Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  48
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Balance Of Power

I'm a bit somewhere in the middle. For one-off games to acknowledge history I don't really think it's an issue. But it shouldn't become a frequent occurrence.

I suppose a similar argument would be if the 19th club to join the AFL hypothetically wore red, white and blue with similar hoops to ours in their previous league. Would we mind if they wore it every game except against us? I wouldn't' like it. I'd be happy for them to wear it once a year. But that'd be about it.

Same colours I don't care. It depends how similar the designs are.

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood are being absolutely precious and ridiculous. No clear-minded person sees an issue with Port Adelaide's request.

Port are unique in the VFL in that they are the only pre-existing club that has joined the AFL and therefore the only one with any history beforehand. For them to wear their historical jumper is absolutely no issue as long as it doesn't clash with the team they are playing on the day.

If we are going to talk about new teams joining an existing competition, let's look at this year's VFL. Where is Collingwood bleating about Southport's black and white strip, or the Hawks complaining about Aspley? Essendon & Coburg? Swans/Gold Coast and Northern Bullants?

The Pies are a bunch of sycophants and the AFL is utterly spineless over this.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

These two probably discussed this exchange politely before the show. It's all scripted or planned I reckon.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I’m with Eddie. The fact that Port have sold b&w jumpers, got magpies on their scarves, and have less and less teal on guernseys is a concern.

This is a brand issue and Collingwood are right, IMO, to fend off any encroachment on their key brand assets - of which the colours b&w are key.

Port need to move on. They made a decision a long time ago and if they regret it now, that’s a shame but it’s done.

6. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I’m with Eddie. The fact that Port have sold b&w jumpers, got magpies on their scarves, and have less and less teal on guernseys is a concern.

This is a brand issue and Collingwood are right, IMO, to fend off any encroachment on their key brand assets - of which the colours b&w are key.

Port need to move on. They made a decision a long time ago and if they regret it now, that’s a shame but it’s done.
    I think I agree. But at the same time I definitely don't care.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

8. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Happy Days, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think I agree. But at the same time I definitely don't care.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that this is being given way too much oxygen on footy shows. I actually had to READ an article this week to find out that Jamarra is a jerk and refuses to give kids autographs in line at CQ or something.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    So it wouldn't worry you if all of a sudden Colingwood decided for certain games they wore a jumper similar to ours?
    Other teams can play skins vs shirts for all I care.

Honestly, this entire conversation is stupid (not this thread, the argument between other clubs).

I think it's a bigger deal that a "professional" league still has clashes when teams play each other.
    "It's over. It's all over."

13. Likes Sedat, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Other teams can play skins vs shirts for all I care.

Honestly, this entire conversation is stupid (not this thread, the argument between other clubs).

I think it's a bigger deal that a "professional" league still has clashes when teams play each other.
    I think this is why I don't care.

So to appease BAD yes, with the way the arrangements were set I think Port have to suck it up or bring something to the table to compromise other than saying we want this we want that. However, at the same time the AFL just needs to become more professional and cut the BS around clash strips and make Colllingwood come up with something more substantial than the difference in prevalence between black and white stripes.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

This is certainly a pretty divisive topic and some balanced points either way.

The jumper topic, for mine, is just a symbol of everything that is wrong with the AFL. It’s why teams like ours are told we need to earn Friday nights and “do more” to deserve Good Friday by an administration that will, in the same breath, gift Carlton (an utterly awful team at the time that couldn’t win a game) seven or so Friday nights.

It’s why two of the worst teams in the land are able to keep the marquee Anzac fixture, despite the new fixturing blocks providing the perfect levers to choose the more worthy Melbourne v Richmond game. Even a match featuring the previous grand finalists would have been more fitting and would have drawn more interest.

Q: Why weren’t the same jumper courtesies that were extended to Collingwood offered to Fitzroy (when Adelaide came in)?

Post Thanks / Like

Brands are important in any business. They contain identity, meaning and emotion. You may not know it, but you buy items and make decisions every day due to completely irrational attributions of value to certain brands. Collingwood are right to defend theirs, and I’d agree that the AFL are equally as wrong to have this conversation getting airtime. They should be wanting 18 different clubs with clearly unique brand attributes (as well as having basic rules for clash strips etc).

Port need to own their identity and not muddy the waters of their brand. It might seem silly, but 100% kids, immigrants, people changing codes... they’ll choose a team to follow based on how that team “feels” to them. Sure, often that’s based on family history, or who’s winning at that time, but I personally know a Collingwood fan who chose the Pies cause he’s from Newcastle in England. What colours do Newcastle wear? B&W. He lives in Brisbane and has all of his teeth!

Anyway, the AFL just need to stamp this out. It’s a bad look and it’s unnecessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Brands are important in any business. They contain identity, meaning and emotion. You may not know it, but you buy items and make decisions every day due to completely irrational attributions of value to certain brands. Collingwood are right to defend theirs, and I’d agree that the AFL are equally as wrong to have this conversation getting airtime. They should be wanting 18 different clubs with clearly unique brand attributes (as well as having basic rules for clash strips etc).

Port need to own their identity and not muddy the waters of their brand. It might seem silly, but 100% kids, immigrants, people changing codes... they’ll choose a team to follow based on how that team “feels” to them. Sure, often that’s based on family history, or who’s winning at that time, but I personally know a Collingwood fan who chose the Pies cause he’s from Newcastle in England. What colours do Newcastle wear? B&W. He lives in Brisbane and has all of his teeth!

Anyway, the AFL just need to stamp this out. It’s a bad look and it’s unnecessary.
    Totally agree with you.

About 15 years ago, I came across a Bulldog supporter, who was a parent of one of my daughters friends. Up until then all Bulldog supporters I had met had some sort of affiliation with the West, or their parents followed the club etc. I asked him how he started following the club and he said as a kid he just loved the colours. The branding makes a big difference.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is the inconsistency and hypocrisy. The problem is that one of the biggest clubs in the land dictated and continues to dictate terms. Just six years before Port were held over a barrel and made to abandon their identity by burying any association with B&W and the SANFL Magpies, Fitzroy’s brand and identity were not considered in the slightest. What if Adelaide had chosen black and white, would that have gone through?

Richmond and Essendon share the same iconic jumper design. So too do North, Hawthorn and Collingwood. There is an argument that jumper design (especially as unique as the sash) could hold as much brand weight as two very different black and white jumper designs.

You want to know what really gives a brand bang for buck? The same thing that draws a lot of players to big clubs- Marquee games. Collingwood’s brand won’t lose anything from one showdown appearance of the prison bars.

This is a national competition and national interests need to be occasionally considered. Locking a GF into the MCG For 600 years might be romantic for example, but it is wrong. Calling the current Eastern states league the VFL doesn’t even bother trying to pretend that the AFL treats all clubs equally.

I want to be clear that I hate Port Adelaide. I grew up tormented by them in the 80’s and 90’s. But in a ‘national competition’ where VFL clubs can count their VFL premierships, Port should be able to acknowledge and celebrate their heritage with what is a key component of their identity. Wearing their very different b&w guernsey for one or two rounds a year is such a minuscule request.

I want to see them win this. Not just for their club, but for all of the clubs that have had to put up with being treated as second class. Clubs like ours.

19. Likes soupman, SquirrelGrip, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Port supporters flipping Eddie and the AFL the bird. I couldn’t attach the image, but it is the SANFL guernsey they have bought up with Port currently unable to offer the AFL variant. The showdown will be a sea of black and white stripes:

PRISON BAR JUMPERS SELLOUT
    Sales of Port’s heritage guernsey have gone nuts at the Port Store at Alberton ahead of tomorrow night’s Showdown.

The club says it has sold out of the lace-up prison-bar guernsey, while 250 of the long sleeve woollen prison bar jumpers have been sold at $250 a pop, netting the club $62,500.

The uptake in traditional merchandise comes after the AFL refused to allow Port to wear the old strip during its state clash with the Crows following objections from Collingwood who also don black and white stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Port supporters flipping Eddie and the AFL the bird. I couldn’t attach the image, but it is the SANFL guernsey they have bought up with Port currently unable to offer the AFL variant. The showdown will be a sea of black and white stripes:

PRISON BAR JUMPERS SELLOUT
    Sales of Port’s heritage guernsey have gone nuts at the Port Store at Alberton ahead of tomorrow night’s Showdown.

The club says it has sold out of the lace-up prison-bar guernsey, while 250 of the long sleeve woollen prison bar jumpers have been sold at $250 a pop, netting the club $62,500.

The uptake in traditional merchandise comes after the AFL refused to allow Port to wear the old strip during its state clash with the Crows following objections from Collingwood who also don black and white stripes.
    All part of Kochie's plan. Should have bumped them up to $350
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

22. Likes bornadog liked this post