Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  42
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned. Round seven 2021 v Richmond

I just thought of a fourth one - our full ground defensive style, as flagged by me after I stole it from that ABC article, is not suited to the MCG. We need to play in a manner that gives more support to our key defenders in actual defensive contests as opposed to supporting them by trying to stop the ball making it to them.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I just thought of a fourth one - our full ground defensive style, as flagged by me after I stole it from that ABC article, is not suited to the MCG. We need to play in a manner that gives more support to our key defenders in actual defensive contests as opposed to supporting them by trying to stop the ball making it to them.
    Richmond played that well all night. Pushed their press up really high.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Richmond played that well all night. Pushed their press up really high.
    Yep they did, and the risk of sounding like a broken record I'd love to see some more tempo footy when this happens
    The Swans sliced their way through with patience and precision.
    We are 4 goals up and continue to HPH (hot potato handball I'm making it my thing) even when everyone can see the tide is turning.

I wanted to see a leader call a play that calms things down.

We move it around we hold it for a while until we can get a mark inside 50.

Easier said than done against the Tigers but it's something I wish to see more of at times.

4. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, it almost seems we have a kamikaze style or nothing.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    1 JJ is finished at AFL level with us, can’t trust him anymore. Not enough tools left in the bag.
    2 We struggle to win the ball back if the opposition don’t rush.
    3 West generates good opportunities inside 50
    He did in the first quarter but unfortunately he feels he has to have a ping at the goals each time. His brain doesn't say look for a better option.

Post Thanks / Like

1. The VFL is miles behind the AFL.
    2. Thank God for Naughty.
    3. A fit Dunks is so important to our team.

8. Likes DOG GOD, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    1. The VFL is miles behind the AFL.
    2. Thank God for Naughty.
    3. A fit Dunks is so important to our team.
    You have to wonder why teams were so keen on getting their own state league sides?
    Last year things were blamed on not having a VFL side
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

COVID cancellation affected VFL and all comp's standards. No games if not in the firsts.
    Mainly why Jamarra is in the VFL.

Post Thanks / Like

We desperately need more height, marking power and athleticism in our backline.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    We desperately need more height, marking power and athleticism in our backline.
    We have spoken about Schache, but what about Bruce? He has played the roll before? I don't want Naughton there as he is a weapon up forward.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We have spoken about Schache, but what about Bruce? He has played the roll before? I don't want Naughton there as he is a weapon up forward.
    The Naughton, Bruce, English fwd line was working really well before Timmy got injured. I wanna see how it goes further into the season.

Schache will be lucky to play again (unless Bruce and Naughton were both injured).
    I’m still an advocate for Naughton back, but we just need him fwd both in marking capacity, but also ground level prowess.

At the end of the day, we have Keath, and then we have Gardner, Cordy and Young who are all capable in parts (against the lesser teams), but liabilities against the top teams, and more VFL than AFL.

Our defence has looked thin since the departure of Hamling. The defence will continue to be our Achilles heel, and the top sides know it.

Post Thanks / Like

1. We were still in the game (just) with five minutes to go
    2. Richmond's 2nd half intensity was extreme and we did not cope.
    3. Our outs really hurt us.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    2. Josh Schache. I have defended you. I have supported you. You had a massive chance. I was wrong. It is clear you just don't have the toughness or intensity to meet the ball hard when it is required at the AFL level. Pushed aside to easily, didn't attack the ball in the air, didn't even square a contest. Sorry. Line drawn through you. Your AFL career is over.
    I can handle him being out marked by Balta. I can handle him readjusting to the pace of AFL games and being out of position whilst he dusts off the cobwebs. I can handle skill errors early in his return to AFL.

What I can’t handle is a player deep in the forward line look at a contest and decide not to go in when the game is still there to be won in the last qtr.

18. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Schache has been given opportunities
    I completely get the frustration with Schache but he hadn't played since R#6 last year. Having spent time with him (albeit an eternity ago) he has always lacked intensity at the contest...but every player has weaknesses.

On Friday night, why was it (seemingly) always Schache in position for the exit kick vs Balta. Surely that should have been our BEST forwards role (Naughton) or even the role of Bont or even someone like Crozier who is adept at halving one of those 50-50 balls. It's not Josh's go...it never has been and it never will be. If that means he can't play, well, I get that. But he just seemed to be set up for failure to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post

And Westy. I had high hopes for, but the more I see of him, the more I’m thinking he will be nothing more than a fringe/depth player.
    Harsh.

He needs a genuine block of games to find his place. I'm talking 'Listen Westy - that wasn't your best effort but we believe in you. Whether you are best or worst afield, the next 6 weeks you will play...just relax and play footy. Don't worry about making mistakes or getting dropped...'

Has this kid ever had that?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

20. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I completely get the frustration with Schache but he hadn't played since R#6 last year. Having spent time with him (albeit an eternity ago) he has always lacked intensity at the contest...but every player has weaknesses.

On Friday night, why was it (seemingly) always Schache in position for the exit kick vs Balta. Surely that should have been our BEST forwards role (Naughton) or even the role of Bont or even someone like Crozier who is adept at halving one of those 50-50 balls. It's not Josh's go...it never has been and it never will be. If that means he can't play, well, I get that. But he just seemed to be set up for failure to me.

Harsh.

He needs a genuine block of games to find his place. I'm talking 'Listen Westy - that wasn't your best effort but we believe in you. Whether you are best or worst afield, the next 6 weeks you will play...just relax and play footy. Don't worry about making mistakes or getting dropped...'

Has this kid ever had that?
    Maybe a bit harsh MJP, but from what I can see (and you’d know more than me), every time West plays, he doesn’t really have a role, and he doesn’t really have a position. He’s a bitsy mid, with a hit of fwd. I understand he hasn’t really been given a go, but if the club was going to turn around and say “you’ve got 6 weeks to just get out there and play”, I just don’t see how he fits in..where he fits in.

I liked Schache when he first arrived. He moves well, marks well, is a great kick, but he just doesn’t have what Bevo and the match committee want. He lacks confidence (in and out of the team), and I have no doubt that the MC doesn’t have confidence in him either.