Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  48
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Balance Of Power

Port can not be allowed to wear that jumper at all. This is why you don't bring in existing clubs.
    In a competition this small, brand is everything and let's face it this is as much about money through agitating and sating the fan base as it is about heritage.

How is it relevant to playing a team that never played in the SANFL?

If it was Central Districts would we be ok with them wearing the Red, White and Blue? Bulldogs monikers everywhere for two games a year? Maybe three next time they crack it?

Where's the line?

They can celebrate their heritage in other ways I think, totally with the Pies on this one.

They are the Magpies in the AFL. (But it's good to see them get upset!)

Personally I reckon that jumper is pretty rank too, the oddly embraced prison bar get up.

2. Likes MrMahatma, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's like yeah we're keen on entering the AFL as Port Power, yep, teal, all good to we don't like the name Power so we're dropping it and we're just calling ourselves Port Adelaide and now we want to start wearing our Port Adelaide magpies jumper, and we're going to start putting little magpies everywhere.

It's like Germany conceding that Poland is their last concession.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Port can not be allowed to wear that jumper at all. This is why you don't bring in existing clubs.
    In a competition this small, brand is everything and let's face it this is as much about money through agitating and sating the fan base as it is about heritage.

If it was Central Districts would we be ok with them wearing the Red, White and Blue? Bulldogs monikers everywhere for two games a year? Maybe three next time they crack it?

Where's the line?

They can celebrate their heritage in other ways I think, totally with the Pies on this one.

Personally I reckon that jumper is pretty rank too, the oddly embraced prison bar get up.
    I am totally opposed to this point of view.

Collingwood get such a leg up with the fixturing that supports their "BRAND"

The only consideration on match day jumpers should be the the opposing team to ensure there is no clash and also compliant to community standards.

I would have no objection to another team wearing our colours as long as it doesn't clash with the strip we wear against them.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It's like yeah we're keen on entering the AFL as Port Power, yep, teal, all good to we don't like the name Power so we're dropping it and we're just calling ourselves Port Adelaide and now we want to start wearing our Port Adelaide magpies jumper, and we're going to start putting little magpies everywhere.

It's like Germany conceding that Poland is their last concession.
    Ja, Ja we just want the Sudetenland, ve shall leave the rest alone!

Nek minnit.

Imagine a showdown GF if they don't draw the line here.

They really don't like the teal do they

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I am totally opposed to this point of view.

Collingwood get such a leg up with the fixturing that supports their "BRAND"

The only consideration on match day jumpers should be the the opposing team to ensure there is no clash and also compliant to community standards.

I would have no objection to another team wearing our colours as long as it doesn't clash with the strip we wear against them.
    It's quite a polarising debate, taken your points.

If say it was another Bulldogs team, would you be ok with them wearing it in the GF if it happened to meet the agreed criteria?
    RW&B in the GF etc, locally would be Dogs in the GF in news, I can imagine cheeky headlines using the Dogs moniker.
    Hmm I can't abide by that.
    Too many grey areas, it makes management too difficult. You need to draw the line somewhere.
    Regarding the Pies getting a leg up in other areas, totally valid but not sure it's relevant to this debate.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 08-05-2021 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Ive got no idea what I'm saying most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure we should be too concerned about Collingwood's part in this discussion given they refuse to wear a clash jumper against North or anyone else. Essentially this is a one off request each year and not against Collingwood.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not sure we should be too concerned about Collingwood's part in this discussion given they refuse to wear a clash jumper against North or anyone else. Essentially this is a one off request each year and not against Collingwood.
    Agree with that, they definitely should be forced to wear a clash strip.

This isn't about clash strips this is a bigger issue of brand I guess, and it's time to put it to bed I believe.

Collingwood being the aggrieved party does make it harder to be objective as it's easy to drag in other elements with them. But in terms of brand, theirs is the Magpies and they exclusively wear Black and White.

If I think about this from a higher level, and consider the same situation with maybe a team that doesn't have the power of the Pies like North, the Dogs or Saints for eg. I would want the brand to be protected by the AFL.

I think that's the core of the debate, the use of an exclusive brand by a competitor for gain.

There are many ways to celebrate your heritage, and they have every reason to want to do that; they've got a rich and amazing story.
    I just think using another teams exclusive AFL brand isn't the right one.

Never thought I'd actually care about this, but if I think about a team wanting to do the same to us it clarifies the debate for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with that, they definitely should be forced to wear a clash strip.

This isn't about clash strips this is a bigger issue of brand I guess, and it's time to put it to bed I believe.

Collingwood being the aggrieved party does make it harder to be objective as it's easy to drag in other elements with them. But in terms of brand, theirs is the Magpies and they exclusively wear Black and White.

If I think about this from a higher level, and consider the same situation with maybe a team that doesn't have the power of the Pies like North, the Dogs or Saints for eg. I would want the brand to be protected by the AFL.

I think that's the core of the debate, the use of an exclusive brand by a competitor for gain.

There are many ways to celebrate your heritage, and they have every reason to want to do that; they've got a rich and amazing story.
    I just think using another teams exclusive AFL brand isn't the right one.

Never thought I'd actually care about this, but if I think about a team wanting to do the same to us it clarifies the debate for me.
    It is about much more than brand. As per the thread title, I think this is an extension of the power imbalance that exists within the league and the power some clubs have over the league (manifesting in things like refusing to wear a clash strip). We had a concrete example of when another team came in and wore another team’s colours EVERY week, but because that team had no power it was allowed to happen.

I keep hearing of examples where a few people chose their club based on the colours, which does happen. But what really pulls in supporters? If kids haven’t ‘inherited’ their team from family, who do you think they are going to be drawn to?

It goes like this:

1) Exposure
    2) Success
    89) Somebodies favourite colours

Edit: Just like when Collingwood played clever with a ‘white guernsey with black stripes’ instead of a ‘black guernsey with white stripes) I hope that Port run out with the prison bars with a 1mm teal edge on the stripes (that are invisible on tv).

10. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    It is about much more than brand. As per the thread title, I think this is an extension of the power imbalance that exists within the league and the power some clubs have over the league (manifesting in things like refusing to wear a clash strip). We had a concrete example of when another team came in and wore another team’s colours EVERY week, but because that team had no power it was allowed to happen.

I keep hearing of examples where a few people chose their club based on the colours, which does happen. But what really pulls in supporters? If kids haven’t ‘inherited’ their team from family, who do you think they are going to be drawn to?

It goes like this:

1) Exposure
    2) Success
    89) Somebodies favourite colours

Edit: Just like when Collingwood played clever with a ‘white guernsey with black stripes’ instead of a ‘black guernsey with white stripes) I hope that Port run out with the prison bars with a 1mm teal edge on the stripes (that are invisible on tv).
    That would be good to see Eddie's head explode alone

I actually quite like the teal.

I think colours are important. I've known some English fans who chose the Red, White and Blue. Maybe rank it 35 ;^)

As for the power imbalance, hmm not so sure it's contrived or manipulated.
    The fact is the Pies are a juggernaut and one of the most iconic and powerful sporting teams in Australia. It's just the reality of the situation.
    Should they have more sway, probably not, but I'm not surprised they do. You don't want to annoy one of your biggest stakeholders it makes business sense in a capitalist system.
    Maybe the big boys setting a precedent in this case isnt such a bad thing either?

Seems like it's hit quite a nerve in SA which I understand with the emotion of history.
    But they just can't wear it, they're the Power.
    Black, white, teal.

Post Thanks / Like

Where's the line?

As an aside Footscray VFL club (us)... gave Central Districts their first set of jumpers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    As an aside Footscray VFL club (us)... gave Central Districts their first set of jumpers.
    Really wow that's super interesting. Love to know the story
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 08-05-2021 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Can't English.

Post Thanks / Like

Really wow that's super interesting. Love the know the story
    That is as much as I can tell you Granty. Maybe others know more.

15. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where's the line?

I'd be OK with Centrals wearing the jumper twice per year against the Crows and Port as our point of difference is we will be the Bulldogs.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I can put this debate to bed once and for all.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words; I've never believed that until now.

A young David Koch wearing.. Cricket stumps?

Edit : Fixed with TACs design upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

Let them wear it once a year for the Showdown and be done with it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.