Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  126
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 9 vs Port Adelaide

All this winning, and how we're responding to it collectively, makes me think we need to reinstate the Yarraville Nets as the meeting place for consensual and reciprocated mouth punching as soon as possible.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading the club medical report I’m not sure we see English this week. Good thing that Lycett is out for Port if we are only going out n with Sweet.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Wallis comes in if English misses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Reading the club medical report I’m not sure we see English this week. Good thing that Lycett is out for Port if we are only going out n with Sweet.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Wallis comes in if English misses.
    Missing 3 matches with concussion would be a concern. I really hope Tim plays. The 3 tall fwds were a real advantage for us early in the year. Can’t underestimate how much impact that’s having on our performance in the past 2 weeks.

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I really wonder about some of the woofers continual "bashing" of some players.

Gardner was the most obvious example, and now Cordy continually finds himself relegated into the automatic "out tray". JJ and Crozier, in spite of their valuable contributions in games, now appear to have joined him.

Constructive criticism is always welcome, however IMHO this is not the vehicle by which personal witch hunts should be pursued.
    I really wonder why we all have to support the team in the same manner?

We all have different personalities which means we are going to express our opinions differently.

As per comments in anther thread I lost my shit when Crozier flew recklessly as a 3rd man up in a contest in the 2nd qtr, he didn't impact the contest and his opponent ran away into an open goal. After enthusiastically voicing my opinion on what I thought of the action a fellow supporter questioned me by saying what was Crozier supposed to do? He thought it was a team orientated action and Crozier did his best to help his team-mate out.

We both had our opinions and voiced them which is what everyone does on WOOF.... with most of it using reasoning (which is vital) as opposed to getting personal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

We all have different personalities which means we are going to express our opinions differently.

As per comments in anther thread I lost my shit when Crozier flew recklessly as a 3rd man up in a contest in the 2nd qtr, he didn't impact the contest and his opponent ran away into an open goal. After enthusiastically voicing my opinion on what I thought of the action a fellow supporter questioned me by saying what was Crozier supposed to do? He thought it was a team orientated action and Crozier did his best to help his team-mate out.

We both had our opinions and voiced them which is what everyone does on WOOF.... with most of it using reasoning (which is vital) as opposed to getting personal.
    Did he tweet about it?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Did he tweet about it?
    No, I wasn't described as being miserable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

I could not agree more. Over the years I’ve passionately supported Jarrad Grant, Tom Boyd and until last week Josh Schache. I did it because the glimpses they showed made me believe in them. I don’t get a virtue trophy or get called out for having ‘love child’s’. The player that seems to have sparked the ‘whipping boy’ is Cordy and I say that’s owing to the match committee. They dropped Young presumably because although he does a lot of good things, he is making mistakes. So his replacement, Cordy, is going to be looked at in the same way. He does much right, but is he making mistakes also. We need to compare Young’s mistakes against Cordy’s mistakes in an assessment of who we think should be selected from week to week. That’s why I think Cordy is under the microscope, not because many on here want to whip him. I just want a little tegridy in the MC process. If Young comes back and fluffs his chances, then I assume there’s a conversation about dropping him too. It’s not personal, it’s strictly business.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes Mantis, The Bulldogs Bite, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I could not agree more. Over the years I’ve passionately supported Jarrad Grant, Tom Boyd and until last week Josh Schache. I did it because the glimpses they showed made me believe in them. I don’t get a virtue trophy or get called out for having ‘love child’s’. The player that seems to have sparked the ‘whipping boy’ is Cordy and I say that’s owing to the match committee. They dropped Young presumably because although he does a lot of good things, he is making mistakes. So his replacement, Cordy, is going to be looked at in the same way. He does much right, but is he making mistakes also. We need to compare Young’s mistakes against Cordy’s mistakes in an assessment of who we think should be selected from week to week. That’s why I think Cordy is under the microscope, not because many on here want to whip him. I just want a little tegridy in the MC process. If Young comes back and fluffs his chances, then I assume there’s a conversation about dropping him too. It’s not personal, it’s strictly business.
    100% this.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanna play Young because Young is better than Cordy. I like Zaine, he’s a little bit psycho and I think he’s performed admirably (if not necessarily well) in a role he shouldn’t really be playing. But if you could point me to the game in the twos where he had 31 and 17 marks, then I’ll more heartily advocate for his spot in the side.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I just wanna play Young because Young is better than Cordy. I like Zaine, he’s a little bit psycho and I think he’s performed admirably (if not necessarily well) in a role he shouldn’t really be playing. But if you could point me to the game in the twos where he had 31 and 17 marks, then I’ll more heartily advocate for his spot in the side.
    Cordy has a lower ceiling but a higher floor that Young. It's a toss of the coin for me.

Watching behind the goal vision of Jones and how he was panned in some of his positioning against the bulldogs, we're not likely to know just how far off their correct positions our KPDs are.
    'Trust' is big in football and right now I don't place a lot of trust in any second KPD option we have. Gardner has a little, Young's bad games are really bad and Cordy still looks slow which is a worry for a guy who is a little undersized.

Having said that, you simply have to reward VFL form so I'd be looking for a way to get Young into the seniors. If we consider Young like we do Schache (not a legitimate KPP) and just let him intercept he could provide value.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Cordy has a lower ceiling but a higher floor that Young. It's a toss of the coin for me.

Watching behind the goal vision of Jones and how he was panned in some of his positioning against the bulldogs, we're not likely to know just how far off their correct positions our KPDs are.
    'Trust' is big in football and right now I don't place a lot of trust in any second KPD option we have. Gardner has a little, Young's bad games are really bad and Cordy still looks slow which is a worry for a guy who is a little undersized.

Having said that, you simply have to reward VFL form so I'd be looking for a way to get Young into the seniors. If we consider Young like we do Schache (not a legitimate KPP) and just let him intercept he could provide value.
    I reckon that vision with Jones was overanalysed. They were 16 points down at that point with a few mins to go and he was guarding space through the corridor to either stop the switch or be part of a surge forward. Have to roll the dice with more aggressive positioning in that sort of scenario and it didn't work out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

I agree with all of this.

As supporters there are many things we do not have a handle on.

With our defenders they need to operate as a unit and support each other. Any deviation breaks down the entire unit. I would suggest that Cordy adhere's to that better than Young.

I also agree with Mantis on the Crozier incident. He basically took everyone, including himself, out of the action except for the Carlton players. It was dumb,
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

17. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon that vision with Jones was overanalysed. They were 16 points down at that point with a few mins to go and he was guarding space through the corridor to either stop the switch or be part of a surge forward. Have to roll the dice with more aggressive positioning in that sort of scenario and it didn't work out.
    The specific vision with Lipinski I agree (as if there wasn’t another non-KPD player responsible for him) and is my general bugbear with the “analysis” you get off On The Couch in particular.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

TBH I'd say covering the short 45 is the responsibility of the midfield group rolling back (or at least a flanker), not your key defender.
    Either way it does show how little we as fans watching the play have a handle on the off the ball movement that coaches emphasise over many other aspects of play.
    It's probably a big reason it's so hard to assess how well HF 'dead zone' players have performed.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The specific vision with Lipinski I agree (as if there wasn’t another non-KPD player responsible for him) and is my general bugbear with the “analysis” you get off On The Couch in particular.
    If the ball tumbled out and Jones started a goal scoring chain, the analysis would be ‘bulldogs players cheated and ran forward of the ball’