Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 8, 2021 vs Carlton

This is the round 8, 2021 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Carlton is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 8, 2021 vs Carlton

B

Bruce - 6.1 according to the goal umpires
    Keath - our best tall defender
    Sam Power - for getting both and keeping the pick used on Weightman

A

Cordy - just not quality for the role he’s being assigned
    Smith - Looks a mile off when I last saw him in 2019
    ARC - Disgusting that in a professional sport they are guessing things when the goal umpire was confident
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Bont- brilliance that lifted the team into action
    Libba - a clearance monster all game
    Caleb - negated Saad, and then in the last was pivotal offensively for us

Anchors
    Bailey Dale's kicking stank for most of the game. He's been wonderful this year, his first disappointing game
    Bailey Smith... first two rounds of the year he had looked to go to another level. He's struggled since then to maintain consistency.
    Hannan - I think he should've had to work longer in the VFL before winning selection. Just not sure what he adds, based on the two games he's played.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Keath- arguably our most important player
    Bruce - clunking them, and then kicking accurately
    Libba - terrific all game, even when the Blues were on top

Anchors

Crozier - has declined this year, NB disposals
    JJ- still can't see why he is the team
    Hannan - see above
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet was poor today. But the kid lifted in the last. Fair play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Sweet was poor today. But the kid lifted in the last. Fair play.
    The way I look at a young ruckman is through the lens of 'has the opposition ruck had a massive influence, or have we at least neutralised the position'. I thought Sweet at least neutralised it, and being the primary ruck for most of the game, it felt like a good performance.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes whythelongface, Mutz, 1eyedog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers -

Wood & Crozier - late in the 3rd they started to impact the game, which turned around the momentum
    Bont - Oh captain my captain
    Keath & Bruce - how we got both, in the same year, without using a first rounder is a mystery

Anchors -
    JJ - labouring. Lesser role players may be better for the team
    Hunter - had a few execution issues he'd like back
    Lipinski - until he can stick a tackle and kill a 50/50 ball he needs to learn how to do it at VFL level
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes Cyberdoggie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bont. He is a Monster, just needs a little support from time to time. How does he not poll more Brownlow votes
    Libba. What a beast. We need him more then anybody
    Keith. Solid and I think he is a simple fullback. Just compete and the repeat

Anchors
    Cordy. I think it’s just time to invest into others that will be around long term.
    JJ. He is just not a forward. It’s play behind the ball or nothing.
    West. For stuffing up last week. We need a lock in forward. It’s West or McClean for mine.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The way I look at a young ruckman is through the lens of 'has the opposition ruck had a massive influence, or have we at least neutralised the position'. I thought Sweet at least neutralised it, and being the primary ruck for most of the game, it felt like a good performance.
    A good learning lesson too. In his debut against North he was rucking the ghost of Brent Harvey. So the test for all was to see how he’d go against an experienced ruckman. Like you say, the best case for him was a nil all draw having half the hit outs and possessions. But I’ll give him that and he registered 5 tackles which is higher than many others on the field. He is also got some good footy IQ with his taps along the ground the our mids. He was also jumped into and man handled all day by a big bloke and looked just fine at the end of the game. He gets better from today, without being a banker or anchor in my mind.

Edit: I just checked. Of the 45 players to play today, only Bonts & Treloar had more tackles than Sweet. Carlton’s two best mids could only equal Sweet’s tackle tally.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 09-05-2021 at 09:37 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    A good learning lesson too. In his debut against North he was rucking the ghost of Brent Harvey. So the test for all was to see how he’d go against an experienced ruckman. Like you say, the best case for him was a nil all draw having half the hit outs and possessions. But I’ll give him that and he registered 5 tackles which is higher than many others on the field. He is also got some good footy IQ with his taps along the ground the our mids. He was also jumped into and man handled all day by a big bloke and looked just fine at the end of the game. He gets better from today, without being a banker or anchor in my mind.
    Yep, Pittonet had no real influence on the game and was really trying to wrestle and out body Sweet all night. He copped it and kept going, even lifting in the last and getting his hands on it a bit.

Plenty to work with and I'm keen to see the Sweet/English combo next week. Don't disappoint us Bevo!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Pittonet had no real influence on the game and was really trying to wrestle and out body Sweet all night. He copped it and kept going, even lifting in the last and getting his hands on it a bit.

Plenty to work with and I'm keen to see the Sweet/English combo next week. Don't disappoint us Bevo!
    Agreed. I was hanging it on Sweet after his first game but he rucked really well today. Solid contribution.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not sure about it as it’s a night game, but I’m not anti it. Those extra tackles and being able to generate a clearance or two a quarter by tapping it out to a mid in advantage (not taking possession and causing another stoppage) are the things I see Bevo looking at more than hit outs or maybe even disposals.

Post Thanks / Like

Banker Khamis: for arriving after a very long road.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

17. Likes merantau, Eastdog, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. The COLLECTIVE effort to get us a fine from behind win.
    2. Caleb Daniel - so clean and creative when we really needed it
    3. The Bont. Very influential when it mattered most.
    4 Josh Bruce - 4 quarter effort was crucial to our win

Anchors
    1. Early misses - Smith, Hannan, JJ, Hunter
    2. Some mysterious umpiring decisions.
    3. Why does the Channel 7 commentary team love Carlton?
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Bruce - kept us in the game by kicking straight
    Bont - with his force of will at the contest he turned the tide of the game our way
    Khamis - nice debut. Will learn a lot and there is something to work with

Anchors:

Kicking for goal - JJ/McNeil/Smith missing gettable goals to hand momentum to Carlton
    The 1st half - just weak
    Hannan - just not enough from a senior player - Wallis would provide more threat and more presure