naughton and found the perfect balance between contesting for marks and staying down to crumb and provide pressure.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes mjp, DOG GOD, Jeanette54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Cody stopped trying to be the NAB Mini Legend version of Aaron Naughton and found the perfect balance between contesting for marks and staying down to crumb and provide pressure.
    Yep really pleased with his choosing of when to fly and not last night. Had a great game and a great combination of execution and the ability to make stuff happen. That last goal was sensational and so instinctive.

Very impressed by Keaths job on Dixon. Thats two weeks in a row we have been up against a key forward that should tear us apart and Keath has done a great job. Interestingly they very rarely even kicked it to him so we clearly did a lot of good work up the field and with our setup to ensure that he was very rarely a good option.

JJ can finally walk away from a game happy, his selection the last few weeks has felt more charitable than merit based of late but this week he repaid the faith. Didn't have a lot of it but owned his moments (aside from the one where he just could not slow down or turn).

Bont was immense, so nice to see him nail that set shot too. Bizarrely I found that more impressive than the one where he an through 4 blokes and kicked it from 40.

Libba again incredible. He is such a great hunter of the ball.

Bailey Williams back made a huge difference. You could tell we have learnt from the Richmond game, our ability to stand up to pressure and NEVER panic kick it out of defence was a huge difference to the Tigers loss. The ability of Williams to stay composed and buy time by twisting and turning makes a huge difference, especially on a night where Dale struggled to hit targets. Daniel also was fantastic.

McNeill got involved a lot and even considering some poor inside 50s should be very happy with his game. He is such a clean player and really seems to be growing and taking the next step in this role. Geez he's been spoken about a lot but Rhylee West got a great example of what he needs to offer from all four of Scott, McNeill, Weightman and JJ last night. It's a really smooth attacking quartet that are clean with the footy and find space well while still applying good pressure.

I actually really like Roarke. He plays within his limitations so well that I find it hard to fault him. I'm not sure he holds his spot but having someone who you can call upon and rely on doing their role well is huge.

Cordy had a good game and generally impacted most contests he was in. Pretty pleased there.

Hannan was poor, really struggled to get involved and as others have said kind of remiscient of 2020 Bruce where he was frequently a non factor when he was. I suspect we will continue to persist with him but he is has been our biggest non-contributor in all three of his games thus far and has to come out for English.

Bruce stood up again when it mattered. His ability to turn around his woeful form from last year into being second for the Coleman and kicking important goals has been fantastic.

Naughton continues to be so good. He is such a threat from aerial balls and I love that he is never out of the contest. He showed it last week where he was beaten for much of the game but still manage to have an impact, last night he wasn't anywhere near as well held and managed to be a continual threat. I really rate Ports defence and the role Jonas plays so to have Bruce and Naughton both perform is fantastic, and the fact that this was Aliir's worst game i have seen this year would suggest we worked really hard on making sure our forward entries weren't to his advantage.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

5. Thanks GVGjr, Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, Happy Days, merantau, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also think we learnt from the Blues game. We shut down ports corridor use early last night which was pleasing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah I’ll put my hand up and say I was wrong. Takes a lot of courage HD to admit when you’re wrong so I’m glad you made me do it.
    Not sure you remember him, but there was a very good poster called Sockeye Salmon (nice bloke too), and he had a rule which I believe is true - called the 20 game rule, ie don't write off players till they have played at least 20 games, then you will know if they are any good. I think it works most times. BTW - Gardner says hello
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Cody's going to have some games where he stinks it up, so are Scott and McNeil but they need to be seen in context of them only having played less than ten games each.

What we saw from Cody was outstanding, but there's a long road ahead for him to become an AFL player.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    There was an instance when Caleb executed three feints with the ball in hand in the space of three seconds - next level genius. I have never seen that done before.
    Maybe Doug Hawkins could have done it but it's elite company that Caleb is keeping.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

On reflection, this was a very very good win.

I expected Port's comeback in the second, like against Richmond because there is a fine margin between the top teams. Its unrealistic to expect the best teams will just lie down for 4 quarters. That's not "shitting the bed", as some have called it. Its reality.

But different to the Richmond game when we missed about 8 gettable goals, this time we took most-but still not all- of those gettable chances. Othwerwise it could have been over at quarter time.

OTOH if Naughton shanks one of his set shots ala Richmond and JJ misses his which he's been known to do, and Robbie Grey doesn't miss which he usually doesn't, then its a different outcome. That's how fine the margin is at the highest level.

I expect games against St Kilda ( who have had our measure recently, Melbourne, Geelong and the Swans to be tougher again and I think we'll need to improve again and I think we can. As great as pack marks are, I'd like to see more forward entries hitting a forward on a lead, and I still think we can be more accurate in front of goal and these are both achievable and necessary come finals.

12. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just on Naughton, any risk of concussion rule for the head on the turf? I know he made sure the ump saw it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yeah Cody's going to have some games where he stinks it up, so are Scott and McNeil but they need to be seen in context of them only having played less than ten games each.

What we saw from Cody was outstanding, but there's a long road ahead for him to become an AFL player.
    The thing I love about him, is you can’t teach his innate abilities, you can’t teach someone to take speccy’s like he can, you can’t teach to hit a loose ball at speed and kick goals in one motion, you can’t teach his quick snaps or to kick match winners over their head. You can assist, but you can’t make him as quick as he his (under 2.8 seconds at the combine for 20m) and use that to a high pressure forward.

You can take the time to develop him, teach him leading patterns and systems plus add to his natural forward ability, teach him work rate, teach him the level he needs to achieve in the VFL to get promoted.

Blue collar players are part of the list mix, but give me a kid like Cody everyday of the week. He is already able to inherently special things a lot of our forwards can’t do. Once we add real belief that he belongs at the level, or forwardline (best attack this year) just got even better.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The thing I love about him, is you can’t teach his innate abilities, you can’t teach someone to take speccy’s like he can, you can’t teach to hit a loose ball at speed and kick goals in one motion, you can’t teach his quick snaps or to kick match winners over their head. You can assist, but you can’t make him as quick as he his (under 2.8 seconds at the combine for 20m) and use that to a high pressure forward.

You can take the time to develop him, teach him leading patterns and systems plus add to his natural forward ability, teach him work rate, teach him the level he needs to achieve in the VFL to get promoted.

Blue collar players are part of the list mix, but give me a kid like Cody everyday of the week. He is already able to inherently special things a lot of our forwards can’t do. Once we add real belief that he belongs at the level, or forwardline (best attack this year) just got even better.
    You know what I love about Cody his attitude - "I just love Playing Footy"

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    Just on Naughton, any risk of concussion rule for the head on the turf? I know he made sure the ump saw it.
    Bit of acting there. The doctor and Physio checked him out and I am pretty sure he said he milked the free

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bit of acting there. The doctor and Physio checked him out and I am pretty sure he said he milked the free
    good to hear.....well you know what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not sure you remember him, but there was a very good poster called Sockeye Salmon (nice bloke too), and he had a rule which I believe is true - called the 20 game rule, ie don't write off players till they have played at least 20 games, then you will know if they are any good. I think it works most times. BTW - Gardner says hello
    Didn’t he also say the rule applied the opposite way. Don’t say a player will make it until after 20 games.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Didn’t he also say the rule applied the opposite way. Don’t say a player will make it until after 20 games.
    YES, works both ways