Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  98
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: R. Smith is just a reliable player who should be IN every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Interesting thoughts mike - i thought he was very good in the final versus the saints last year and had a good combination of size, running power and kicking ability - but so far they've preferred others

maybe Saturday is the reminder the match committee needed

Not all players will shine brightly for 150 games + but if you get enough blokes shining at the right time in the best window of their career then who knows what happens (yes, Im thinking of C.Smith, S.Biggs, J.Hamling, F.Roberts etc)
    The last point is a great one.

Post Thanks / Like

And the haircut has made all the difference!
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

3. Likes N/A, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    The last point is a great one.
    It’s just so rare the player who has the Brad Johnson 300+ game career but we will see lots of guys have Nigel Kellett (101 games), Shane Biggs (63 games) like careers - or think of how bright a Mark West (16 games) and Clay Smith (55 games) shone, or even the great Magic Mclean who only played 95 games for us

Not all guys have the window or opportunity to have the Johnno career - a guy like Tony Scott might have 80 great games for the club or it could be 25 - it’s hard to predict

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    It’s just so rare the player who has the Brad Johnson 300+ game career but we will see lots of guys have Nigel Kellett (101 games), Shane Biggs (63 games) like careers - or think of how bright a Mark West (16 games) and Clay Smith (55 games) shone, or even the great Magic Mclean who only played 95 games for us

Not all guys have the window or opportunity to have the Johnno career - a guy like Tony Scott might have 80 great games for the club or it could be 25 - it’s hard to predict
    Schache and Lew Young could win us multiple flags if they can have 40 good games over a two year window.

Lots of players do this, and many teams have taken the next step as a result. It’s why players survive on lists for as long as they do. A couple of years of good service, particularly in tough positions, can be worth 6, 8, 10 years of investment.

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roarke has become a very reliable player, doing the role that is set for him. He is not a star, he is a foot soldier that Bevo knows he will follow instructions and play for the team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes azabob, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Something I’ve noticed the last two weeks - Roarke Smith, good kick?

He seems to have added an extra 5m to his leg and is hitting some deft passes. The one to JJ in the Port game looked like a Bont pass.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes hujsh, Testekill, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whenever Billings lined up on the same wing as Roarke, he was very good defensively on him. At one point I thought Roarke was tagging him, but as the game evolved realised he was just working & concentrating hard on a dangerous opponent. Liked his game again.

13. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great tackle, HTB and goal when he drifted forward. Sometimes calling a player ‘a good ordinary player’ is a bit of a put down. But with Roarke it’s a dead set compliment. He’s an all round good ordinary player who is executing the role Bevo wants.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His tackle on Clarke was perfect. Clarke is great at evading and squirming out of tackles. Would Lipinski have held that tackle?

17. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    His tackle on Clarke was perfect. Clarke is great at evading and squirming out of tackles. Would Lipinski have held that tackle?
    No he wouldn't have.

Roarke is playing his role perfectly, totally team first footy and playing within his limitations whilst still taking the aggressive kick when the opportunity arises... his role on the wing will be super important this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

He seems to have added an extra 5m to his leg and is hitting some deft passes. The one to JJ in the Port game looked like a Bont pass.
    Yeah I feel like he's been surprisingly good as well. Can't think of specific examples but I feel like he's surprised me in a good way a few times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    No he wouldn't have.

Roarke is playing his role perfectly, totally team first footy and playing within his limitations whilst still taking the aggressive kick when the opportunity arises... his role on the wing will be super important this week.
    Great to see his evolution as a player. When he first started he did try a few flashy things but has settled. Touch wood for Roarke and his injuries. With that behind him, a 100 game career would be a real achievement. The average is about 60 games I once read.

Smith Channeling a bit of Barry Hall with the look.

Bailey Williams is one of my favorite quiet workhorses on the team.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    No he wouldn't have.

A tagging role on Langdon perhaps ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    A tagging role on Langdon perhaps ?
    Yep, I like it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

23. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

Seems to kick to dangerous space pretty well, asking the forward to come to it.

Interesting spot he’s filled on the list...some less kind reviews would think he’s a list clogger, but mature depth like Roarke is gold when injuries pile up.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs