Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Richmond vs Port - Compare The Pair

Crozier not being up to the speed of the game or in-tune with it stood out to me as well, and having played a lot of footy from the bench under coaching that rarely used the bench I know how hard it is to come on and have an impact or even get up to speed.

The Fantasia goal saw Crozier get sucked to the contest instead of keeping his width meaning he couldn't pressure the crumb, and allowing Motlop to get onto his right to hit up a target who goaled are a couple of examples of this, but he played better in the second half.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I’m nearing half time. There were a couple of skill errors that cost Port the chance the keep their run going. That aside, to my eye there were some similarities around missed tackles and poor kicks out. To me we kept our defensive set up a lot better. None of the panic kick out that lead to panic under the returning ball. I also put some stock in Duryea. At the peak of their run on the near side he laid a good tackle and got a high fend-off free paid to him. He just held the footy for longer than usual, understood to slow the momentum and give our forwards a chance to compete. On the far side he took a good contested mark with two Port players nearby. Again he slows things down again and repeat. Just now instead of the deep panic kick, Duryea hits a shorter precise kick out to Naughton.

On the critical side, Crozier misses tackles, didn’t kill contests and later I recall a few bad kicks. I’d put several goals against Croz, with losing Wood’s calmness it was disappointing not to see the same maturity and execution that Duryea exercised. Bailey Dale with uncharacteristic skill errors.

My take away is better structure by the players and some mature influence by Duryea from what was the end of their run to us hitting the scoreboard again. Very happy with Doc.
    Yeah even in the 4th port fluffed a few chances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Not to sure what all the factors were for a much more mature performance this time but 1 big difference was Bailey Williams. We look so much better in defence when he's there competing. And much better coming from defence.
    Huge factor I think too.

He provides the composure when the ball is hotly contested, rarely gives it up when he plays on and creates play and has the elite kicking skill to play the first option and release a block 30 meters way.

When we played the tigers we were scared to take risks and failed to play on, the ball was stagnant in our heads and we constantly kicked to come tests.

Just watched the replay of the 3rd quarter this morning. Williams gathered the ball in a tackle, held onto it, spun around twice and then kicked a wobbly kick to Bont who was by himself 30 meters away. Setup a run down the wing and entry into 50.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m nearing half time. There were a couple of skill errors that cost Port the chance the keep their run going. That aside, to my eye there were some similarities around missed tackles and poor kicks out. To me we kept our defensive set up a lot better. None of the panic kick out that lead to panic under the returning ball. I also put some stock in Duryea. At the peak of their run on the near side he laid a good tackle and got a high fend-off free paid to him. He just held the footy for longer than usual, understood to slow the momentum and give our forwards a chance to compete. On the far side he took a good contested mark with two Port players nearby. Again he slows things down again and repeat. Just now instead of the deep panic kick, Duryea hits a shorter precise kick out to Naughton.

On the critical side, Crozier misses tackles, didn’t kill contests and later I recall a few bad kicks. I’d put several goals against Croz, with losing Wood’s calmness it was disappointing not to see the same maturity and execution that Duryea exercised. Bailey Dale with uncharacteristic skill errors.

My take away is better structure by the players and some mature influence by Duryea from what was the end of their run to us hitting the scoreboard again. Very happy with Doc.
    Watching this replay really opened my eyes up to Crozier. Not least the panicked kicks that led to goals later after half time. But I say this with clear mind, he’s a liability. I’ve been paying close attention over the weeks and there’s way too many mistakes (the ones that Young maybe be making or not). The panicked kicks to no target. There’s no creativity or hurt with his kicking. Long down the line or when he tries something more ambitious he far too frequently misses the target. He gets shaken too easy from tackles. He makes blunders like the holding the ball tonight. He’s often slow to comprehend other players instructions. There was a play tonight I think it was Macrae directing him to move the ball quickly. Croz saw and heard him, stopped, thought about it, looked around and eventually took the option Jack was telling him to make. But long enough for their defenders to set up.

If you’d have told me the end of 2019 that I’d be now a fan of Duryea to the extent I am and want to see Crozier improve at the VFL level i wouldn’t have believed you. But Doc does all the unfashionable defending and is quick in mind and clever enough by foot. I want Wood comes back after the bye and Croz gets a chance to improve his game. He’s got talent, but I’m not seeing it compute against Doc’s or Wood’s best footy right now.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 06-06-2021 at 10:32 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching this replay really opened my eyes up to Crozier. Not least the panicked kicks that led to goals later after half time. But I say this with clear mind, he’s a liability. I’ve been paying close attention over the weeks and there’s way too many mistakes (the ones that Young maybe be making or not). The panicked kicks to no target. There’s no creativity or hurt with his kicking. Long down the line or when he tries something more ambitious he far too frequently misses the target. He gets shaken too easy from tackles. He makes blunders like the holding the ball tonight. He’s often slow to comprehend other players instructions. There was a play tonight I think it was Macrae directing him to move the ball quickly. Croz saw and heard him, stopped, thought about it, looked around and eventually took the option Jack was telling him to make. But long enough for their defenders to set up.

If you’d have told me the end of 2019 that I’d be now a fan of Duryea to the extent I am and want to see Crozier improve at the VFL level i wouldn’t have believed you. But Doc does all the unfashionable defending and is quick in mind and clever enough by foot. I want Wood comes back after the bye and Croz gets a chance to improve his game. He’s got talent, but I’m not seeing it compute against Doc’s or Wood’s best footy right now.
    Doc was huge yesterday. Crozier's kicked suited the wet conditions later on I thought.

7. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post