Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Libba speaks out on Carlton tanking

pretty weak interview for the most part.

Lots of "maybe", "I think so", "personally not me", I'm not sure who said it"

Name names if you are going to do something like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Libba speaks out on Carlton tanking

When i heard the intro i was ROFLing

Who will he take down next.

You're right that there was allot of "well personally" and "i can't speak for him/them"

Still he was right but didn't tell anyone what we didn't know.

NO CLUB WILL HIRE HIM AGAIN.

Still, pretty funny and the AFL does have a problem here.

Post Thanks / Like

l think he can pretty much kiss his coaching carer goodbye.

No one will touch him now.

So who will he go after next?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THE DOGS BOLLOCKS View Post

I heard he was intimately involved in the last few months of the Howard and he's planning to tip the bucket on Alexander Downer.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the big question.

Is there anyone left?

Post Thanks / Like

I came on here going to post the same thing.

I actually feel very sad for him now.

This will end very poorly for him.

Vale Libba

He needs to go away and hide for 5-10 years and apologise for the massive brain fart he had in 2006-7-8.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread.

Of course, there's the question why he's come out and said this?

And he has no future with any club now.

But what he alleged about Carlton makes sense.

IMO, the AFL is an absolute joke if they chase Paul Roos without following this up.

Also begs a question about other bottom teams like us under Rohde and if we've ever done this sort of thing?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty weak and smacks of sour grapes (again).

If he had these concerns or thought these things why did he wait so long to air them? If he is coming out now to clear his conscience then it begs the question of whether he had a conscience whilst he was still employed by Carlton or whether they conscience developed once his services had been terminated.

I'm all for supportiung whistleblowers, but there is a VERY definite line between dumping on your previous employer and blowing the lid on something. Poor form Libba. lets hope your son isn't cut form the same cloth!

Post Thanks / Like

AFL rocked by Carlton 'tank' claims

The Age - Thomas Arup - March 14, 2008

CARLTON deliberately underperformed in its last four matches last season in a bid to secure better players in the AFL draft, its former assistant coach Tony Liberatore said last night.

In an explosive interview, Liberatore said Carlton was more concerned with securing high draft picks, which enabled it to sign up superstar Chris Judd, than winning the games.

Speaking on last night's Footy Show, he said that the Carlton coaching staff didn't prepare properly, played players who didn't deserve a game, refused to make moves in the coaching box and sent key players off for surgery when they could have played.

It is the first time that someone from inside the club has publicly confirmed what was widely suspected in the broader football community.

His remarks will put pressure on the AFL to deal with "tanking", which its chief executive Andrew Demetriou last year insisted did not exist.

When asked whether Carlton's behaviour constituted tanking, Liberatore said: "Personally I would say yes."

The former Western Bulldogs champion and Brownlow medallist, who left Carlton at the end of last season, said the club's actions made him feel extremely uncomfortable.

He said after Carlton lost the last match of the season — ensuring it won a priority draft pick — he did not attend an after-match function because he had "a bit of an empty feeling".

He said his fellow coaching staff were unconcerned by the loss and he felt that there was no point in suggesting moves in the coaches' box.

Asked if he thought Carlton coach Brett Ratten had deliberately lost the last game to Melbourne, he responded: "Maybe … I can only talk for myself. I would not try to lose it, maybe others in there tried to lose it."

He contrasted Ratten's attitude with that of Denis Pagan, who was sacked after round 16.

"This might coincide with Denis moving on as well, because I always thought Denis always wanted to win, no matter what," he said. Ratten, who spoke to The Age from last night's AFL season launch, said that he had "heard a whisper" yesterday about Liberatore's interview, but would not comment without having seen it.

But Carlton last night issued a terse statement saying it "emphatically denies" Liberatore's claims. It called a press conference for today to discuss the tanking claims.

Carlton's last match was dubbed the "Kreuzer Cup" after young ruckman Matthew Kreuzer, whom Carlton secured with its top pick. When asked if anybody had talked directly about tanking before the match, Liberatore said: "I never heard it, but I could feel it."

After the season, West Coast, which lost Judd to Carlton, accused the Blues of tanking. Sydney coach Paul Roos said the fact Carlton was able to pick up the land's most desired player by losing 11 games straight was the "ugly side" of football.

Despite this, Demetriou rejected calls for an overhaul of the draft system, saying those who said coaches were trying to lose games were "delusional". He did not comment last night.

Post Thanks / Like

He is stating the obvious here.
    Last year wasn't the first year its happened either.
    Don't worry the AFL have more important things on their plate, must expand to 18 teams . Two more teams to tank and get unfair advantages.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Pretty weak and smacks of sour grapes (again).

If he had these concerns or thought these things why did he wait so long to air them? If he is coming out now to clear his conscience then it begs the question of whether he had a conscience whilst he was still employed by Carlton or whether they conscience developed once his services had been terminated.

I'm all for supportiung whistleblowers, but there is a VERY definite line between dumping on your previous employer and blowing the lid on something. Poor form Libba. lets hope your son isn't cut form the same cloth!
    As am I but there are correct channels to go through and he has decided to not use them. He should have gone to the AFL first and if they refused to do anything then go to the media.

Alas there was nothing in the interview that was too groundbreaking. Most of it was already known and as Ernie said, not the first time it's happened and won't be the last.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the way the AFL refuse to accept anything that will see them in a negative light until it simply can't be denied any more.

"We had an inquiry and found there was no substance to the allegations".

Since priority picks were introduced, something like:

22 clubs have missed out on a priority pick by 2 games*
    16 clubs have finished exactly on the limit to allow them a priority pick*
    7 clubs have finished 2 games below the priority pick limit*

Only one club (Geelong, 2003) has ever missed out on a priority pick by a single game and that was because Geelong and Melbourne were both on the limit and played each other round 22 that year).

This is not enough evidence to say "Melbourne tanked in 2003" but it is enough evidence to say "tanking is real and happens". Instead, Demetriou trots out the standard AFL-approved denial "tanking doesn't exist".

FFS. Wake up. Tanking is very real and will remain until the priority picks are scrapped altogether.

* These figures are estimates because I couldn't be stuffed getting the actual figures, but the gist of this is true.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    As am I but there are correct channels to go through and he has decided to not use them. He should have gone to the AFL first and if they refused to do anything then go to the media.
    Correct channels? The AFL don't want to know.
    I didn't see the interview but I sounds like too much is being made of it. Sounds like Libba basically inffered what everyone knows without actually saying. Channel 9 wanted the story and got it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    * These figures are estimates because I couldn't be stuffed getting the actual figures, but the gist of this is true.
    Scooper making them up ala mpsbulldog?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Scooper making them up ala mpsbulldog?
    At least I admit it!