Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  200
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to pull the Liam Jones move.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Schache was absolutely horrible today. No mincing words, no considering his stat output, just woefully exposed against a bang-average key forward.

If we had a competent defender on Wright he doesn't touch it as he usually doesn't touch it and we win comfortably.
    I agree, but with a different perspective. Keath on Wright should be easy work, no doubt. Our loss wasn’t about Wright.

Schache is never going to be the #1 KPD. Especially in game 3. Take Carlton when Liam Jones was moved back at AFL, he was the #3 KPD at Carlton, taking the #3 KPF/Mid Sized. Josh has just two games behind him, the MC and Coach made him #1 KPD, while Young wasn’t selected as a more experienced support and Cordy wasn’t moved onto Wright with all his experience and mongrel. Josh was put in the deep end and the lack of effort up the ground made it deeper again.

I can easily forgive a game like this, for all the reasons in the above posts. The test ongoing is if he can be a good #2 or #3 KPD. I believe he will make the grade. I want to see him with Keath in the team, because that’s going to be the fairest test for him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Young needs to take over the role. Schache can train for the role over summer
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Why did we manage Weightman? Wrong thread but right question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Why did we manage Weightman? Wrong thread but right question.
    He pulled up sore

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He pulled up sore
    Not hubris?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Not hubris?
    I still think he had a bit of concussion after smacking his head on the ground last week

8. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm willing to give him a chance to show what he can do as the no 2 KPD. Needs a pre-season
    He's no number 1 but he's makeshift right now out of necessity.
    Yep. To summaries the stats I’ve just gone with average AFL Fantasy Points this season. Schache’s 3 Games (not inc. Richmond game where he played forward)

Schache 64.3 Points (Most averages amongst our KPDs for: Marks, Contested Marks, Rebound 50’s, Clearances, Stoppage Clearances, Second for Intercepts, Effective Disposals, Score Involvements, Metres Gained)

Keath 57.3 Points
    Wood 50.4 Points
    Young 46.6 Points
    Cordy 46.0 Points
    Gardner 25.0 Points

Josh is clearly doing a lot right to rank highly. But as the forced #1 there’s plenty of development seeing as he’s had three games and no preseason working on his craft. Moving into #2 with Keath back will likely see his output increase. This is a work in progress but there’s a lot to like if people look for it. Patience to reap long term benefits and with Keath back it might be sooner. The question might be pick Cordy and give up a few goals with no hurt factor, or pick Josh who might give up a few but offers some hurt factor. I know what I’d prefer.

Edit: SuperCoach

Schache 75.6
    Keath 74.6
    Young 60.4
    Cordy 58.2
    Wood 55.7
    Gardner 38.8
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 09-08-2021 at 08:23 AM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes josie, Danjul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At least 4 of Wright's goals were from outside 50 or near the boundary. Even Brian Lake would have let him lead to those spots, but our aerial spoiling was nowhere today
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

12. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schache had a couple of opportunities to impact the game and he didn't to the extent we might like but that's going to happen with any defender let alone someone who is three games in.

The poor performance of our midfield was scandalous and our defencive unit should be completely pissed off by it, because they were ultimately the ones made to look like shit.

You know when WCE look like shit? it's when their midfield does to them what ours did to us today. McGovern and Barras get poleaxed and they are the best in the league.

Our midfield was disgusting and there's nothing more to it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Does Schache have stumpy arms? He just doesn’t seem to be able to spoil.

Post Thanks / Like

Does he go forward again now Bruce is out? And Young in with Keath and Gardner to return by finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Does he go forward again now Bruce is out? And Young in with Keath and Gardner to return by finals.
    Not for me. If he’s not playing in defence, I’d rather him out of the team altogether. Play Sweet in the ruck, push English forward. A forward line of Naughts, Marra and English isn’t troubling a top 4 defence but it’s better than having Schache in it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

17. Likes 1eyedog, DOG GOD, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Does Schache have stumpy arms? He just doesnÂ’t seem to be able to spoil.
    His opponent took 7 marks for 7 goals.

Bruce took 7 marks for 3 goals.

Naughton took 5 marks for 1 goal.

we didnÂ’t lose because of SchacheÂ’s arms, it was their legs (or more accurately, whatÂ’s between their ears).

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody here has mentioned the fact that Schache is both shorter (2 cm) and lighter (6 kg) than Wright.

Both significant when the ball is being delivered well, as it was yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Nobody here has mentioned the fact that Schache is both shorter (2 cm) and lighter (6 kg) than Wright.

Both significant when the ball is being delivered well, as it was yesterday.
    It's a fair point, when youre getting towelled up in the midfield and the ball exits stoppages like it did it's difficult for the defence.

I think both things are right. Schache was bad on a very tough day for defenders. Our two best are injured so it really exposed the ruck/midfield belting.