Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  31

View Poll Results: Can we beat the Power?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope - It'll be over by half time.

0 0%
  • Nope - We'll keep it close-ish but they're too good.

7 13.73%
  • Yeah...Nah. Within a kick or so but not over there.

7 13.73%
  • Yeah - It'll be tough but the boys will squeak it out.

30 58.82%
  • Yeah - Why are you asking? Second set of 6 coming up!

7 13.73%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We're 7-1. Does anyone think we can beat Port?

So - you aren't allowed to add in any caveats about team selection or player availability (aka no English or Hunter mentions etc)...it is just a simple question.

We are off to Adelaide to play the Power.

Our interstate record (and I haven't looked it up) "feels" like it has been crap in recent times.

Port are awesome and have been so for a solid 12-months or so...

Can we win or not???
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: We're 7-1. Does anyone think we can beat Port?

Yes. Yes we can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Yes. Yes we can.
    You're too fast...I was adding a poll!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

While our record interstate has been below standard, I feel that is more a Perth thing where we never seem to win. (special 2016 performance excepted)

We have performed pretty well against Port over time and were very close last year.

We can win,
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I think we can, we have done it before.

The last two games in Adelaide are one all, with last year's game a loss by 13 points when Port were flying on top of the ladder. We have improved this year to last, but Port is travelling about the same as last year, if not a little worse with two decent losses to date.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We have performed ok v Port at Adelaide Oval in recent times:

2020: a close loss in a tight tussle after a brief lapse (the story of 2020).
    2019: an excellent win
    2018: got smashed
    2016: got up in a thriller (I was there)

Also Port have something like a 50% record coming off the showdown under Hinkley. That combined with all this prison bar hoo-ha may leave them a little flat. Important we get off to a good start.

Post Thanks / Like

As Axe Man, we've no better opportunity than getting them coming off a showdown.
    I have my doubts that we're ready, but there's no doubt that we're capable if we click from the get go.
    In many respects this is a more important challenge than when we played Richmond. This will tell us whether we've yet learned and put into place any learnings from that experience.

Post Thanks / Like

No I don't think we can. Like Richmond Port can bring a sustained level of pressure that will really trouble us. I have been concerned about our consistency since the second half of the Suns game. I think they actually just won that second half.

The GWS game was a great, grinding win but we were troubled at times by a team missing its big stars, they played ALOT of kids that game. The week after as we know got ugly after half time and Carlton had us by the short and curlies midway through the third. They missed a heap of opportunities to really squeeze us and put the game beyond doubt, but they're a developing (lazy) team and couldn't / wouldn't sustain their work rate. Port are a completely different beast. They have their tails up and are playing at home. It's a big ask.

Look, I mean it may rain and turn the game into a jelly wrestle which could give us a sniff but, ultimately, I am just too concerned about our defence (CHB), coupled with the likelihood our much vaunted midfield will go missing again. We'll seriously need to streamline our F50 entries because on Sunday we just kicked it to Weitering too many times. Allir will just gobble that up. We don't have a CHB, we are too inconsistent entering F50 and our midfield has been getting distracted for too many minutes over the past month to give us a realistic chance of winning.

Of course happy to be proven wrong and I have no issue regarding where we are currently placed. It's not all doom and gloom, the games we have won over the past 4 weeks are golden, banking those 4 points is huge in the broader context. I just don't think we can get the chocolates this week. We'll likely drop off for too many minutes and if / when we do Port will be ruthless.

Post Thanks / Like

They have a few good players who will miss but so do we. If we play a solid 4 quarter effort I think we will win by about 3 goals.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the Han Solo's about this one (really bad feeling). We looked so disorganised last week, it was really terrible until our amazing midfield wore down a very average Blues one. We won't be able to get away with it against Port.

Having said that, I'm expecting we worked on some things and we will be ready as we can be.

I'm going option c. Within a kick.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 12-05-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno. On paper absolutely, but Port are pretty good at home, and play a style/have personnel that traditionally gives us problems. Dixon is in horrific form but since when has that really mattered.

I feel like we play Adelaide Oval pretty well though, and will hopefully have the ability to select a more capable defence. Hopefully the week they’ve spent tied up in nefarious bullshit has left them all out of stories to make up to get involved in this game.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be satisfied if we go down but maintain the rage and actually put in a 4QT effort. That will speak volumes in terms of where we're at, what we want to be, how we see ourselves. The competition is so even (14th two games out of the top 4?) and look at the Dees. Struggled against Norf for 3.5QT in Tassie a few weeks ago. It's tight.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we can beat anyone on our day.
    My main concern is the second or third tall forward getting us - we need to win the inside 50 count for us to win.

Against Carlton we actually adjusted our midfield set up after halftime (ignore the "no plan B" talk, it's nonsense) and would often set up with all our midfielders defending the Carlton side of the stoppage at the centre bounce. It was an interesting tactic that won't be as effective against Port.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the stats so far this year (I know, I know, they don't tell the full picture). We lead most of the important stats in the whole competition, except CP (we are 3rd, Port 2nd by one). The interesting ones are Clearances and centre clearances where we are first but Port is way down ie 11th and 8th. Similarly, Stoppage clearances shows Port at 10th to our 4th.

The one stat that we are bad at is Rebound 50s where we are bottom of the league with Port middle of table again. Our movement out of the backline has come right down in the past three matches, especially with Williams out.

Marks inside 50 we are killing the competition with 126 and the next best Dockers 115, and Port 111.

The other stat that is not so hot is intercept marks where we sit 13th and Port 3rd, so we need to make sure we hit our targets.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes The bulldog tragician, Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The one stat that we are bad at is Rebound 50s where we are bottom of the league with Port middle of table again. Our movement out of the backline has come right down in the past three matches, especially with Williams out.
    Without looking up the stats I assume we are close to the top in not allowing opposition inside 50s, therefore it's difficult to rebound from 50 if it doesn't get there.