Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  30
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where does JJ fit into the 2021 Bulldogs team?

Being played out of position
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps Dodo might spy a cheap Saad replacement likely to create splashy headlines provided we foot 50%.

What a dismal fall from grace.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    100% agree he should be running it out from the backline. But (and this hurts to say coz I’m a big JJ fan) does he have a place in the half-backline with the likes of Crozier, Dale and Daniel. Can JJ play as a high backpocket??
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    100% agree he should be running it out from the backline. But (and this hurts to say coz I’m a big JJ fan) does he have a place in the half-backline with the likes of Crozier, Dale and Daniel. Can JJ play as a high backpocket??
    He should at least be on the wing
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    No he does not.

He is really competing with Dale and Daniel as our main ball movers. Duryea, Wood and Crozier are more the general defender type and not sure JJ is good enough defensively to be in that group, but i guess you could make it work.

He needs to be behind the ball so he can use his run o create space for himself. I'd be putting him back at Footscry and give him 3 weeks to run himself into form off halfback. He then needs to take his chance when one of those other guys misses a game, and hope Richards doesn't surpass him when he tries to do the same thing.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

He’s finished. The dribblekick tonight was from a guy who doesn’t have anything left in his bag of tricks.

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've defended him earlier but tonight was bad. 5 possessions is a pitiful night.

It's a really significant fall from grace for a Norm Smith Medallist.

Not too sure where to from here.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I've defended him earlier but tonight was bad. 5 possessions is a pitiful night.

It's a really significant fall from grace for a Norm Smith Medallist.

Not too sure where to from here.
    5 possessions: 2 kicks, 3 handballs
    zero marks
    zero tackles

cmon JJ lift!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sure, but the backline has gone past him.

I know you can't do anything but defend Bulldogs players, and your loyalty is as always admirable, but it's past time that Johannisen was held to account.

If he can't play anywhere but the backline, and there's no spot for him there, then he can't play.
    "It's over. It's all over."

11. Likes DOG GOD, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Worrying about JJ’s performance last night is like worrying about a door knob on the Titanic as it was going down.

The iceberg (our midfields soft underbelly) is what worries me.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Worrying about JJ’s performance last night is like worrying about a door knob on the Titanic as it was going down.

It would be nice to lock down the forward line and pressure teams into repeat entries to our forwards. JJ has had 6 tackles in a month. If he can’t use his speed and experience to lay more than 1.5 tackles a game then the ball can come out quicker and place more pressure on our mids. He’s not get anything like passable touches, marks, tackles or goals - as our small pressure forward type. Everyone of the 22 needs to perform for us to beat good sides. A $600,000 senior player should be much better than this, he should drive standards of performance. We can’t carry him any more. We need someone with speed willing to tackle, marks and kicks goals. That Jamarra at this stage. If JJ is the benchmark, Jamarra has him covered.

2020 JJ Averages:

Kicks - 7.0
    Marks - 2.0
    Goals - 0.2
    Behinds - 0.2
    Tackles - 1.5
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, our mids got badly beaten in the 3rd qtr, but we probably had 8-10 players who didn’t really contribute at all of which JJ was one. A player of his standing in terms of experience and how he is compensated needs to do much more than what he’s showing and as such it’s time to try someone else.

Post Thanks / Like

I get what you’re saying but it IS the thread to discuss JJ’s place in the team.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The kindest way of putting it is that he doesn't; Dale & Daniel have him covered as a distributer out of defence and for defensive efforts so he's not pushing either of them out, let alone with Williams due back after the bye. You'd think that a wing or as a high half forward would work for him but he's not willing to run hard enough or work hard enough to apply pressure.

We'd probably be better off playing Roarke Smith in his role, that's how bad JJ has been. We'd at least get some energy out there

Post Thanks / Like

So disappointed in JJ last night. Went missing. Shirked contests. Panicked with the ball in hand (the rare times he had it). He looks shot.

19. Likes Testekill liked this post