Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  48
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Balance Of Power

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It's quite a polarising debate, taken your points.

If say it was another Bulldogs team, would you be ok with them wearing it in the GF if it happened to meet the agreed criteria?
    RW&B in the GF etc, locally would be Dogs in the GF in news, I can imagine cheeky headlines using the Dogs moniker.
    Hmm I can't abide by that.
    Too many grey areas, it makes management too difficult. You need to draw the line somewhere.
    Regarding the Pies getting a leg up in other areas, totally valid but not sure it's relevant to this debate.
    I would be ok with another team wearing Bulldogs gear in a GF.

Personally feel that my connection is to the history of the club I support.
    If something occurred that led to a change of name (like Footscray becoming Western Bulldogs), it doesn't impact that connection, because the history is intact.

My view may be different than others because I am not from Victoria and I have no geographical link to the team.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

2. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    That is as much as I can tell you Granty. Maybe others know more.
    Evidently there is a large English expat population around the area that Central Districts are based (Gawler) and as such they love the colours. In 1959 the Footscray committee were invited to an inaugural dinner that Centrals held to celebrate them being included in the SANFL and we donated 30 jumpers and 30 pairs of footy socks as a goodwill gesture.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

4. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Evidently there is a large English expat population around the area that Central Districts are based (Gawler) and as such they love the colours. In 1959 the Footscray committee were invited to an inaugural dinner that Centrals held to celebrate them being included in the SANFL and we donated 30 jumpers and 30 pairs of footy socks as a goodwill gesture.
    Thanks TD that's a brilliant story. Yes I know a few Poms (married to one) who love the colours.

6. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's funny TAC, I never once put together or connected Adelaide's colours being the same or similar to Fitzroy's. Did Fitzroy complain at the time they entered the league?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

The good thing for us is:

1. Our colours are the best
    2. No one else has the same colours
    3. Our jumper design (particularly the 2015/16 version) is the best. We don’t share it with anyone else unlike the vertical stripe/sash crew.
    4. We have a good tie to our heritage while still being a progressive team who plays attractive footy.

From a brand perspective, we’re in good shape!

9. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I can put this debate to bed once and for all.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words; I've never believed that until now.

A young David Koch wearing.. Cricket stumps?

Edit : Fixed with TACs design upgrade.

Where is Rocket Science when you need him
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Where is Rocket Science when you need him
    Ha what are you saying, that’s some elite image manipulation!

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's funny TAC, I never once put together or connected Adelaide's colours being the same or similar to Fitzroy's. Did Fitzroy complain at the time they entered the league?
    I was pretty young so I wouldn’t remember, but I would be surprised if they didn’t and even more surprised if anyone took them seriously. But, again, it sure as hell wouldn’t have happened if it was a “big” clubs colours they chose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I was pretty young so I wouldn’t remember, but I would be surprised if they didn’t and even more surprised if anyone took them seriously. But, again, it sure as hell wouldn’t have happened if it was a “big” clubs colours they chose.
    If in Adelaide you'd have not gotten any unbiased news anyway.

16. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adelaide and Fitzroy's jumper were nothing alike.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be good to see Eddie's head explode alone

I actually quite like the teal.

I think colours are important. I've known some English fans who chose the Red, White and Blue. Maybe rank it 35 ;^)

As for the power imbalance, hmm not so sure it's contrived or manipulated.
    The fact is the Pies are a juggernaut and one of the most iconic and powerful sporting teams in Australia. It's just the reality of the situation.
    Should they have more sway, probably not, but I'm not surprised they do. You don't want to annoy one of your biggest stakeholders it makes business sense in a capitalist system.
    Maybe the big boys setting a precedent in this case isnt such a bad thing either?

Seems like it's hit quite a nerve in SA which I understand with the emotion of history.
    But they just can't wear it, they're the Power.
    Black, white, teal.
    I don’t think they are ever intending to drop the teal, that was never on the cards. They just want to give a nod to their heritage once or twice a year.

But I don’t think “the big boys setting precedent” is something that is beneficial for anyone aside the “big boys”. It is not something we should welcome or support. If the call were to be made either way it should be from a pure head office position, with no interference or pressure from other clubs.

The AFL shouldn’t be worried about annoying their biggest stakeholders, it should be the other way around. If Collingwood were to try to flex their muscle I’d be quickly reminding them of their current ladder position, their likelihood to stay there for some time, and asking them how they feel about 20 Sunday twilight fixtures. Maybe follow with: “We are thinking of retooling Anzac Day…”

The sad reality is the AFL are clearly worried about the big clubs and they are certainly influenced by them. I hold out hope that one day that won’t be the case.

19. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Adelaide and Fitzroy's jumper were nothing alike.
    Neither are Port and Collingwood's really. Essendon and Richmond’s are much closer.

Is it a colour argument or a style argument?

Ps Adelaide should never have been allowed to adopt red, blue and yellow, regardless of the different design.

Post Thanks / Like

Neither are Port and Collingwood's really. Essendon and Richmond’s are much closer.

Ps Adelaide should never have been allowed to adopt red, blue and yellow, regardless of the different design.
    It's colour and style. Black and white stripes.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

There are 2 current issues that the inbreds in the AFEL media are whipping themselves into a lather over that 95% of the population could not care less about. The Port v Pies jumper issue and Jeff Browne potentially joining the Collingwood board. My eyes start to glaze over whenever both issues are discussed.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

23. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a much darker blue for Adelaide, rather than the royal blue Fitzroy wore.