Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  183
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Melbourne R11 2021

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Does Wallis come in as a midfielder?

Favour: History of tagging well, threat resting forward, hardened leader, been playing as a mid in the VFL
    Against: Not quick, a while since he’s done it consistently, he/Bruce/Naughton/English/Hannan is not ideal

Lipinski has been shaky and Garcia is unknown at the level.
    I'd honestly prefer Garcia to Wallis through the middle.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

How do we stop Lever and May from running riot? Obviously a lot has changed since, but they did a number on Bruce and Naughton (before he copped that arm injury) in the pre-season game - how do we think the match ups will look?

I reckon May goes to Naughton, Petty goes to Bruce and Lever tries his hardest to just sag off the likes of Hannan. English coming back in becomes very important in that case.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    How do we stop Lever and May from running riot? Obviously a lot has changed since, but they did a number on Bruce and Naughton (before he copped that arm injury) in the pre-season game - how do we think the match ups will look?

I reckon May goes to Naughton, Petty goes to Bruce and Lever tries his hardest to just sag off the likes of Hannan. English coming back in becomes very important in that case.
    Pretty much what I said in the match committee thread yesterday.

If English doesn't come in, we need Young to play as ruck coverage.

We need to play through Bruce and Lever's opponent, especially Lever as he will be concentrating on Naughton more than Weightman or Hannan.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Pretty much what I said in the match committee thread yesterday.

If English doesn't come in, we need Young to play as ruck coverage.

We need to play through Bruce and Lever's opponent, especially Lever as he will be concentrating on Naughton more than Weightman or Hannan.
    Yep agreed. It has to be Hannan for mine, he’s got the size to compete one on one with Lever and is pretty good in the air.

Nicks said post-game that they really drilled in keeping their eyes lowered and looking for shallower entries when going inside 50 to try and play Melbourne’s structure to their advantage. I posted elsewhere that Melbourne look to go one short at stoppages to keep their defensive structure how they like it, and if we can keep our discipline like Adelaide did then with our stronger midfield we could really cut them up.

Of course this is all significantly easier said than done.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I'd honestly prefer Garcia to Wallis through the middle.
    From what I've seen of Garcia I have to agree. He has the leg speed to spread and would get into position as a defensive mid quickly. He'd be my first choice.

I don't think we can have Libba and Wally in the same midfield.

Treloar started forward / wing so it's probably someone that fits that role like a Lipinski or West?

Dare I mention the guy whose dad is good with the nags?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    From what I've seen of Garcia I have to agree. He has the leg speed to spread and would get into position as a defensive mid quickly.

I don't think we can have Libba and Wally in the same midfield.

Treloar started forward / wing so it's probably someone that fits that role like a Lipinski or West?

Dare I mention the guy whose dad is good with the nags?
    Garcia or Lipinski are much more preferable to Wally, and I've gone off West quite a bit.

He just doesn't have the physical tools/talent his brain thinks he has at this point and it wouldn't be fair on him to expect him to come in and perform at a high level against the Demons after what he served up against the Tigers.

Post Thanks / Like

Garcia or Lipinski are much more preferable to Wally, and I've gone off West quite a bit.

He just doesn't have the physical tools/talent his brain thinks he has at this point and it wouldn't be fair on him to expect him to come in and perform at a high level against the Demons after what he served up against the Tigers.
    His dad at least fired up JJ.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    His dad at least fired up JJ.
    Yep, since that rant JJ has been fantastic and Cody was given the opportunity to play the same role Rhylee had a crack at and couldn't have grasped it even better.

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance Bevo does a Bevo and gives Jammara a game for indigenous round?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Prior to the concussion I would've said yes....

And I'm still saying it ! Perfect wing half forward replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I was thinking of that earlier today, but not for that reason. I think he’s a great match up for Lever. Jamarra has the height, jump/leap, pressure/tackling is quicker (would be our quickest forward in a quick forward line) and will make Lever think twice about leaving him. We don’t need a gorilla to stop Lever, we need a very tall, very athletic player that loves to hurt opponents and has the speed and the leap to to the defending and offer a very threatening forward option that needs to be manned up. It’s left field, but it’s also a good game for him with a clear instruction to destroy Lever with your unique traits and when you have the chance try to hit the scoreboard.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes bornadog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of that earlier today, but not for that reason. I think he’s a great match up for Lever. Jamarra has the height, jump/leap, pressure/tackling is quicker (would be our quickest forward in a quick forward line) and will make Lever think twice about leaving him. We don’t need a gorilla to stop Lever, we need a very tall, very athletic player that loves to hurt opponents and has the speed and the leap to to the defending and offer a very threatening forward option that needs to be manned up. It’s left field, but it’s also a good game for him with a clear instruction to destroy Lever with your unique traits and when you have the chance try to hit the scoreboard.
    We live in insanely exciting times at the Dogs. Top of the table with the #1 pick with all those traits you've described waiting in the wings.

Post Thanks / Like

Marra would get taken to the cleaners by Lever

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Marra would get taken to the cleaners by Lever
    Yeah, it would be a massacre. Would be a bloody good learning experience for the kid though.

Marra just isn't anywhere near VFL standard conditioning, let alone AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

If one of them gets an injury (nothing serious, but they’re out for rest of the game) then the other 3 need to attend every centre bounce every time. Plus giving them a breather, I think we are short unless Daniel is going back to the middle.
    Well that would make us shorter in the middle.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

18. Likes bulldogtragic, Happy Days liked this post