Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  200
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to pull the Liam Jones move.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    That can be taught preferably over a pre-season.
    I’m not so sure given the lessons required to become a key forward haven’t been able to be learnt over 5 pre seasons. His lack of physicality in the contest can’t be hidden either as a forward or defender… and it’s holding him back as he has some really good attributes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I agree. Schache wasn't the problem. The lace out delivery to Peter Wright that the Bombers midfield provided was outstanding. There was maybe one/two instances where you could suggest that Schache could have positioned better.

at the other end - Bruce, Scott, The Bont, JUH, English all miss very gettable goals.
    Right as usual Fredi. When our mids refuse to defend, even Alex Keath can be made to look average. In light of today’s second non effort by our mids to defend, is perhaps some proof Josh is more advanced than some criticism that went his way by some others.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Josh might have gone forward and kicked 2 and a GA for the sealer…

But to the thread, when shot got serious in the first he pushed into defence and took a good contested mark and had a few really good touches. Without the games earlier in defence I wonder if he’d have the confidence to push up and position himself to help the defenders out. I still have seriously high hopes for him as a defender next to Keath & Gardner, but I liked the reward for him and the team with the games in defence this year. The ability to move him around with confidence this week might be important.

Well done kid.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Swing man. Every team needs a tall utility that can plug holes, Josh is that man.

5. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFEL.com

A WINDY, mid-season practice game at Whitten Oval against Sydney was the scene for the Western Bulldogs' defensive experiment with key forward Josh Schache.

Coach Luke Beveridge had mentioned the idea in passing and pulled the trigger for two quarters against the Swans to see how Schache coped against a trio of tall forwards.

It turned out to be the move that reinvigorated the 24-year-old, got him back in the senior team and ultimately led to him playing a key role as a forward in last week's elimination final win against Essendon.

He enters this Saturday night's semi-final against his former club Brisbane as a key structural player at either end of the ground, and credits the defensive switch for breathing new life into his season.

"I was really excited by it and just felt like it was a really big freshener for me," Schache told AFL.com.au this week.

"I almost got addicted to trying to learn something new and it was definitely something that gave me a bit of spark.

"Bevo floated the idea past me one day and it sounds cliched, but I said I'm happy to do whatever you guys want me to do.

"I had a few games back there before I played that game against Melbourne [in round 19], so it was a good challenge and I was excited about it."

Schache played his only game for the first half of this season in round seven before dropping back to the VFL until his opportunity as a defender came.

The irony of his move back, which resulted in three senior games between rounds 19 and 21, is that the Bulldogs then used him to good effect as a forward against the Bombers.

The former Lion was a surprise late inclusion for that match and booted two goals from marks and set shots, grasping his opportunity when it came.

"I've just had that mindset that you never know when you're going to get an opportunity," Schache said.

"Getting that opportunity on the weekend to come in and play a role for the team, I knew I was being put in for a reason, so I had the confidence to go out there and play my role."

Defenders Alex Keath, Hayden Crozier and housemate Buku Khamis helped Schache learn his new craft, with defensive coach Rohan Smith an important teacher.

Smith said the 201cm big man now had the versatility and skills to move to either end whenever needed, but also the confidence, which had been the most important aspect of Schache's growth in the second half of the season.

"He's grasped his new role, he knows how important it is for the side and it's all come through confidence. You gain momentum out of that," Smith said.

"We know how important dual-position players are. If you can fill a role down back but also go forward and impact games or kick goals or provide a contest, those players are just so important."

Described as humble, softly spoken and incredibly respectful, there's also a supremely competitive streak to Schache that kicks up a gear on game day.

He couldn't break into the Bulldogs team for any meaningful period in 2020, playing only two games, and admits a long period out of the team might have rocked him.

But his three-month stretch out of the team this year made him more resilient and ready to play a key role against his former club, meeting them for only the second time in his four seasons with the Bulldogs.

"Along the way there's been periods where you do doubt yourself and it can be hard," the No.2 pick in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft said.

"Especially the last few years we've had with so much uncertainty.

"But I really think this year I've grown personally. Things didn't work for me earlier in the year, but I think that's made me a little bit stronger and more resilient in the way I go about it mentally and stick at it.

"I've stuck at it and knew an opportunity would come at some point, and when it did I would be ready."

7. Thanks Grantysghost, HOSE B ROMERO, bornadog, GVGjr, macca thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo loves the versatility in players
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache you have 2 reasons to be in the team every week now. To play forward and/or back.

He played a big part in the last 2 goals of tonight's final against Brisbane, kicking one and shepherd through another from Smith combination.

I hope he can keep his confidence and start to dominate games as the best of Schache is yet to come. His only 24, so he should be starting to be in the right spot of his career. I hope he can fill out 2-3 kg more and learn to take contested marks. Because a Schache beastmode would be awesome to watch and put fear into teams.

A team with:
    Naughton charging at 110% flying for marks
    Schache leading at 110% on the other side
    Bruce in the middle leading
    With English rotating in any of these positions.

Its going to be really scary for team oppositions when this all clicks.

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Schache you have 2 reasons to be in the team every week now. To play forward and/or back.

He played a big part in the last 2 goals of tonight's final against Brisbane, kicking one and shepherd through another from Smith combination.

I hope he can keep his confidence and start to dominate games as the best of Schache is yet to come. His only 24, so he should be starting to be in the right spot of his career. I hope he can fill out 2-3 kg more and learn to take contested marks. Because a Schache beastmode would be awesome to watch and put fear into teams.

A team with:
    Naughton charging at 110% flying for marks
    Schache leading at 110% on the other side
    Bruce in the middle leading
    With English rotating in any of these positions.

Its going to be really scary for team oppositions when this all clicks.
    And you haven't even mentioned Marra.
    "It's over. It's all over."

12. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2 Finals being played out of position: Scoring 3 Goals Straight, 1 GA sealing last week, a shepherd on the line to get one of Smith’s in, 8 Score Involvements. So a hand in 5 Goals in two finals.

Plus Averaging: 11.5 Disposals, 4.5 Marks, 1.5 Inside 50, 135.5m Gained, 2.5 Goals (per above).

Not perfect. But we needed another avenue to goal, directly or indirectly. He’s given us that. Which isn’t bad for a KPD.

Post Thanks / Like

He really shat the bed at different times, and to his credit did it in different ways!

However, he was also extremely important early and late and on the basis of that worth persevering as a swing player who can also help in the ruck.

Please Josh, just be yourself and back your skills and brain in because they're both unique for someone of your size. It's career time for you now mate, go get it!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He really shat the bed at different times, and to his credit did it in different ways!

However, he was also extremely important early and late and on the basis of that worth persevering as a swing player who can also help in the ruck.

Please Josh, just be yourself and back your skills and brain in because they're both unique for someone of your size. It's career time for you now mate, go get it!
    Couple of terrible efforts BUT stayed in the game and kept presenting. We missed him going inside twice in really easy kicks as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Couple of terrible efforts BUT stayed in the game and kept presenting. We missed him going inside twice in really easy kicks as well.
    Absolutely. And he wasn't the only one who missed out, in fact, that we were able to scramble and score enough to win is massive.

I just want him to do what he does best as often as he can. Hit targets, take the easy marks, present and present again. I know in my heart...and possibly head, that if he does that then he will get better and better at the other stuff that's been more difficult to him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    And you haven't even mentioned Marra.
    We are going to have some good problems!

Completely forgot about Marra tonight.

And Darcy coming in hopeful in the draft we pick him up.

Post Thanks / Like

They have a long memory...

Watching the Kayo mini. Schache gets the ball and a bloke next to a crowd mic says deridingly “I want to go home Schache”...

Ironic, that bloke is the one who is going home. Josh is flying to Perth to play in a Prelim.

20. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hope Josh keeps his spot next week.
    Yes he dropped the sitter that would've been a goal, and he didn't trouble the statistician overall, but I was watching him off the ball, and he definitely was up for the contest.. He was body on body and looking to initiate contact. This meant a lot to him and his intent was clear.. He just fluffed his moment.