Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  200
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to pull the Liam Jones move.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Whilst what you say is true, Lynch kicked 3.5 and took 12 marks. He could have done far more damage on the scoreboard. His marking presence also meant we had extra guys go up for the spoil leaving their smalls to crumb the free ground ball. The lack of a quality KPD certainly wasn't the only reason we lost. Our mids were dominated in the 3rd. But maybe a better KPD option than Cordy could have at least limited the damage somewhat to allow our mids to get back on top.
    As much as it pains me to say it Lynch destroyed us. Every time the high ball went in I clenched my butt waiting for Lynch to get hold of it. It was that bad for us. He could (should have kicked 6), and his presence down there gave their mids so much confidence and desire to win the ball and pump it long. It was too easy. Playing an opposition key forward into form is our speciality but we do ourselves no favours playing a guy 9cm shorter and 15kg lighter against him.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    As much as it pains me to say it Lynch destroyed us. Every time the high ball went in I clenched my butt waiting for Lynch to get hold of it. It was that bad for us. He could (should have kicked 6), and his presence down there gave their mids so much confidence and desire to win the ball and pump it long. It was too easy. Playing an opposition key forward into form is our speciality but we do ourselves no favours playing a guy 9cm shorter and 15kg lighter against him.
    Not to mention slower as well. Zaine needed a scooter to have any chance of keeping up.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who's tall and remotely competent with basic skills is bound to have a good day against us. The stress will repeat this week with McKay and we'll no doubt play Casboult into some form.

Incidentally, this is exactly what Melbourne did well against the Tigers the week before. Admittedly, it helped being wet and the tigers' pressure was certainly not to the same level as it was against us, but the Dees setup so well in defence that anything coming in was picked off straight away. There were no chances for their smalls to do anything.

4. Likes 1eyedog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As I said that is not where we lost the game. Their smalls kicked 7 of 11 goals.

We lost it out of the centre in the 3rd and we were under siege. You can move all those players around, but the way the ball was coming in, any team would have lost. We had to stop guys like Houli, Bolton pumping the ball inside 50.

Our other issue was we were too slow moving the ball from the backline.
    I completely agree. We lost the third quarter with clearances and speed - speed by foot and speed of ball movement. We really missed Van Der Meer and McNeil this week providing defensive pressure across half forward and along our defensive web. Hannan was picked too soon and his body and speed weren't where they should be. I'm hoping he's better for the run.

West, whilst always looking busy, is not quick and he is ill-disciplined. He should immediately be back at the VFL until he can learn to concentrate for the full four quarters. He should watch Scott who is half the footballer West is, but keeps his head in the game and follows the team rules to the letter.

Of course we lack another tall defender. Gardner overtook Cordy and Young because he has better size and strength to physically compete with the bigger opposition forwards. We truly miss him. Young is the only other one on the list as a defender of Gardner's size (apart from moving forwards back) and he clearly isn't doing what has been asked of him in a team sense, and that is why he is playing VFL. Cordy will always be undersized and have others better skilled, but he will do his best to follow the team rules.

Amidst all the talk of Dunkley, I felt the player we missed most this week was Tim English. The Tigers really struggle to stop forwards with extreme height (Mason Cox, come on down) and he could've clunked a couple where instead we expected Schack to take those pack marks (which he never has). Also Tim could have wandered down back in the third quarter to block their run and long kicks, whilst Stef stuck with Nankervis.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

6. Likes Mofra, bulldogtragic, bornadog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm waiting for Bevo to give him his coach's votes.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who's tall and remotely competent with basic skills is bound to have a good day against us. The stress will repeat this week with McKay and we'll no doubt play Casboult into some form.

Incidentally, this is exactly what Melbourne did well against the Tigers the week before. Admittedly, it helped being wet and the tigers' pressure was certainly not to the same level as it was against us, but the Dees setup so well in defence that anything coming in was picked off straight away. There were no chances for their smalls to do anything.
    Having May, Lever and an improving Tomlinson helped too!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Their defence is the anti-Bulldogs. More height than you can poke a stick at, and that’s without considering Gawn who also floats back there to stand in the hole.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh to have that backline.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Their defence is the anti-Bulldogs. More height than you can poke a stick at, and that’s without considering Gawn who also floats back there to stand in the hole.
    Tomlinson is gone for the year with an ACL, unfortunately for him and the Demons. They now have to decide whether to move McDonald back or bring in someone else.

Lever and May were excellent against us in the pre-season game, but we smashed them everywhere else so it didn't really matter. In a few weeks when we face them I doubt our midfield will get things on their own terms quite so easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Tomlinson is gone for the year with an ACL, unfortunately for him and the Demons. They now have to decide whether to move McDonald back or bring in someone else.

Lever and May were excellent against us in the pre-season game, but we smashed them everywhere else so it didn't really matter. In a few weeks when we face them I doubt our midfield will get things on their own terms quite so easily.
    I’d say McDonald will go back and they’ll use Brown now.

I agree re: lever and May. Both were great, and that was on the back of our brilliant midfield on the day. Demons will be a lot stronger, but when we get the chance to go fwd, if we bomb it, lever and May will once again have great games.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I’d say McDonald will go back and they’ll use Brown now.

I agree re: lever and May. Both were great, and that was on the back of our brilliant midfield on the day. Demons will be a lot stronger, but when we get the chance to go fwd, if we bomb it, lever and May will once again have great games.
    Brown was already in on the weekend. Weideman would be the likely candidate to return to the forward line if McDonald goes back.

14. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree. And the opposite is also true. Any tall and remotely competent defender we can trundle out will at least relieve some of the stress.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s happening, Morpheus is fighting Neo. Catch that replay, Schache is playing CHB and really well so far.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It’s happening, Morpheus is fighting Neo. Catch that replay, Schache is playing CHB and really well so far.
    Legit?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Fact