Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  153
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V St. Kilda R10 2021

Really good to win against our bogey teams Carlton and Saints.
    We've got a tough run this next month. We're likely to drop some in the next 5 weeks. Melbourne, Geelong and a couple of trips to Perth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mutz View Post
    Anyone know what the Lewis Young up forward plan is about?
    My guess is to get him to experience to work along hard running leading forwards. It will be a good development game for him with the experience. Young still has a lot to go to get to anywhere Bruce or Naughton level

Post Thanks / Like

Saints have the third worst percentage now.

I don't think we will be playing them in the finals this year.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bailey Dale has gone from fumbling 1-2 a week due to perceived pressure to startling to look for opportunities to step forward and meet an opponent. Even in our poorer games he has been huge, incredible season so far.

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Bailey Dale has gone from fumbling 1-2 a week due to perceived pressure to startling to look for opportunities to step forward and meet an opponent. Even in our poorer games he has been huge, incredible season so far.
    He has surpassed my expectations. We give Bevo a lot of stick for wanting guys to be versatile and play in multiple positions. This is a clear tick in Bevo's favour.

8. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Did I hear correctly? That’s the first time in our history that we have won two games in a season by more than 100 points?
    First live game since pre-COVID, very nervous early but once we got under way it would be a huge understatement to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I believe the last three 100 point wins in the AFL have been by the Doggies.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

10. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Saints were insipid in trying to lock the ball into their forward line and it just kept rebounding back into our forward line.
    I think they've had 3 big losses before the mid way mark of the season and you would have to think there is no coming back from that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The Saints were insipid in trying to lock the ball into their forward line and it just kept rebounding back into our forward line.
    I think they've had 3 big losses before the mid way mark of the season and you would have to think there is no coming back from that.
    Yeah, I reckon that performance is the knockout blow to their season, and places intense pressure not only on some key players, but also on their recruiting strategy.
    They got a bump from their recent recruitment, but it looks to be nothing more than a costly dead cat bounce.

13. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

75 to Bombers, 86 to Tigers, 54 to Port and 111 tonight - not looking good
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    75 to Bombers, 86 to Tigers, 54 to Port and 111 tonight - not looking good
    There you go, 4 significant losses. The season is done for them I suspect.

Post Thanks / Like

How does Hill command 750 to 800K a season? The Saints have too much money invested into players who's best football is a few seasons ago.

Post Thanks / Like

How does Hill command 750 to 800K a season? The Saints have too much money invested into players who's best football is a few seasons ago.
    My best mate is a Saint's nuffy. He agreed that they'd mortgaged long term success, but that it was necessary as they couldn't afford to bottom out and sell a 5 year rebuild.
    I disagreed with him and said that a false dawn of a finals appearance and nought else, would still see them bottom out and would further disenfranchise their fans.
    Better to cop your whack and build from the draft and then fill out the list with moneyball trades like they'd done with Membrey and Steele, than get a feel good sugar hit but ultimately fruitless result from trading hard draft currency for Hannebery and Hill and salary cap gobbling from Crouch.

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In a contending side, as he was at Hawthorn, I can see it. As I can likewise see the same money for Zac Williams. The problem is they are the cream so in average sides they’re of little value which is no good for the player or the clubs. Assessing your list is crucial to succeed these days, Saints, Carlton, Essendon, North & Collingwood have all misjudged their lists and where they are. Luckily with Sam Power we’ve not fallen into the traps others have. Circling back to Hill, Saints are going to have a few headaches about whether they just suck up keeping big dollar players, or trade them out and rebuild properly. I’m not sure they will, whereas a Hawthorn might trade out a Wingard (cream type player). Going to be interesting to see a lot of decisions at years end.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

20. Likes Dry Rot, Insufficient Intent liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    In a contending side, as he was at Hawthorn, I can see it. As I can likewise see the same money for Zac Williams. The problem is they are the cream so in average sides they’re of little value which is no good for the player or the clubs. Assessing your list is crucial to succeed these days, Saints, Carlton, Essendon, North & Collingwood have all misjudged their lists and where they are. Luckily with Sam Power we’ve not fallen into the traps others have. Circling back to Hill, Saints are going to have a few headaches about whether they just suck up keeping big dollar players, or trade them out and rebuild properly. I’m not sure they will, whereas a Hawthorn might trade out a Wingard (cream type player). Going to be interesting to see a lot of decisions at years end.
    I just checked and Hill is signed until the end of 2025. Unless a miracle happens in terms of rediscovering some form and purpose he's only going to become a bigger liability for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That just confirms that the Saint's got it all ass backward. They recruited, not in the aims of a long terms tilt at success, but to stop a slide. The irony is the slide, probably even worse than it naturally would've, is coming hard as a direct result of that approach.