Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  200
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to pull the Liam Jones move.

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I honestly don't know how the coaching group goes from not ever trying him in defence beyond a few sporadic quarters at VFL level when it was clear a change of role was required if he was to salvage a career with us, to inserting him into the D50 in our biggest game of the year. It's bizarre all round but I am rapt he got his chance and took it.
    It was a bold move. Could easily have backfired but testament to their fortitude with our dwindling key defensive stocks. That has to be one of the best decisions by the MC. Really just brilliant.

2. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To win a premiership we need these positions covered which we were up against Melb:
    1 Fulltime ruckman or 1x main Ruck + 1 ruck fwd : Gawn + Jackson

2 good marking backman : lever + May
    3. good midfield with depth : petracca/vinney/brayshaw
    4. 2 gun fwd with crumbing smalls. Macdonald + fristch

we have them covered today. Only the fulltime ruck still worries me.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't know how the coaching group goes from not ever trying him in defence beyond a few sporadic quarters at VFL level when it was clear a change of role was required if he was to salvage a career with us, to inserting him into the D50 in our biggest game of the year. It's bizarre all round but I am rapt he got his chance and took it.
    I'm not sure it was as clear cut as that. It's easier to make a move like that when a player shows effort in hitting contests. Not sure Josh has shown that before.
    Maybe career on the line has sparked something in him?

I'm actually tantalised by the options it opens up for Bevo in the finals.
    Mantis mentioned it, in terms of moving Naughton back.

Imagine in a final, having the ability to switch things up by swapping Naughton with Schache if we needed to change things up.
    That could be interesting.

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I hate to say I told you so but...
    I don’t mind saying it. It was a niche few of us pushing it. But everyone gets to share the love. I’ve always had a soft spot for Josh and believed he had the necessary attributes. Belief is one of the biggest factors for Josh and he he can take take so much out of Tonight and I’m sure the coaches can drive this home. If he can get momentum of belief from here on out, then I’m not prepared to rule anything out for him this year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the plan was to effectively tag Jackson and Keath’s injury kind of spannered it. Whatever who cares about the working out.

I don’t think he can be a genuine KPD but definitely think he can be a Lukosius style third tall who uses it phenomenally.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I think the plan was to effectively tag Jackson and Keath’s injury kind of spannered it. Whatever who cares about the working out.

I don’t think he can be a genuine KPD but definitely think he can be a Lukosius style third tall who uses it phenomenally.
    Is that better or worse?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos to Schache tonight, really stood up when required.
    I was one who doubted his heart was in it, or capable, elated he proved me wrong tonight.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Kudos to Schache tonight, really stood up when required.
    Don’t you mean kudos to BT and Comrade? All Schache did was play a good game.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

12. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

If he becomes a reliable second tall with a velvet left foot to open up the ground I'm fine with that.

His disposal out of defence hasn't ever been a worry for me. What has was his confidence due to being out-competed in the air and at the contest, and having the confidence sucked out of him to use his velvet left foot.

We saw a glimpse tonight, it's not descending into reach around stages yet but a door has opened.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apart from the fact he’s a good mark, great ball user, reads the play well and can play nearly 95% while rucking too, this is a BIG thing for us:

Cordy 195cm
    Gardner 197cm
    Keath 197cm
    Schache 201cm

With resting ruckman and three headed monster becoming more and more a thing. That extra height plus reach adds in some variety to our choice. (Young not included as I doubt he’s around next year. Height taken from the afl app. If your not happy with them please don’t derail another thread)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If he becomes a reliable second tall with a velvet left foot to open up the ground I'm fine with that.

His disposal out of defence hasn't ever been a worry for me. What has was his confidence due to being out-competed in the air and at the contest, and having the confidence sucked out of him to use his velvet left foot.

We saw a glimpse tonight, it's not descending into reach around stages yet but a door has opened.
    Yeah agree with that. He can get down real bad and his whole game goes with it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

The big test will come when the opposition can get some speed on the ball. He has shown tonight he can play his role in our system and be hard to get past on a relatively slow play. That’s a great start, might mean he becomes the higher tall defender and leaves others for the deep role.

Post Thanks / Like

Great performance from Schache given he’d hardly played all year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    The big test will come when the opposition can get some speed on the ball. He has shown tonight he can play his role in our system and be hard to get past on a relatively slow play. That’s a great start, might mean he becomes the higher tall defender and leaves others for the deep role.
    Hopefully this is where his smarts come into it. He's not kicked goals or performed well based on much else than that fact he's just so bloody talented. Not trying to take anything away from having to work hard to cut it at AFL level but that's essentially why he's only been able to do it sporadically.

He won't ever be the quickest, but if he can take a few steps forward in getting used to running to the extent a defender must and couple that with his footy brain and talent he could pan out well in the role.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really happy for Josh. He has become an important part of our plans for the next few weeks at least, and I hope that he continues to build his defensive craft.

There were definitely still times tonight where he got lost, or outsmarted by his opponent - the main example I can think of is when Brown attacked the ball to mark over 3 smaller Dogs while Schack stood rooted to the spot a few meters back. But that will come.

There were plenty of positive signs, and I am looking forward to seeing him develop in the role. He can be a real POD with his kicking skills coming out of the backline.