Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Can our home and away record attendance be broken this Friday night?

The Bulldogs all time home and away attendance record stands at 68,447. It occurred against Richmond in round 11, 1974(Monday) at the MCG.

Coming into the game Footscray were sitting second on the ladder with seven and a half wins. The tigers, the reigning premiers, were fourth half a game behind. The game was tight all day with the dogs 1 point up at three quarter time.

Unfortunately the tigers blew us away in the last quarter kicking 9.6 to 4.3 to win by 32 points; 19.19.133 to 15.11.101.
    For Richmond big Neil Balme kicked 5 and Paul Sproule 4 while for Footscray tough captain Laurie Sandilands kicked 5 (he kicked 50 for the season) and Greg Parke kicked 5.

Was anyone here at the match?

Almost 50 years later It's time to break that record and reverse the result.

Go 'Scray.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1974-RICHMOND-V-FOOTSCRAY-JUNE-17-ROUND-11-VFL-RECORD-TIGERS-V-BULLDOGS-/283843925088

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can our home and away record attendance be broken this Friday night?

Be nice but unfortunately from what we've seen in attendances this season that record will be safe for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Be nice but unfortunately from what we've seen in attendances this season that record will be safe for a while.
    Yeah spot on unfortunately.

Dees v Tigers on Saturday night was 56K, so I wouldn't expect more than that. My dees supporting mates swore it was 80% dees on the night.

Post Thanks / Like

No dusty no crowds. The record is safe.

What we need is a media frenzied. Something like a Buddy Franklin getting his first game. Any ideas who that could be ��
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Was anyone here at the match?
    Yes, I was there. The roar of the crowd when the dogs came out was huge. I remember the players were shocked (reported in Papers) as those days we rarely played in front of more than 20,000, with all the small grounds.

I hope the record could be broken, but at a Guess there will be around 50,000
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there also in 1974 and I remember being so proud that my football team was finally playing before a big crowd...
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

9. Likes bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post