Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  9
    Post Thanks / Like

Replacing Dunks - Short term view vs Long term view

Apologies in advance - unjustified opinions follow!

Dunks is out - and to me we have two (2) choices).

1. Insert a 'placeholder' mid and 'hold the fort' with what could potentially be a rolling cast of characters over the next few months until he returns.

2. Treat the situation as if he is 'OUT' for the season and restructure.

I think if we take the first route then the suggestions to play West, Lipinski etc etc as an inside mid come forward are good ideas. This would leave Bailey Smith, Hunter, Treloar and JJ as the outside mid/half forwards...

If we take the longer term view, I think there is only ONE option - move Bailey Smith back inside and replace him in the wing rotation. This (to me) would leave JJ, Treloar, Hunter and 'the player to be named later' in the outside mid/half forward rotation (I suspect it will be Roarke Smith).

Personally, I am hoping to see Bailey Smith back in the centre square tomorrow night playing the role I think suits him best. What we lose with Dunks out of there I think we will gain by adding Smith's leg-speed to the mix...in some ways I think this makes us even BETTER but to be fair the finished product has been pretty impressive to this point of the season.

I just have a feeling this is a big challenge for the coaching staff/mc - whichever lever they pull we are undoubtedly going to be a best 22 (best 10?) player down for the foreseeable future and covering that gap with a less experienced mid without the same ball winning capacity? Well, that's going to be interesting.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks GVGjr, Bulldog Revolution, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replacing Dunks - Short term view vs Long term view

Can Hannan play the the role you’ve earmarked Roarke Smith as an option because I don’t like Roarke Smith as an option.

I really like the option of Baz Smith playing inside and think we’ll see him and Lipinski swapping out tomorrow night.

I think our best team post Dunkley (by round 10) looks something like this:

Daniel Keath Duryea
    Williams Gardner Dale
    Hunter Macrae JJ
    Hannan Naughton Treloar
    English Bruce Vandermeer
    Martin Libba Bont
    Smith Wood Crozier Lipinski

Wood, Lipinski and JJ are the most vulnerable to having their spot taken in that line up.
    Last edited by comrade; 29-04-2021 at 02:50 PM.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Can Hannan play the the role you’ve earmarked Roarke Smith as an option because I don’t like Roarke Smith as an option.
    Yes i would agree, however all the fun aside...I would love to see Smith move in the guts, West get a run in the F50/Wing or even Daniel up on the wing. JJ has to stay in the back 50 or nothing for mine.

Don't know enough about Hannan but i think he and West fight it out
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all in on moving Smith into the middle as its the best outcome for the club.
    Quite concerned that Roarke may be the replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

Smith back to the middle for me and someone like JJ can go to the wing
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes DOG GOD, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

I really like the option of Baz Smith playing inside and think we’ll see him and Lipinski swapping out tomorrow night.

I think our best team post Dunkley (by round 10) looks something like this:

Daniel Keath Duryea
    Williams Gardner Dale
    Hunter Macrae JJ
    Hannan Naughton Treloar
    English Bruce Vandermeer
    Martin Libba Bont
    Smith Wood Crozier Lipinski

Wood, Lipinski and JJ are the most vulnerable to having their spot taken in that line up.
    I think Wood is playing well - he was shaky last year, but I think his form has been ok this season
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

10. Likes Bulldog Revolution, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I think Wood is playing well - he was shaky last year, but I think his form has been ok this season
    I agree, not sure why no love for Woody.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Agree he is playing well, just don’t think we need 8 defenders and he’s ranked 8th imo.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we treat is as Dunkley out for the year. We have to, it's too long a break. So saying that completely agree with your Smith sentiment. He has looked lost at times out on the wing, and we can get some incredible development into a guy that's going to be playing that natural inside burst role for the next ten years.

Who takes the wing? I'd be ok with it being a wing / forward role on both sides. Hannan/Hunter/JJ/Vanders?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Smith back to the middle for me and someone like JJ can go to the wing
    Same here. Smith HAS to go back to the middle. He seems to be playing “lost” at the moment. Nothing against Roarke, but I do not want to see him play this year, especially if we have McNeil and Scott playing in the same team. We don’t want anymore passengers.

JJ could be a weapon on the wing, as he is one of few who can penetrate the fwd 50 and shoot for goal.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smith into the guts....what about Butler as another option for the wing position....would be before Smith in the queue I would think given his VFL form this year which includes him being a goal kicker.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

16. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah agree with everyone else Smith to the middle. He played so well there last year and seems to be treading water on a wing atm.

JJ can play wing and who knows what JJs been doing this past month but given we have a versatile list we should be able to cover him. He's been forward alot so I guess Hannan and perhaps Westy can cover him.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Smith is a lock to return to the middle. As referenced in a great article shared in the GWS gameday thread, we have effectively had just 7 - Martin, English, Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunkley, Treloar - players rotating through our centre bounces and they are the only players on our list to record a centre clearance to date. When Dunkley went off, Smith replaced him and became the 7th part of that rotation.

I think Baz moves inside, and Lipinski replaces him on the wing/HF.

Post Thanks / Like

Option 2 - just adjust the rotations slightly.
    Bont/Libba/Treloar/Smith/Macrae can cover the bulk of centre square attendances, with Lippi/West pinch hitting inside occasionally.

Lippi is a beautiful kick inside 50 (Bruce thinks he's the best in the team at it) so I'd be looking to maximise that ability rather than get Lippi to play Dunks' defensive role which is not his natural game.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

20. Likes DOG GOD liked this post