Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where does JJ fit into the 2021 Bulldogs team?

Last Friday vs gws, JJ lost his footing a few times and caused turn over . He was beaten in the air by Hill and then fell over running backwards . It was a terrible look and made him look like a diver. I just hope he does not have a tendency to just go to ground

He also got crunched in a kick in at 50 m arc in gws fwd line and spilled the ball over . It was a poor kick but he had to be a bit better defensively

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's being judged really harshly because he's playing outside of his natural role for the benefit of the team. Same goes with Hunter.

Not saying he's not able to be criticised, but if he's playing forward and contributing like he did last week he's fine. And if we end up someone down in the back half we have a Norm Smith quality player ready to go back and fill the spot.

Our team has changed, we don't need every good player we have to dominate.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Last Friday vs gws, JJ lost his footing a few times and caused turn over . He was beaten in the air by Hill and then fell over running backwards . It was a terrible look and made him look like a diver. I just hope he does not have a tendency to just go to ground

He also got crunched in a kick in at 50 m arc in gws fwd line and spilled the ball over . It was a poor kick but he had to be a bit better defensively
    Three things out of how many he was involved in.....?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He's being judged really harshly because he's playing outside of his natural role for the benefit of the team. Same goes with Hunter.

Not saying he's not able to be criticised, but if he's playing forward and contributing like he did last week he's fine. And if we end up someone down in the back half we have a Norm Smith quality player ready to go back and fill the spot.

Our team has changed, we don't need every good player we have to dominate.
    This.

I've been riding JJ hard since about 2018 but when judging his performance in 2021, we need some context. He isn't playing as that running half back so he isn't going to be running/carrying the ball and taking ground.

I've seen more enthusiasm from JJ to do the team things i.e. running down Charlie Cameron/locking the ball in v Brisbane.

The question I have, is how can we best maximise his ability? Is it as as a newly created HFF who can get up to the wings then use his pace running back to goal? Does he have the forward craft for it? Or do we still see him as a HBF and we're just trying to expand his game at the moment?

If we could get the 2016 JJ back, we'd be more lethal than we are. Whilst he's contributing and doing fine at the moment, he was one of the most destructive players in the comp for a while. How do we get that JJ back?
    W00F!

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    This.

I've been riding JJ hard since about 2018 but when judging his performance in 2021, we need some context. He isn't playing as that running half back so he isn't going to be running/carrying the ball and taking ground.

I've seen more enthusiasm from JJ to do the team things i.e. running down Charlie Cameron/locking the ball in v Brisbane.

The question I have, is how can we best maximise his ability? Is it as as a newly created HFF who can get up to the wings then use his pace running back to goal? Does he have the forward craft for it? Or do we still see him as a HBF and we're just trying to expand his game at the moment?

If we could get the 2016 JJ back, we'd be more lethal than we are. Whilst he's contributing and doing fine at the moment, he was one of the most destructive players in the comp for a while. How do we get that JJ back?
    JJ other than playing at half back has struggled to adjust further afield. He has effectively lost his defence role because of the good form of Bailey Dale, Duryea and Daniel. Is now finding it difficult to be in our best 22

Post Thanks / Like

Dale has pretty much taken his running role. He HAS to reinvent or find himself playing VFL. Only way he’s getting back to the backline is if there’s injuries.

I’m still hopeful he can be a lethal wing/hhf. I like him running towards goal, breaking thru the 50 barrier, and kicking running goals, much like Treloar has brought to the club.

At the moment JJ is hanging by a thread, but surely he is more dangerous/valuable to the team than Scott/McNeil.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

$600,000 a year.

2 kicks tonight. No marks.
    6 kicks last week. 4 marks.
    6 kicks the week before. 1 Mark.
    5 kicks the week before that. No marks.

1.1 in four weeks forward.

I get sacrificing himself for the team. But can’t Roark or Hayes do similar?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where does JJ fit in the team? I don’t think he fits into the team. Not sure what role he plays.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    $600,000 a year.

2 kicks tonight. No marks.
    6 kicks last week. 4 marks.
    6 kicks the week before. 1 Mark.
    5 kicks the week before that. No marks.

1.1 in four weeks forward.

I get sacrificing himself for the team. But can’t Roark or Hayes do similar?
    Either would provide more. He played one ok game 4 weeks ago (maybe his comeback game), and was harping on in an article about how much he'd learnt being left out of the team and about how he'd found his mojo. And then the next four weeks happened.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

13. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Where does JJ fit in the team? I don’t think he fits into the team. Not sure what role he plays.
    Finished.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Finished.
    Sadly I think you are right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Finished.
    Got another $600,000 next year here.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think the MC live in hope his glory days can come back, but sadly he’s a shadow of the player from 2016.
    The only games he should play going forward are if Dale is injured.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Fits in at Footscray
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

He cannot play any other role than half back
    He is a terrible mark
    Does not hold his feet enough
    And his reading of the play as a fwd is ordinary
    Maybe on the wing ? But his tackling is probably not high enough intensity