Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  200
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to pull the Liam Jones move.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I reckon its you Comrade, me and a couple of others who’d have said Schache plays in a GF in defence. Enjoy the glory.
    One of the highlights of 2021 was how excited we were at Schache playing a quarter of defence in the VFL
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    One of the highlights of 2021 was how excited we were at Schache playing a quarter of defence in the VFL
    OMFG what a *!*!*!*!ing quarter that was!!!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

AFEL.com

JOSH Schache is finally feeling the love and coach Luke Beveridge is backing the Western Bulldogs swingman to play a critical role in the Toyota AFL Grand Final.

Schache has looked a new man since his round 19 recall after struggling to get a game for much of the past two seasons.

Having orchestrated a brilliant preliminary final shutdown of Port Adelaide interceptor Aliir Aliir, Schache looks set to play a similar defensive forward role in Saturday's premiership decider against Melbourne at Optus Stadium.

The No.2 draft pick in 2015, Schache has at times looked lost in a career which has yielded just 63 games in six seasons for Brisbane and the Bulldogs.

Now, much to Beveridge's delight, the 201cm big man shapes as a genuine threat at either end of the ground.

"I love the way (the media has) given him a lot of credit after the Port Adelaide game because he did play a significant role last week against the opposition's key interceptors," Beveridge said on Friday.

"So he's got an absolutely critical role tomorrow. He seems to be really enjoying it and loving the fact that probably for the first time in his career, he's getting some love and he's the centre of attention around the influence that he's having on the field."

Melbourne's athletic Therabody AFL All-Australian defender Jake Lever looms as a potential match-up for Schache as the Bulldogs look to disrupt the Demons' intercept marking.

His selfless preliminary final role prevented Aliir from having any significant influence while also clearing space for Bulldogs spearhead Aaron Naughton.

Back in round 19 when the Bulldogs and Demons last faced off, Schache was summoned to the backline to cover for the injured Alex Keath and Ryan Gardner.

"He was a legitimate key defender that night," Beveridge said.

"With him out and Alex going down, we needed Josh to stand up as a defender and he was tremendous for a few weeks.

"Now he's in probably more of a familiar role of playing that key forward post.

"We probably in recent times haven't had anyone who we've swung either end and 'Schach' can do that, so he becomes that utility that we haven't had."
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Schache beast mode for 4 quarters

Scare the living day lights out of them with your 200 cm frame, go hard at the footy, crash those packs, and just make them fear you!

thats what I want to see.

6. Likes Testekill, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    schache beast mode for 4 quarters

scare the living day lights out of them with your 200 cm frame, go hard at the footy, crash those packs, and just make them fear you!

Thats what i want to see.
    tom boyd game. Tom boyd game! Tom boyd game!!!!!

8. Likes Testekill, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely he plays the same role in lever as he played on Aliir last week. At least from the first bounce

10. Likes chef, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Surely he plays the same role in lever as he played on Aliir last week. At least from the first bounce
    Yeah he needs to be forward and make Lever accountable.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Yeah he needs to be forward and make Lever accountable.
    Has anyone bothered to just put in a physical game against Lever ? He would just crumble.

See what happeend to Allir Allir last game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Has anyone bothered to just put in a physical game against Lever ? He would just crumble.
    Jacob Townsend did in the 2017 GF - safe to say Lever didn't handle it well at all.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

14. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting listening to Bevo on Kayo (Grand Final Thoughts) talk about how he resisted suggestions to play Shache back, telling him that he's a key forward and he'll make it in time with perseverance.

Seems happy with the fact he can play back now though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Interesting listening to Bevo on Kayo (Grand Final Thoughts) talk about how he resisted suggestions to play Shache back, telling him that he's a key forward and he'll make it in time with perseverance.

Seems happy with the fact he can play back now though
    That was a great insight. He also said when he first played back in the VFL due to the conditions was to play him up the one end of the ground to keep him in the game.
    I really got the impression Beveridge never lost faith in him.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what we go with next year; no Bruce so we lack him up forward and Schache makes a good foil for Naughton but we have JUH who should be ready to play games regularly with another preseason under the belt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    I wonder what we go with next year; no Bruce so we lack him up forward and Schache makes a good foil for Naughton but we have JUH who should be ready to play games regularly with another preseason under the belt.

My money is on Naughton stepping into Bruces ''bring it to ground'' role next year, JUH and English as our 3 talls, Schache back and trained during our off season as a intercepting defender role.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

19. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    My money is on Naughton stepping into Bruces ''bring it to ground'' role next year, JUH and English as our 3 talls, Schache back and trained during our off season as a intercepting defender role.
    Who offers more upside, Hannan or Young? Hannan had a couple of good games but was usually found wanting.

if young can play as a defender helping in the ruck, Schache can play forward Helping Naughton and JUH gets the fourth defender.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Who offers more upside, Hannan or Young? Hannan had a couple of good games but was usually found wanting.

if young can play as a defender helping in the ruck, Schache can play forward Helping Naughton and JUH gets the fourth defender.
    I don't mind this idea. Young could easily take Wood's role.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.