Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  200
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to pull the Liam Jones move.

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Hopefully this is where his smarts come into it. He's not kicked goals or performed well based on much else than that fact he's just so bloody talented. Not trying to take anything away from having to work hard to cut it at AFL level but that's essentially why he's only been able to do it sporadically.

He won't ever be the quickest, but if he can take a few steps forward in getting used to running to the extent a defender must and couple that with his footy brain and talent he could pan out well in the role.
    That's what I have always thought about Josh. He's got as much talent as any player I've seen.

It'd be a huge shame to see him waste all that talent, hopefully tonight is his first small step towards that not happening.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes EasternWest, bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark Stevens tweeted that Schache has been 'quietly training for the role' over the last few weeks.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Thanks azabob, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Mark Stevens tweeted that Schache has been 'quietly training for the role' over the last few weeks.
    I mean, any journalist that did their job could have found out that he played some time in the backline at VFL level and it was his likely role leading in to the game. But no, still reported as a 'surprise' from Bevo that he played in defence.

It's a shame there weren't more VFL games for him to work on it, but he obviously showed enough to earn his opportunity - another case of us having only a portion of the information the MC does.

6. Likes dog town liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think of my heart rate. A half decent cross to a 201cm guy is going to be marked. From there his kicking is of good decisions, quick, accurate and can open up the play which hits targets to advantage. This keeps my heart rate in check. A lot more when compared to say Crozier or Cordy used as the link man setting up the play or switching. 201cm athletes shouldn’t be be great kicks, and great kicks shouldn’t be 201cm. I think the best use of height and general play foot skills is down back. If he sneaks down when second rucking we know he’s a gun shot at goal too. The idea that our defence is taller, mobile and of better foot skills is such a great potential wildcard.

Plus remembering, Josh has never done this at AFL level or in his juniors. No preseason with the defensive coach, learning the system week in and out. It stands to reason with specific coaching, a crash course in our system and belief he’s going to get better this year. It’s not as if this performance was against North on GF or St Kilda. Add in a preseason and his manic training he does over the break and there’s a lot of cause for optimism.

Moreover, in my various trading threads I’ve said the best case is Josh is tried down back and he becomes our ‘KPD recruit’ to strengthen defence for next year. Because if that happens, we can go a little harder on a good ruck knowing we’re not doing nothing about our KPD stock. If we get a month or two of form that gives us confidence we have four options in Josh, Keath, Gardner & Cordy with KPFs in Naughton, Bruce, Jamarra, English resting there and Darcy then our book ends look good without too much effort. Our mids are elite. The best ruck we can find covers everything off nicely and Schache as our defencsive recruit makes that easier as there’s no trade and there’s a year to run on his contract. That also saves on the salary which opens up more options to improve the list. If this goes how I hope it will and expect it will, the benefits on all fronts are huge.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 25-07-2021 at 10:23 AM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Let’s just say with Stevo latest career shift I no longer see his tweets!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Let’s just say with Stevo latest career shift I no longer see his tweets!
    Yeah, it's a weird one.

The tweets he actually writes are still quite AFL/Dogs oriented.

It's the ones he shares which are embarrassing for him.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wrong. Schache might be a decent defender. I think he'll get caught out with speed here or there, but Fletcher Roberts was slower than treacle but was smart enough to make it work. Schache is an upgrade.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can we rely on Schache in the finals to be our CHB? He has had limited exposure in the role?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can we rely on Schache in the finals to be our CHB? He has had limited exposure in the role?
    We’ll see, he’s for third tall than CHB. He’s got the height to take the resting ruckman and tank to ruck too. I’d take him over Crozier in a heart beat. He doesn’t need to take on the really big forwards. Josh rucking also means Bruce doesn’t have to so our forward line is stronger throughout the game.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It's a shame we didn't give him some chances last year and earlier this year but he got through and tight encounter in difficult conditions so it's a promising start. Need to give him the oppositions best forward each week now to see how he goes.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We’ll see, he’s for third tall than CHB. He’s got the height to take the resting ruckman and tank to ruck too. I’d take him over Crozier in a heart beat. He doesn’t need to take on the really big forwards. Josh rucking also means Bruce doesn’t have to so our forward line is stronger throughout the game.
    BT, for mine Schache came into the team to follow Jackson around which meant playing back and changing in the ruck.

In the next few weeks I can’t see him performing the same role unless Young comes in.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

16. Likes mjp, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know he got at least 2 but how many intercept marks did he get?

Post Thanks / Like

Like him in the role.

Interesting Bevos press conference that it seemingly has been a discussion point for a while, but they had resisted the move because it’s tough playing forward at Footscray and they rate Schache as a forward. Given the competition for spots and likely another draftee coming, hard to see this not being the go for Josh.

As mentioned above, his field kicking is a big plus as a defender. He’s already our most assured key position defender with ball in hand!

19. Likes josie, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I know he got at least 2 but how many intercept marks did he get?
    17 disposals, six marks and seven intercepts for Josh Schache, the defender.

Good interview here
    Last edited by bornadog; 25-07-2021 at 02:01 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Likes josie, Topdog, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

According to training footage the club just put out, Schache with the Domestique guernsey at training this week!

A week is a long time in football.

23. Thanks bulldogtragic, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Scraggers, SquirrelGrip, ratsmac, Dry Rot liked this post