Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned. Round seven 2021 v Richmond

1 - 6 straight wins and a very healthy percentage paper over some of the cracks
    2 - English is more important to our new team balance than I've given him credit for
    3 - Bevo has plenty of work to do
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

1. We're a good side but not a top side. Key defenders are our biggest issue now.

2. We've lost our massive advantage over sides with Dunkley on the LTIL. Replacing him isn't possible, no matter how it's spun.

3. We should make a call on a few types ie Cordy and Schache. I'm not convinced on Young but when he's on he at least gives us aerial presence and an ability to win the ball back. Cordy is poor 1-v-1, undersized, poorly skilled and slow - it's a waste of a position. Schache... Bye.
    W00F!

3. Likes westbulldog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Schache getting the 3rd best defender doesn't help him

2. Cordy is a shadow of his former self

3. AFL is a big step up from VFL
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

1 JJ is finished at AFL level with us, can’t trust him anymore. Not enough tools left in the bag.
    2 We struggle to win the ball back if the opposition don’t rush.
    3 West generates good opportunities inside 50

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. this was good finals type pressure football, which we had brain farts when clearing out of defense. Our system was in disarray when the tigers got the lead and heaped on the pressure.

Against a quality team we have no quiet time and the lapse or ordinary efforts will resonate in pain on the score board. Our defense was ok tonight against the pressure as the last half of the second quarter they pretty much owned the ball in their forward half, but I think our disposal in the middle really let us down.

2. Nankervis showed Martin his age today, and I think we need to start the transition with Sweet sooner than later.
    3. there is still a Gap in our players in best and ordinary footy. Consistency in all aspects of the game needs to be obtained. I know its easy to say typing this on the keyboard, but thats what gets you to Grannies ... oh and a bit of luck.
    4. I like wood's intensity. Its kinda a new look about him, almost mongrel mad dog like.

8. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Unpopular opinion coming up...on the MCG if we constantly seek to play through Caleb Daniel, we will struggle. His kicks as we all know are concise and creative. But they can also slow the game down, especially if we go backwards, sideways to him, allowing a side like Richmond to set up well, and meaning it was more kicks under immense pressure to clear their 50m zone let alone make dangerous forward entries.

2. I have no answer to what to do about Point One.

3. Losing sucks. The way the doubts creep in. Having to pretend to be gracious to Richmond-supporting friends and colleagues. The way their success reminds me of how they kept their hunger, how many of their more average players improved while some of ours have not. Yep. Losing sucks.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

1/ We miss Bailey Williams.. his ability to find space is so important in a territory contest.

2/ When all else is failing you simply need to halve contests against your opponent and we couldn’t do that.

3/ There’s a big gap between playing against GWS reserves in front of 3 people & a dog compared to the best team of the last 5 years in front of 50K.

Post Thanks / Like

Williams or Dale should be doing kick out. Not Daniel.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

12. Likes kruder, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Our depth is not as deep as I thought it was.
    2. I like Schache, but he's gone. JJ is past it.
    3. Losing is not fun. Didn't take me long to get used to the winning feeling, did not enjoy it not happening.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Richmond's system is incredible. Their commitment to pressuring the ball carrier is really admirable and something that I wish we could do with the same intensity.

2. JJ is a broken player at the moment. There's no flow to his game and he looks terrified when he gets the ball. I hope the electric player from what feels like a lifetime ago is still in there.

3. Schache will never make it. I was willing to tolerate him having a bad game, but that was the exact sort of bad game, riddled with half efforts and deer-in-the-headlights moments with the ball, that he couldn't have. Lay a tackle, crash a pack, do literally anything to show you actually care about playing footy.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Likes josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

3. Schache will never make it. I was willing to tolerate him having a bad game, but that was the exact sort of bad game, riddled with half efforts and deer-in-the-headlights moments with the ball, that he couldn't have. Lay a tackle, crash a pack, do literally anything to show you actually care about playing footy.
    The repeat contested marks to Balta were bad but I still rationalised them as the kicks not being advantageous. Then he did that 5m kick directly to the Richmond player and I was like, nah I'm out. You can't carry this type of player into a final (and we had a few of his ilk last night).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

There’s only so many chances a player can get. Schache has been given opportunities, and rarely takes them. He might play the odd good game, but there’s no consistency from one game to another. He’s just not a player with intensity, and I was in the group of hoping he could make it. He can’t. He’s gone.

JJ to me just seems like a mentally weak player. When the chips are down, he goes missing on far too many occasions. He has all the attributes to get things rolling, but has completely gone into his shell since he was tagged into extinction. He’s Gone.

And Westy. I had high hopes for, but the more I see of him, the more I’m thinking he will be nothing more than a fringe/depth player. Last night I was wishing we had played McNeil, and that’s saying something.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

We got spooked by the occasion at the MCG.
    Started like we owned the place then seemed in awe of what we may do.
    Naughton and Bont can freak out with a set shot 10m out.
    Last edited by BornInDroopSt'54; 01-05-2021 at 02:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

1. In the last quarter, right in front of me. JJ needed to put a lot pressure on player about to kick it long into their goal square (they got a goal from it). I watched him closely. He took short steps and didn't put in the necessary effort and desperation to tackle or pressure him. If it was the other way around ... JJ would not have got an effective kick away. Toughness has never been his greatest strength. However, when he is at his best he isn't shirking contests. JJ back to the VFL.

2. Josh Schache. I have defended you. I have supported you. You had a massive chance. I was wrong. It is clear you just don't have the toughness or intensity to meet the ball hard when it is required at the AFL level. Pushed aside to easily, didn't attack the ball in the air, didn't even square a contest. Sorry. Line drawn through you. Your AFL career is over.

3. Bailey Dale. Stood up under the intense heat last night. Was one of our best. Has come a long way. Has cemented his spot.

Must add one more. Apologies to the board.

4. Tiger fans. What a pack of whingers. In the first half when they were actually winning the free kick count they were bronx cheering the umps every time they got a free kick. Whinged every time we got a clear free and were basically detached from the reality of the rules. They have had it too good for too long and are now in fairy land. They were terrible supporters when they were rubbish, they have exponentially got worse now that they are one of the best teams ever. Learn some respect and humility.

20. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Richmond remain great, despite some results pointing to the contrary.

2. I'm not too dissatisfied with last night - there were definitely worrying areas and some unacceptable stuff, but we were always going to lose eventually. Best to be shown how to win by the best team from he last five years.

3. Low key Easton Wood has been pretty bloody good this year.
    "It's over. It's all over."