Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  200
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to pull the Liam Jones move.

I’d rather send Bruce back when JUH is ready. Schache will end up at Hawthorn after a trade for essentially nothing and prob doing ok there.

2. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More likely Shaq will be playing at Seymour next season than the AFL
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I’d rather send Bruce back when JUH is ready. Schache will end up at Hawthorn after a trade for essentially nothing and prob doing ok there.
    I said the same in another thread. At least he gives 110% when playing footy. He is aggressive at the ball and takes no prisoners. On Friday he got sick and tired of Grimes holding on to him and really let him have it in the contests.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    He's AFL skill standard, but in everything else he's not.

I had high hopes for him, but it's time to put a line through.
    Sounds like, reading that, he needs to create a Baseketball type sport. He’d easily be the Joe Cooper, Mason Wood the Doug Remer and Tom ‘Squeak Little Bitch’ Browne7.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    How can you send a bloke to defence that can’t even win a one on one when leading in the forward line, Jones could at least take a grab.
    Im not convinced Jones could take a grab up forward

Jones has however transformed himself physically and in his mental application to the contest - IMO Jones deserves a lot of credit for becoming the player he has

7. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His only chance at carving out a career at the Bulldogs is a change of role. The odds are slim that it’ll work but the odds of him becoming a long term AFL caliber forward with us is zero.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce would be destroyed at CHB. The only redeeming feature Bruce has as a forward is his ability to act first to create separation on a lead. If he has to premeditate how the ball is coming in and react quickly to the movements of a young CHF he'll be cooked on the lead every time. He reads the flight of the ball ok 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time is the concern.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just about to type exactly the same thing. Bruce and Keith down there we suddenly look so mux=ch stronger. On paper at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Moving Bruce to the backline is robbing Peter to pay Paul. Schache either makes it as a forward and forces the issue or he doesn't. Trying him as a defender is a good idea, but to me between Keath and Lew Young he is again going to struggle to get a place unless he demands a spot with form.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Moving Bruce to the backline is robbing Peter to pay Paul. Schache either makes it as a forward and forces the issue or he doesn't. Trying him as a defender is a good idea, but to me between Keath and Lew Young he is again going to struggle to get a place unless he demands a spot with form.
    My Bruce comment was also “when JUH is ready”. For the time being he isn’t so we def need to try things with defence and the talls we have at our disposal... which gives us few options.

Post Thanks / Like

My Bruce comment was also “when JUH is ready”. For the time being he isn’t so we def need to try things with defence and the talls we have at our disposal... which gives us few options.
    Bruce Back, Schache stays in and see how he goes over a number of weeks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bruce Back, Schache stays in and see how he goes over a number of weeks.
    And then I change teams. Sorry BAD but I never want to see Schache in the firsts again, and Bruce back would be a disaster (he's having a pretty good year Friday notwithstanding, kind of like the team as a whole).
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    And then I change teams. Sorry BAD but I never want to see Schache in the firsts again, and Bruce back would be a disaster (he's having a pretty good year Friday notwithstanding, kind of like the team as a whole).
    Take out Bruce's performances against the 2 bottom teams he's actually having a pretty average year and his efforts in the 2nd half on Friday night, when we needed our experienced players to stand up, were extremely poor.. like how many times can you actually run under the ball??... and it's easy to kick Schache, but it was his first game in a year and he landed into a fierce contest against a strong & experienced defence.

17. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess I might as well put my 10 cents worth in.

This is in regards to moving Bruce to the backline, and giving Schache a bit more of a chance to get back in to the swing of things at senior level.

Some players seem to get a free pass to perform poorly and contribute very little in tangible terms but get named week after week after week. I believe this approach to team selection may be somewhat of an Achille's heel in Bevo's personal approach to team, and man management. His refusal to play a back up ruckman for Tim English in the St.Kilda final last year killed us. His refusal to give Trengrove a game even though he was what we were screaming out for. A back up ruck/key defender, possibly. (and in my opinion probably) cost us any chance of winning that game.

Some stubborn part of his make up just refuses to budge on his personnel assessments. Anthony Scott, Ryan Gardner, Lachie Macneal were all given so much leeway and support. Lipinski plays one bad game and he's out. Schache plays one game for the year and he's crap. Get rid of him. He's useless. (I haven't heard Bevo say that, but I'm hearing this from woofers)

I would also like to address the 'robbing Peter to pay Paul' logic when discussing moving Bruce to the backline.

Please understand this.....PAUL NEEDS TO GET PAID SOMETIMES!!!! Imagine being Paul. And every time someone suggests Paul might need some help. or maybe a pay rise, or he's doing the work of 3 men and he can't be expected to labour under these conditions etc etc. But everyone keeps saying you can't rob Peter to pay Paul. And there's Peter, dripping in jewellery, driving the latest Lamborghini chariot, with a roving retinue of staff giving him foot baths and back rubs, and anointing him with precious oils, and having self affirmation sessions...... And Paul keeps being told..........well, we can't rob Peter to pay Paul.

I'm gonna flip that saying. Here's the new version.

"You can't keep starving Paul to pay Peter"

Could we please pay Paul. He needs some help right now

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but Paul is just a bludger who spends all his money on ciggies and booze........hang on, I thought for a moment I was trolling the Sky News Facebook page comments section for kicks.

We don't know if Bruce can actually play in defence. What we do know is he takes a tall up forward and if left alone becomes a threat. He's been playing OK in a potent forward line that still is only seven weeks old in a very long season. I'm not sure there's value in moving him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.