Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  42
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R12 2021

Dees are a clear level above everyone else. Their game plan is very September friendly.

I get the 'peaking early' narrative but teams have won multiple games on the bounce before - Carlton won 16 in a row in 1995, Brisbane won a similar amount in 2001. No reason why Melbourne can't do the same.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Williams has made a big difference to the coaching of the team. He has been a good get.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Sedat, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to say it... Melbourne are now verifiably good??
    If they avoid injuries they look a lock for minor premiership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think Williams has made a big difference to the coaching of the team. He has been a good get.
    His personality idiosyncrasies have hobbled his chances of senior coach jobs, but he is a great addition to a coaching group. He's the type we should be looking to add to our coaching group. Dare I say it, maybe Gary Ayres??

7. Likes EasternWest, MrMahatma, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne has a gear no one else has, they are also great to watch.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Just deadly on the turnover. Whenever Brisbane coughed it up in the second half, Melbourne had a tsunami of players running forward on the overlap. Felt like they scored at will.

They’re going to take some beating, no real weaknesses to exploit at all.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Melbourne are better than us. They are obviously good and deserve to be at the top. But I think we can take them.

I actually think our best is better than theirs. But we need a few things to go our way in terms of personnel and strategy.

Melbourne are almost at full strength. Only Viney & perhaps Tomlinson are out of their best 22 that beat us.

When we add Martin, Wood, Treloar, Dunkley & perhaps Gardner, Scott & Vandermeer to the team that lost to them it's a different ball game. Our midfield is back to its formidable best with these inclusions and will be much harder for them to neutralise. Martin will be a much tougher opponent for Gawn & with Dunks coming in Libba gets better support and I doubt Oliver will be free to run amok as much as he did last time.

We also have a wildcard we haven't used yet. Jamarra.

It would be a great match. We win by 20
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Not 100 percent sold no one else has that gear. I think the Lions really did play poorly (I get the demons were part of that).
    Their form was a little misleading as they hadn't left Qld since rd 6.
    I don't think it's a one horse race. No Oliver in the first half and they looked pretty average. Bit of a clue there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Not 100 percent sold no one else has that gear. I think the Lions really did play poorly (I get the demons were part of that).
    Their form was a little misleading as they hadn't left Qld since rd 6.
    I don't think it's a one horse race. No Oliver in the first half and they looked pretty average. Bit of a clue there.
    I really hope we can get some game time into Toby McLean over the next 4-6 weeks and unleash him back into that defensive mid role he was finding his groove in last year. I can see him giving Oliver a hard time.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I don't think Melbourne are better than us. They are obviously good and deserve to be at the top. But I think we can take them.

I actually think our best is better than theirs. But we need a few things to go our way in terms of personnel and strategy.

Melbourne are almost at full strength. Only Viney & perhaps Tomlinson are out of their best 22 that beat us.

When we add Martin, Wood, Treloar, Dunkley & perhaps Gardner, Scott & Vandermeer to the team that lost to them it's a different ball game. Our midfield is back to its formidable best with these inclusions and will be much harder for them to neutralise. Martin will be a much tougher opponent for Gawn & with Dunks coming in Libba gets better support and I doubt Oliver will be free to run amok as much as he did last time.

McLean and Richards too who we can’t discount. Both not locks to return but keep the pressure on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    McLean and Richards too who we can’t discount. Both not locks to return but keep the pressure on.
    If fit they'll definitely be considered providing they don't take too long to find their groove.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Just deadly on the turnover. Whenever Brisbane coughed it up in the second half, Melbourne had a tsunami of players running forward on the overlap. Felt like they scored at will.

They’re going to take some beating, no real weaknesses to exploit at all.
    They seemed to have been running much more clearly over the top of the ground while Brisbane seemed to be labouring so much.
    I'm hoping it's unsustainable.......but I'm not confident it is.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

As meantioned Mclean and Richards can be added to that lost and getting those depth players back and having the luxury to pick whoever has form or whoever fits the team best that week based on the opposition could give us a nice boost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    They seemed to have been running much more clearly over the top of the ground while Brisbane seemed to be labouring so much.
    I'm hoping it's unsustainable.......but I'm not confident it is.
    I think Brisbane are not as good as we all thought they may be, especially away from home.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think Brisbane are not as good as we all thought they may be, especially away from home.
    Bit of Port Adelaide about them?