Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors: Rnd 9, 2021 vs Port Adelaide

This is the round 9, 2021 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Port Adelaide is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors: Rnd 9, 2021 vs Port Adelaide

B

Weightman - Gun
    Sweet - Decent stats, but was better than that
    Libba - When he was near a contest, he won it
    Live ladder - #1 with 146.9% and only nit outright first owing to one bad half of footy

A

Scott - If you only get an opportunity or two a game, you need to nail 25m set shots.
    Croz - Did some really, really dumb things that a senior player shouldn’t be making
    McNeil - Not a real anchor, take the shot son. Look at Cody, get it and pin the ears back or at a minimum hit the target.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 15-05-2021 at 11:10 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    B

Weightman - Gun
    Sweet - Decent stats, but was better than that
    Libba - When he was near a contest, he won it

A

Scott - If you only get an opportunity or two a game, you need to nail 25m set shots.
    Croz - Did some really, really dumb things that a senior player shouldn’t be making
    McNeil - Not a real anchor, take the shot son. Look at Cody, get it and pin the ears back or at a minimum hit the target.

I thought Croz, redeemed himself in the 4th.
    . and Scott and McNeil, yes they deserve a paddling for their errors, but they do a lot of good stuff without the ball that seems to align closely with what is required for the team plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I thought Croz, redeemed himself in the 4th.
    . and Scott and McNeil, yes they deserve a paddling for their errors, but they do a lot of good stuff without the ball that seems to align closely with what is required for the team plan.
    Is it the bankers and bankers thread?

Croz coughed up Goals. Scott needs to do more with Hunter & VDM coming back soon (like converting easy shots) and McNeil isn’t an anchor. I just want him to take the running shot. Nothing too drastic after a good win.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Is it the bankers and bankers thread?

Croz coughed up Goals. Scott needs to do more with Hunter & VDM coming back soon (like converting easy shots) and McNeil isn’t an anchor. I just want him to take the running shot. Nothing too drastic after a good win.
    It is tonight!
    A late Anchor though is from Bevo's presser, and his Jordon Sweet anecdote......
    catching a plane, going through the boarding gate, and Sweet pulls up next to Bevo, and Bevo who hasn't seen him that day, says 'G'day Sweety' whilst the flight attendant is nearby......apparently hilarity ensued????

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

The obvious stars I'm gonna overlook. They'll get their kudo's elsewhere

1. Bailey Williams, just so vital now. He's a gun. But surely opposition coaching has to tell his man.. 'He's gonna try and baulk... don't buy it and you're gonna get a holding the ball inside 50!'

2. Cody, Cody. I was starting to think as a 170 something key forward, you're opportunities may be elsewhere. You showed tonight you can play the small forward role and therefore be the sit and stand taco of the AFL, and do both.

3. Duryea. did some really smart and tough stuff tonight. He's been a great recruit.

Anchors..

I want to say Lipinski... but in the last, he had some important moments and he held strong in those.

Nope. I'm gonna give some passes tonight.. but I'm eyeballing you Lipinski...Hannan.... lift your game..

Post Thanks / Like

B

Libba was rolled gold in tight tonight. As good a performance of that type you’ll see.
    Naughton, one sideways shot aside, was deadly in front of goal.
    Sweet battled manfully, looked hurt at one point, certainly sore post game. Thought he was really brave as an inexperienced ruckman.

A
    Pat Lipinski, passenger.
    McNeil’s two give offs instead of shots on goal, get hungry lad! Took a bit of shine off a good game.
    Crozier flying in recklessly and letting the ball out the back.

11. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2021: G’Day Sweety

That should be name of this years doco.

13. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Libba - extracting the ball from bottom of packs is incredible. Gets no kudos. Number one clearance player in AFL

2. Weightman's goal over his head - haven't seen one of those for a long time, and it was timely

3. Naughton's big mark and goal

Anchors

1. Crozier slamming the ball on his foot and turning it over and giving Port a sniff

2. Hannan - out of touch

3. Lippa - couldn't keep up with the fast paced game
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

JJ - thought he had some great contributions. 2 important long goals. 7 score involvements. Worked back hard to help the defenders too.
    Libba - his game was so good that it was the first thing I talked about to my under 12s. Just did amazing this in the contest.
    Cordy - huge last quarter and rock solid last night.

Anchors:

Crozier - isn't going that well. Important he finds some form while Woody is out.
    Hannan - struggling to get involved. But nice goal in the third.

16. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Bankers:

JJ - thought he had some great contributions. 2 important long goals. 7 score involvements. Worked back hard to help the defenders too.
    Libba - his game was so good that it was the first thing I talked about to my under 12s. Just did amazing this in the contest.
    Cordy - huge last quarter and rock solid last night.

Anchors:

Crozier - isn't going that well. Important he finds some form while Woody is out.
    Hannan - struggling to get involved. But nice goal in the third.
    Interesting to note Bevo was super happy with Hannan's game. "On paper, you may think he didn't have a great night, but he was oustanding and played his role perfectly" to paraphrase.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Interesting to note Bevo was super happy with Hannan's game. "On paper, you may think he didn't have a great night, but he was oustanding and played his role perfectly" to paraphrase.
    He clearly didn't have high expectations placed on Hannan.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He clearly didn't have high expectations placed on Hannan.
    I don't think that was his point. It may be yours
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

20. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Yes, I did see this (after having posted). And fair enough. Always hard to tell, particularly on tv, what the coaches are looking for. Hannan may have played a role in allowing Naughton and Bruce to get their opponents one on one, and Port are generally good at defending the high ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Yes, I did see this (after having posted). And fair enough. Always hard to tell, particularly on tv, what the coaches are looking for. Hannan may have played a role in allowing Naughton and Bruce to get their opponents one on one, and Port are generally good at defending the high ball.
    They’re good at defending the high ball but not at actually defending the players themselves. Once Clurey went off any Jonas actually had to do something other than his shitty McGovern impression they were in real trouble. Allir is having a nice season but is a very limited one on one defender, and got caught out many a time by Naughton.

A really good example of this is Naughton’s big mark in the third. It was spectacular and a great effort but no way in the world should Allir or Jonas have defended so statically and given him that much room to run and jump. Allir’s positioning in particular was nowhere and he couldn’t have set up worse to impact that contest.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

23. Likes boydogs liked this post