Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  48
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Balance Of Power

This is a little late, but there was quite a heated exchange between Kane Cornes and Eddie McGuire on Footy Classified last week around Port's hope to wear the old Port Magpies jumper in showdowns. It's worth a look for the throbbing veins and hatred in the room.

This is an issue that has been around for years- with Collingwood (not the AFL) seemingly pulling the strings on when Port can and can't wear it. It has dominated headlines over here and I think it speaks to a rusted on culture of big clubs dictating terms.

I am curious to hear people's views on the issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Balance Of Power

Personally, I believe Collingwood need to get over themselves.

What jumper Port Adelaide wear should only matter to Collingwood in games against Collingwood.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

What jumper Port Adelaide wear should only matter to Collingwood in games against Collingwood.
    I don't agree. The jumper represents your club and colours, it is a brand mark and should not be copied by another club.

Port joined the AFL and agreed to give up the jumper they played in, just like when Collingwood joined in 1892 they gave up the RWB because we were RWB.

Port starting wearing the B&W stripes in 1902 and before that they had various jumpers and colours.

For me, they need to get over it as they are in the big league now.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

They only want to wear it in the games against the Crows. I can't see a problem with it.
    We never play Melbourne in both our home jumpers because of the similarities.

Collingwood are way too precious in this instance
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes Bulldog Joe, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    They only want to wear it in the games against the Crows. I can't see a problem with it.
    We never play Melbourne in both our home jumpers because of the similarities.

Collingwood are way too precious in this instance
    So it wouldn't worry you if all of a sudden Colingwood decided for certain games they wore a jumper similar to ours?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Port should be able to wear it. It isn't a direct copy, is good looking and unique, and is a huge part of their identity. Sure if they didn't have nearly 100 years history in wearing it then it'd be a bit on the nose, but they do so who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Port starting wearing the B&W stripes in 1902 and before that they had various jumpers and colours.
    So only for the 95 years before they entered the AFL? I hate the bolded bit because it acts like they only wore the bars for a short period of their history and they could've just picked one of their other jumpers to make a fuss over.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

So it wouldn't worry you if all of a sudden Colingwood decided for certain games they wore a jumper similar to ours?
    That's not really the same though. Choosing to wear a jumper that is similiar to another teams and you made from scratch in 2021 is very different to wanting to wear a jumper you have strong historical ties to for the occasional game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Port should be able to wear it. It isn't a direct copy, is good looking and unique, and is a huge part of their identity. Sure if they didn't have nearly 100 years history in wearing it then it'd be a bit on the nose, but they do so who cares.

So only for the 95 years before they entered the AFL? I hate the bolded bit because it acts like they only wore the bars for a short period of their history and they could've just picked one of their other jumpers to make a fuss over.
    They joined the AFL having agreed to change jumper and now they keep sooking about it every year since they joined.

11. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's not really the same though. Choosing to wear a jumper that is similiar to another teams and you made from scratch in 2021 is very different to wanting to wear a jumper you have strong historical ties to for the occasional game.
    I think BAD is saying Collingwood used to wear our colours before joining the VFL. I wasn’t aware of this.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I think BAD is saying Collingwood used to wear our colours before joining the VFL. I wasn’t aware of this.
    According to footyjumpers.com they've never worn anything except the boring black and white stripes so unsure what Bad is referring to.

And if they felt so strongly about it that's fine, unlike them I am not so insecure as to stop others doing something important to them because I might be slightly/not at all affected.

The jumpers aren't even that similiar.

Post Thanks / Like

According to footyjumpers.com they've never worn anything except the boring black and white stripes so unsure what Bad is referring to.

And if they felt so strongly about it that's fine, unlike them I am not so insecure as to stop others doing something important to them because I might be slightly/not at all affected.

The jumpers aren't even that similiar.
    Pre VFA, Collingwood were RWB. Footyjumpers.com doesn't have those jumpers.

16. Thanks soupman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/the-jumper/

The simple black-and-white striped guernsey has become a part of Collingwood since day one, and has become the most instantly recognisable club symbol of all.

In the period when Collingwood was being formed, early in 1892, it became obvious that the club would need a different uniform from that of Britannia, the club which was the precursor to Collingwood.

Britannia’s colours were blue and white with a scarlet sash and it was considered that those colours too closely resembled those of Footscray, a team that was already in the VFA.

18. Thanks bornadog, soupman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It certainly wouldn't be a concern for me.

It only matters in matches between the sides in question. It has no relevance for a game we are not involved in.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    From https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/the-jumper/

The simple black-and-white striped guernsey has become a part of Collingwood since day one, and has become the most instantly recognisable club symbol of all.

In the period when Collingwood was being formed, early in 1892, it became obvious that the club would need a different uniform from that of Britannia, the club which was the precursor to Collingwood.

Britannia’s colours were blue and white with a scarlet sash and it was considered that those colours too closely resembled those of Footscray, a team that was already in the VFA.
    That is my point, they changed because they didn't want to clash with a team already with those colours. Port played in a different Comp and then joined AFL and agreed to change.

Anyway, I am a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to Club colours, etc, although I had to accept the name change to WB

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't worry me. Loads of teams have very similar colour schemes in US Sports, especially NFL. They just wear a clash guernsey when they come up against each other. I don't think it's a big deal.