Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  200
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to pull the Liam Jones move.

I'd have killed for either Gardiner or Keath yesterday over either of the other key defenders. Huge ins if they come good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Gardner has only lost one, 1 on 1 in the games he played this year.
    He lost multiple against WC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Gardner will punch when given the opportunity and has far superior closing speed.

He's no world beater but when fit he's easily in front of Schache as a defender
    He will try to punch, but it's not always effective.

Schache has a long way to go to be a competent defender, but he does have the ability to win the ball back which is something Gardner has never shown... he is a defend (punch/spoil) at all cost player which is not the way of the modern tall defender.

Post Thanks / Like

Gardner and Cordy cannot/do not take contested marks. Cordy is always behind his man so he’s no chance. Young and Schache can at least take a mark down there which will be very much required come finals.

Realistically, I have no faith in either 3 to stand up in finals.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Gardner and Cordy cannot/do not take contested marks. Cordy is always behind his man so he’s no chance. Young and Schache can at least take a mark down there which will be very much required come finals.

Realistically, I have no faith in either 3 to stand up in finals.
    We need Keath and Gardner.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We need Keath and Gardner.
    I’d go with Keath, Gardner and Young, but the only way Cordy doesn’t play finals, is if his injured.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He lost multiple against WC.
    Is that official or your observation?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That one on one stat is super misleading BAD, and I think it only takes into account isolated wrestles with no one else in the vicinity, of which there might be one a game.

The same stat had Liam Jones allegedly only losing one all year too, and he gave up 3 marks to Naughts in about 5 minutes when we played them.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Is that official or your observation?
    Observation.

But in re-collection it was probably only one contest where his opponent (Allen) marked it, in the other he was ineffective with his spoil and the ball spilled to a free to a WC player who goaled.

As we know stats can be dressed up in any way to tell a story.. Zaine probably has good 1 v 1 stats too, but often isn't in the picture when his opponent marks the ball.

9. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing against Gardner, but the fact that he's our 2nd choice KPD says a lot about our KPD stocks. It simply must be addressed this offseason, along with the ruck.

11. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Nothing against Gardner, but the fact that he's our 2nd choice KPD says a lot about our KPD stocks. It simply must be addressed this offseason, along with the ruck.
    We have been light on for KP and ruck depth for a few years now. Even adding both Bruce and Keath in the same trade period only got us back to a reasonable position.

We might address it in the off season but I wouldn't hold my breath unless there are free agents we can acquire.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    At least Josh gets involved in the game and offsets the losses with good hurt factor per his stats in the first three games
    Maybe play him in the Matthew Richardson/Nick Riewoldt wing role
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Maybe play him in the Matthew Richardson/Nick Riewoldt wing role
    That could also work for sure. But I’d persist with KPD #2 or #3. I think sides will go with three talls more now, or two and a ruck resting forward. Josh has the extra height. He just needs more exposure in the role and a preseason to truly learn and develop into a KPD. He can only get better. His marking and hurt factor is good. Once he can develop the one on one skills, and other tools of the trade I think he will absolutely make the grade.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That could also work for sure. But I’d persist with KPD #2 or #3. I think sides will go with three talls more now, or two and a ruck resting forward. Josh has the extra height. He just needs more exposure in the role and a preseason to truly learn and develop into a KPD. He can only get better. His marking and hurt factor is good. Once he can develop the one on one skills, and other tools of the trade I think he will absolutely make the grade.
    I'm excited to see what he can produce after a pre-season of training with the defensive group.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm excited to see what he can produce after a pre-season of training with the defensive group.
    Me too. He’s shown more than enough in the other parts of his game, that when schooled by Dale Morris 6-7 months he will get the defensive skills to succeed. If he’s our second ruck, some time to improve on this would be great too. All we needed this year was ‘proof of concept’, and we’ve got that.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    The thing that frustrated me the most was 2, maybe 3, occasions where Shack was behind a 200cm key forward and decided to go up with flat hands trying to ??outmark him??. Put a bloody fist through it.
    That can be taught preferably over a pre-season.