Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  200
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to pull the Liam Jones move.

It’s gotta be worth a try. He can’t play with Naughton and Bruce. He just looked lost. I’d love to see him succeed, but please don’t pick him to play forward again.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    The only issue is his lack of intensity and being a bit soft.

But whats to lose as hes not making it as a forward.
    I'd have said (and surely not been alone) the same about Dale.

Though I think he also lacks some athletic traits required as a defender. Agree there's not much to lose.

3. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm on board. I am a fan of the Shack and actually thought his last 10 minutes or so were not bad - he was continuing to present and create an option, which is where he does his best work on the lead.

In a 1v1 contest though, he is absolutely horrendous. I don't see that improving as a defender. But hey, let's give it a crack.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely he can play the Lever role of standing on his own deep in defence?

You need height and aerial prowess in defence. Besides Keath, who has his hands full most weeks, we have no one that can mark the thing.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been advocating for this since JUH's arrival. Lets face it even if he starts performing we know we will pick the Naughton, Bruce and JUH ahead of him as key forwards and English is now one of them as well.

He lacks the intensity to be a proper key forward, I'm not sure key defence plays to his strengths (he is medicore in the air and lacks assertiveness) but he isn't gonna be a key forward with us, or a ruck, so we might as well try it.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

To anyone with eyes that function the very concept has strong "Easton to the forward line" vibes.

Josh will positively terrorise EDFL backlines in due course though.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

8. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    They said that about Liam Jones. Three games later he’s never been dropped from the seniors. Having him kick 40 in the vfl only marginally increases his trade value. If he can play a defensive role, maybe we don’t need to mortgage the farm to goy buy one. I see nothing to lose at this point.
    Liam could always attack the ball in the air and its this ability that has allowed him to become a good spoiler and a good interceptor. Schache has neither of these traits.

Also when he went to Carlton he played half a season at CHB before being tried in the 1s in that position. Its not goona work, but if we're gonna try it he needs to start playing there in the 2s now.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Liam could always attack the ball in the air and its this ability that has allowed him to become a good spoiler and a good interceptor. Schache has neither of these traits.

Also when he went to Carlton he played half a season at CHB before being tried in the 1s in that position. Its not goona work, but if we're gonna try it he needs to start playing there in the 2s now.
    I think this is more "well he isn't gonna make it as a key forward or ruckman" than "we think he might make it as a key defender".
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lacked confidence tonight in his first game, opponent had it all over him and he ran out of ideas
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

It’s time. Jones, Moore, Naughton - probably more - made the switch to the other end successfully.

CHB until EOY in the VFL or bust

14. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shaq doesn't have the toughness to play as a defender. I think he has basically no chance of making it in defence.

Question: How do you think he would have gone against Lynch last night? I think we all know that answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    It’s gotta be worth a try. He can’t play with Naughton and Bruce. He just looked lost. I’d love to see him succeed, but please don’t pick him to play forward again.
    Schache was on a hiding to nothing yesterday without the support of English missing and a poor game by Bruce and then to be played as the second ruck which he clearly isn’t. The ball hardly came into our attack after half time due to Richmond’s ability to stifle our midfield, which didn’t help his cause.
    I would prefer to see Bruce tried in defence where he had played with St. Kilda rather than Schache. I am yet to be convinced that playing 3 talls on the forward line is the best structure. The stronger teams use two key forwards only which works a lot better

Post Thanks / Like

I agree its time to pull the Liam Jones move in the sense that it’s time to stop playing him and trade him to Carlton for Caleb Daniel.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

At the very least it might teach him how to compete physically. Defenders have to get their hands dirty, it's part of the job, so maybe just maybe he might learn what it takes to defend and develop the physical side of his game he obviously lacks.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

How can you send a bloke to defence that can’t even win a one on one when leading in the forward line, Jones could at least take a grab.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

20. Likes azabob liked this post