2 6.67%
  • Happy for the club to pass on both deals

14 46.67%
  • Lets find some other deals to get done

9 30.00%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

If the deals don't get done?

The word is that we are a fair way off getting the Josh Dunkley or Rory Lobb deals done.

I think we can all agree that Brisbane's initial offer for Dunkley was unacceptable and they prioritised the two father sons over Dunks.
    Lobb is an interesting one, on paper he fits our needs almost perfectly but we seem to be a fair way apart with what Freo expect and what we are prepared to pay.

How would you feel if we walked Dunks to the PSD and we didn't get a deal for Lobb done and that Liam Jones is the only fish that we landed?

I'm a drafts focused person and would like to have more picks this year but I can understand why we don't want to lose Dunkley for a significant discount. I've also been lukewarm about bringing Lobb in for next season.

I think most of us would have been prepared to not get one of these deals done but I'm not so sure about how people would feel about not getting either of those deals done.

What are your thoughts?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks Jasper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If the deals don't get done?

Waco, Texas:

A Davidian recounts leader David Koresh saying it's "too late to turn back," and telling followers that "you're going to get to the point where there is no way out, that, 'You know you're gonna die. And then you're gonna trust God. 'Cause even if it's the last second before the tank hits you, even if it's a foot away and you go, God! You know. And if it's for a second, the last second, it's gonna run you over, or you burn, you know, or you get shot or whatever. ...asked why he hasn't delivered us yet, he says we haven't travailed enough."
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The issue with not getting Lobb across the line is it may hurt in future years, as players may not want to 'do a Dunkley' and nominate a club that can't get the deal done.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Likes Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently the Lobb deal will be discussed today with Freo. My gut feel is it will be done, however, seems the Dunkley deal is way off at the moment.

I voted for the last option - let's get some players to fill gaps.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure we've considered other deals, I really want us to take a first rounder to draft though. Ideally more.
    I'd rather forego a fringe player from another club if it means preserving our earlier picks.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Just get the Dunkley deal done.

I'm actually surprised the club was so openly loving to him at the B and F (in the room people were standing and applauding) and now we won't facilitate a deal.

I get it's on both parties, and no doubt the Lions first offer was unders but can't we just get it done and move onto other things!
    Future first and 21. The difference bw 15 and 21 I don't get the angst (eg if we would deal with 15 for eg).

10. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea how things will play out but I do suspect what ever happens this trade and draft period will be instructive as to whether Bevo is with us beyond 2023.
    If we have a good 2023 then I suspect the club will be able to claim the approach taken in 2022 trade/drat period was justified.
    If we struggle then I think the acid will (fairly) come directly onto the football department including the Head Coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

I'm actually surprised the club was so openly loving to him at the B and F (in the room people were standing and applauding) and now we won't facilitate a deal.

I get it's on both parties, and no doubt the Lions first offer was unders but can't we just get it done and move onto other things!
    Future first and 21. The difference bw 15 and 21 I don't get the angst (eg if we would deal with 15 for eg).
    we are facilitating a deal, we arent giving him away for nothing.

13. Likes bornadog, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably a much-worse poker player than Power, but I'd be getting close to the point of doing the Dunkley deal at unders and turning our attention elsewhere. He doesn't want to be here, this is the second time it's gone this way with Josh and there's no option for us to hold onto him this time.

I don't think he's critical to our success next year - take the best Brisbane offer we'll get, bank the salary cap space and see what jockeying we can do elsewhere.

I wouldn't be moving from our initial Lobb offer which felt like fair value to me, but that's because I don't want or think we need him.

15. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I'm probably a much-worse poker player than Power, but I'd be getting close to the point of doing the Dunkley deal at unders and turning our attention elsewhere. He doesn't want to be here, this is the second time it's gone this way with Josh and there's no option for us to hold onto him this time.

I don't think he's critical to our success next year - take the best Brisbane offer we'll get, bank the salary cap space and see what jockeying we can do elsewhere.

I wouldn't be moving from our initial Lobb offer which felt like fair value to me, but that's because I don't want or think we need him.
    He's screwed us once and dictated the position he wants to play, now he's hi-jacking the trade period. I'm sure we can walk and chew bubble gum but lets be rid of this loathsome priest !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    we are facilitating a deal, we arent giving him away for nothing.
    Future first and 21 isn't nothing surely ? (To be fair I don't know the current offer).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Are they offering 21 and Future 1st ?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    They want something back as well
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    That's what is being reported but I've got no idea tbh.

Post Thanks / Like

If the deals don't get done hit the draft!
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket