Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
    Post Thanks / Like

The Positive Thread

I had this thread going a while ago. It is what it says it is.

Loses can burn, and can re-focus a group. I hope so.
    This was intense finals like experience. That’s great for younger guys. Especially for the coaches to show all the guys, especially seniors guys, the panicked kicking and breakdown of our system in the third to hopefully make sure it doesn’t happen again or how to try to change momentum.
    We realise how important English is. So we need to make sure there’s a replacement for Martin, trade, in addition to Sweet.
    We need a KPD, so if there was doubt, Sam Power now has none.
    There’s an opportunity to trial Schache back now. We should take it.
    Scott has some building blocks. Runs hard, tackles well tonight. No superstar, but I think he’s a good upgrade on Hayes.
    Lipinski should be told a spot in the 22 is almost guaranteed. We should not be yoyoing him. He’s good, will get better and should be offered a decent contract extension.
    The JJ experiment is over. He find a use for him or select a forward. We tried it, and it was worth a shot.
    The defensive unit with Keath, great users in Daniel & Dale with Williams, Wood, Crozier & Duryea is solid. Just need a really solid KPD that the MC will select.
    Hunter is winning me over with the one question I’ve always had. His careless use of the footy. He’s now at almost a surgeon level in finding inside 50’s under pressure. If he can start nailing more set shots he will have fulfilled his potential.
    We get a chance to look at Bruce’s drop of form tonight, or running under the form as it may be. If it’s ruckung that disrupts his game, then we shouldn’t ruck him if possible.
    Naughton got his mojo back with set shots, except the last when his eyes kept darting to the scoreboard clock. He’s clearly worked on it, good on him for doing the work.
    Libba is a gun. But we all knew that. Our mids are, albeit quieter nights. I hope Bonts has 100 shots at training for the same spot.
    Hannan needed the run at the top level and that’s what he got.
    We put on another decent game for Ch7, so we are giving them every reason to keep us in prime time.
    We’ve had six new players pull on the jumper so far.
    In the next week/month or so, we are hoping to get back English, Richards, VDM, Williams, McLean & Gardner. Our depth was tested a bit tonight, but all things being equal, we are about to re-stock our depth with some very serious talent.

We are temporarily still top of the ladder, 6-1 and 157%. Our best start since 1946.

Would’ve preferred a good win. That said, there’s some definite positives to take away and some insights to our players and where we are playing them. Plus I expect to see the team next week make a strong statement.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Positive Thread

Thanks BT … I wish I could say you were wrong about JJ, but I can’t. He can’t play forward, and he can’t find a spot in the backline. Particularly when you add Williams., Gardiner, and Khamis to the conversation.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Thanks BT … I wish I could say you were wrong about JJ, but I can’t. He can’t play forward, and he can’t find a spot in the backline. Particularly when you add Williams., Gardiner, and Khamis to the conversation.
    I don’t mind us trying it. But we can’t refuse to accept situation now. We try him on the wing or drop him to the VFL until his form as a back flanker demand promotion. So it’s a positive we’ve had this month to try it and like with Wood, now change course. Unfortunately JJ is a square peg and we have lots of better square pegs, and trying to force him into a round hole hasn’t worked. The worst thing for club, team, player and performance is to not acknowledge things. So we make a positive change ricky tick.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I don't think this is meeting the positivity brief haha.

There's still plenty to smile about. We will likely finish the season in the 4-6 teams, and if all goes well we will be injecting Dunkley, Williams, English, Gardner, VDM, ?Ed Richards, ?Toby Mclean into this side. We just need to keep beating the teams that we are better than, and hopefully sneak a few wins against the teams that are at our level.

5. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That bit where Bailey Dale did that audacious kick from the back pocket to Bailey Smith(???) at Chb and we pinged it up the other end for a goal? Man that was so nice to watch. Very positive.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

7. Thanks jazzadogs thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about when Naughton kicked 3 straight from set shots and didn't look like missing any of them. Very positive.

9. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked the bit where Hunter managed to keep the ball in and from the resultant chaos got it back and hit up a leading player in the pocket. Fairly positive.

11. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I liked the bit where Hunter managed to keep the ball in and from the resultant chaos got it back and hit up a leading player in the pocket. Fairly positive.
    The things you've highlighted are precisely what is germain. Our system didn't fail. That stood up. Some of our players failed the system.

This is a painful loss, at the right time of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually quite liked Bruce getting stuck in to Grimes. He'd already flopped three times, and just generally gives me the sh!ts, so I had no issue with it. Nice to see someone standing up for something at that point of the game.

Post Thanks / Like

The positive thing to come out of tonight’s result was that for the first time this year we were exposed to a stronger more mature, experienced team which not only exposed our weaknesses but enables us to reassess our current lineup
    I could see at least 6 changes to the team by bringing in the following when fit to play.
    English Dunkley Williams Sweet Lew Young and Vandemeer. On tonight’s performance against spirited opposition we had at least 6 players who were sadly exposed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I actually quite liked Bruce getting stuck in to Grimes. He'd already flopped three times, and just generally gives me the sh!ts, so I had no issue with it. Nice to see someone standing up for something at that point of the game.
    That was good. I both like that Bruce is so happy to get into opponents and also hate it because I'm not sure he is good enough to do it and not just be a dickhead. Grimes though is a pro shit stirrer and frequent diver so anybody getting into him is fine by me. How the hell did he get away with that deliberate? Absolutely blatant.

16. Likes DOG GOD, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    That was good. I both like that Bruce is so happy to get into opponents and also hate it because I'm not sure he is good enough to do it and not just be a dickhead. Grimes though is a pro shit stirrer and frequent diver so anybody getting into him is fine by me. How the hell did he get away with that deliberate? Absolutely blatant.
    That got me good.

Daniel appears to be back. That's good!
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -